Star Wars Knights of the old republic won't work :(

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
lazyonion

Star Wars Knights of the old republic won't work :(

Post by lazyonion »

I have a Mobility Raedon 9000 which is supported, but not recomended by the game. I cannot install any new drivers, because ATI says the card is optimized for the flat notebook screen (I think this is part of the problem) All my other computer features match the reccomendations for the game and it is clearly stated that ATI Raedon Mobility 9000 is supported.

O.K. Heres my problem:
All the intro movies etc. work fine and the game begins to load; then suddenly the screen goes navy blue and the computer seems to freeze. Then the windows error message,Send error report thingy, comes up and the program shuts down.This happens even on the lowest resolution.

I hope someone has some advice for me as I really want to play this game.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

the game itself is also a little buggy, without the patches - try downloading the latest patch from lucasarts and see.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Willow

Post by Willow »

Notebook graphics cards are notorious for not running games, the patch may or my not help. You could try updating to the latest drivers.

I'm running a Leadtek 128MB Geforce FX5200, I also had problems so I downloaded the patch, all 25MB of it on a 56k modem. Did'nt help at all.
So I emailed lucasarts.com tech support. They replied that they only do support for the USA and Canada. :evil: .... was not impressed!

I subsequently found that it was my graphics card was over-heating and locking up the PC during the game. So I bolted the biggest fan I could find to the heat sink. :idea: It works OK now.
"In the land of the wit-less, the half-wit is crowned." - Robert Frezza
scryed

Post by scryed »

try older drivers, round about mid 2003 that should solve the problem
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

I wouldnt even worry the game sucks anyway!
P4 2.8c @ 3.0gig
Zalman 7000A-Cu Cooler
MSI 875P Neo FIS2R
2 x 512 ddr400
Gigabyte 6800GT
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
Logitech z-680 speakers
Samsung 19" true flat.
480w Thermaltake PSU
CMStacker Chassis
Lifeview 3000 TV Card
Thermaltake Ha
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Yeah I guess that's why it won so many awards and has been thought to be one of the best RPG's ever... :roll:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
MaZZwaR

Post by MaZZwaR »

sorry guys, but wat are the min. requirred specs for KOTOR?
SoulErazor

Post by SoulErazor »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Yeah I guess that's why it won so many awards and has been thought to be one of the best RPG's ever... :roll:
Yeah, flipping right the game is absolutely awesome, I've clocked it six times now with Light & Dark endings & all party quests complete as well. I can't wait for KOTOR 2 to arrive!!
In The Name Of God,Impure Souls Of The Living Dead Shall Be Banished Into Eternal Damnation,Amen
SS4Vegeta

KOTOR: Game doesn't play properly

Post by SS4Vegeta »

I have a problem the game kinda gets stuck when I play it. it stutters along. stop start kinda way. the movies play fine. what could be the problem.

Other games like FEAR and NFS Carbon work fine.

I've got a Radeon 9550 and 1 gig of RAM, could this be the problem ?

Thanks in advance
jPm

Post by jPm »

E-Man wrote:I wouldnt even worry the game sucks anyway!
Dude, you seriously need to play the game again if you think it Sucks.

This game was one of the best games ever.

NB: This game requires a specific shader model, check whether your gfx has it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jPm wrote:Dude, you seriously need to play the game again if you think it Sucks.
i think it sucks and i haven't even played it! :) [size=0]seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to care...[/size]
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

rustypup wrote:
jPm wrote:Dude, you seriously need to play the game again if you think it Sucks.
i think it sucks and i haven't even played it! :) [size=0]seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to care...[/size]
How can you say that if you have not even tried it? I was sceptical but tried it and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much I am playing the game again. It is good and does play well without the patches as I completed mine recently without the patches.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

CesarePlay wrote:How can you say that if you have not even tried it?
[size=0]seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to care...[/size]
<magnify>
seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to respond...
</magnify>

this thread lived and died in 2004, so i doubt that very few of the original respondents will be around to defend their posts :wink: ..

and yes, I was being facetious...

this game was badly bugged at release, but the megarom distro has all the necessary patches included..

@SS4Vegeta: was this a second-hand install or did you purchase this one recently?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

rustypup wrote:
CesarePlay wrote:How can you say that if you have not even tried it?
[size=0]seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to care...[/size]
<magnify>
seriously, check the prior post date - I doubt E-Man's going to respond...
</magnify>

this thread lived and died in 2004, so i doubt that very few of the original respondents will be around to defend their posts :wink: ..
Yeah, we be a dying species... Getting too old to be able to type on these here darn hard keyboards... brittle fingers taking the punishment sonny

:lol: :lol:
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za