What programming languages for schools?

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
vv3bcr3atur3

What programming languages for schools?

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

So what programming languages do you think should be teached at schools?
Basicaly: should it be Java, Delphi/Kylix, C++ or something else. If you say something else please post it here why??????.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

I think they should teach C++, although it's probably harder to understand I think it's more worth while.
SmL9

Post by SmL9 »

At our school they teach java, however I don't know much about other languages...
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

I think Java is a good way to go since it kind of force you to start to learn students Object Orientation. Plus it is usable on any platform (OS independent!)
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

I think either VB or Delphi should be taught. They are event-driven applications and make more sense to younger learners than C++ and Java. I think the two latter languages should be covered in matric and pupils should design (simple) programs in each of the 4 as the final matric computer project.

When I was in matric, 2 years ago, my computer teacher keeping telling us how we were going to learn Delphi instead of Turbo Pascal (man, I hated Turbo Pascal) but never got around to it. My brother who is in matric now, is still doing Pascal (at same high school). Talk about a waste of time.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
P0t5h0tK1n9

Post by P0t5h0tK1n9 »

We do Java, but the other kids don't seem to get it. :?
I think Java is easy, but we should also be taught C/C++, just to get a scope of both kinds of programming. I agree that C/C++ is probably more worthwhile than Java.
How many OS's are made in Java?
How many games are made in Java?

Precisely

We are probably not amused.
Or are we?
You WILL visit the Blog
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

P0t5h0tK1n9 wrote:How many OS's are made in Java?
Sun is making a 3d shell for Linux: Project Lookingglass
P0t5h0tK1n9 wrote:How many games are made in Java?
Tis number is also growing
P0t5h0tK1n9

Post by P0t5h0tK1n9 »

Oh, OK, but it's still only the shell!

Well, whatever, I would rather learn C++ than Java, is all I'm saying.

Or are we?
You WILL visit the Blog
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

ok, ppl at our school cant even get the basics of pascal, I mean, they've been doing it for 1 1/2 years and they cant even code a simple prog. Now you ppl want them to learn C++ and java 8O
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

If you want to learn them right learn them Object Orientation from the start!
P0t5h0tK1n9

Post by P0t5h0tK1n9 »

I'm not learning Tubo Pascal, I'm learnig Java. :x
I think you should focus on one language, but also give the kids the commands translated into a few other languages.

Eg. They teach you System.out.print in Java, but also tell you that prinf in C will do the same thing etc.

Or are we?
You WILL visit the Blog
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

Agree. I also think Delphi is nice for students but then you have to learn it with Objects not procedure-driven.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

vv3bcr3atur3 wrote:Agree. I also think Delphi is nice for students but then you have to learn it with Objects not procedure-driven.
We're the last grade in our school to do TP, the next will do delphi. Shame we missed it with 1 year. I've been fiddling with delphi for so long, i could've gotten better marks :cry:
Uranium

Post by Uranium »

I think what might be a cool idea (although maybe a bit hard to implement) would be to have an advanced Computers subject for OOP languages, and a standard computers subject for TP, or maybe an easy-to-understand OOP language like VB[.Net].
UR@|\|1U|\/|
My PC:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
2GB DDR400 RAM
GeForce 6800GT 256MB
120 GB SATA HDD
heXie

Post by heXie »

java is the flavour, seys da department, and will be implemented next or the following year (apparently) :roll:
Read your mail often? Get some CASH while ur at it!!! Go here:

http://go.readclick.com/refid.cgi?refid=203290
NightStalker

Post by NightStalker »

I say C# .NET. It is the newest language out and us very worht while learning! :)
Uranium

Post by Uranium »

It would be awesome to use C# at school, but wouldn't it be a be hard to teach to those students who have major difficulties in Pascal?
UR@|\|1U|\/|
My PC:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
2GB DDR400 RAM
GeForce 6800GT 256MB
120 GB SATA HDD
Uranium

Post by Uranium »

Also... I think getting a compiler for free might be a bit tricky, as it is unlikely that the department is going to recommend using Microsoft Visual Studio betas for schools.
UR@|\|1U|\/|
My PC:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
2GB DDR400 RAM
GeForce 6800GT 256MB
120 GB SATA HDD
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

NightStalker wrote:I say C# .NET. It is the newest language out and us very worht while learning! :)
New is not always best. I recomend before moving to the .NET platform to learn some other languages first else you would not be able to use .NET for what it was intended (Multiple languages). I still think Java is better to start learning with though.
Uranium wrote:I think getting a compiler for free might be a bit tricky, as it is unlikely that the department is going to recommend using Microsoft Visual Studio betas for schools.
Wouldn't mono work?
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

wat abt VB.NET i've found to be easier than java or c++ and a great way to start.
i started out with c++ and lemme tell you, it's not fun :evil:
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Yes vv3bcr3atur3 mono has a free .NET compiler but it only runs on linux and most schools are still intent on using MS boxes as they have to give MS Office to lower grade CS students.

Skunky sorry for this mate but VB is one lame bottom lang my man. Don't get me wrong here it has it''s place in the government where you want a kind of rapid language that is easy enouth to use for the lame assed ppl that sit there the whole day and call themselves software developers. In fact if you only work in vb and you call yourself a developer you are mistaken you can actually be taken for a GUI designer more than anything else.
Flint

Post by Flint »

Java all the way.
C++ is great, but a little too complex for first time learners (trust me, i'v had to try hammering the idea of pointers into beginning programmer's heads-not fun), it's also a dying language professionally. You heard me. Yes, I love C++ too, but the only place where C++ makes sense anymore is in game dev, it's dying out in corporates. Sure, there will be legacy systems, but you won't see many new systems being built in it.
Java is also built from the ground up to implement O-O and it does a great job of it, and the transition from Java to any other similar language (and all the big ones these days are similar) is relatively painless. Simple little API issues like System.out.println vs printf are not really worth broaching at a high school level.
As for visual languages. NO. No offense to anyone, but I have had to deal with too many programmers that started on visual languages and never really understood the low-level issues. Programmers should learn to code first. Drag and drop ide's should be secondary.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Promises - thats all we get from the department. We were supposed to start Delphi in 2004, and now the department is telling us that Delphi has been scrapped and they're doing Java from next year. But guess wat??? We're still stuck on bl00dy Turbo Pascal till end of 2005!!!
razor

Post by razor »

we do java, i find i quite easy(i dont know any otherlanguages)
but lots of people struggle with it (not me i get top marks)
started it last year and we should strat doing GUIs this year
meaning i van finally start making usefull programs :)
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

razor wrote:we do java, i find i quite easy(i dont know any otherlanguages)
but lots of people struggle with it (not me i get top marks)
started it last year and we should strat doing GUIs this year
meaning i van finally start making usefull programs :)
U have no idea how much I envy u!!! :D Hehehe, we have 2 few ppl in our school who take computer studies (2 of us in a school of 1250) so we only have 1 hour of computer studies a week - after school! Everyone else dropped out cause they couldnt handle it. At the moment Im tops - (86% :lol: ). But I seriously wish we could do Delphi or Java - though I hear from some other forums that Delphi aint that great.

Oh ja - by the way, welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay!