Far Cry

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
halo

Far Cry

Post by halo »

hi all, i took my copy of farcry to a friends house this weekend to see what it looks like but to our horror it looks like sh**... the textures are all over the show and the lighting is completely wrong.... ill post a screen shot when i get it to school. what do you think the problem is....

the pcs specs :

amd 2400xp +
512 mb DDR 333
Geforce Fx 5700 128 md DDR
120Gb x 2

here is the funny thing... when you drop the settings down to low, everything seems to look fine... whats up with that? :?:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well had the same problem last night.I tweaked my card a little last night and wanted to test it out, so I switched everyhing to the highest possible....and had more or less the same problem.But once I've gone down to lower settings all was well.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Probably drivers?

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Unlikely I've got froceware drivers installed I think it's drivers version 63.00
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Should your system be able to handle all the graphics at their highest or did you just turn it up to see what it would look like as a test?

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well..Yes with a little lag.

Geforce FX5200 should run the game just fine even with the highest settings af far as I know.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

wizardofid wrote:Well..Yes with a little lag.

Geforce FX5200 should run the game just fine even with the highest settings af far as I know.
er no... unless you happen to have a 5 Ghz processor in there somewhere, Far Cry is very resource intensive at its highest settings.

Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:
wizardofid wrote:Well..Yes with a little lag.

er no... unless you happen to have a 5 Ghz processor in there somewhere, Far Cry is very resource intensive at its highest settings.
Kenobi is right lookat the system specs a GFX5950 is required for best quality alon with a 3000 machine and 1gig ram
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ya, a GeFore FX5200 runs it...but not well enough to let you relax into the game and appreciate its beauty. Always thinking "Man, this is getting jerky." Or, "Ooh, a big monsters shooting at me, he's there...no wait, he's there...no wait! He's over there!" So jerky you can't aim right. Otherwise, funnily enough, the game runs smoothly on the outdoor scenes, but in the indoor scenes, it can get very laggy. It's nice when a game runs without having graphics ussies be detremental to the gameplay.
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

Mikdog wrote:Ya, a GeFore FX5200 runs it...but not well enough to let you relax into the game and appreciate its beauty. Always thinking "Man, this is getting jerky." Or, "Ooh, a big monsters shooting at me, he's there...no wait, he's there...no wait! He's over there!" So jerky you can't aim right. Otherwise, funnily enough, the game runs smoothly on the outdoor scenes, but in the indoor scenes, it can get very laggy. It's nice when a game runs without having graphics ussies be detremental to the gameplay.
Ihsahn feels ur pain, that he does
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
Mire

Post by Mire »

My farcry water looks strange on the highest water detail. If I stand on a pier that runs out over the water, the 'reflections' of the posts that hold up the pier radiate outwards from the pier, to a little bit higher than the horizon. I have a MSI FX 5900 Ultra 256mb. Is anyone else having this problem? My friends with ATIs don't have the problem. My drivers are fairly recent, but not up to date. Would updating help?
style121

Post by style121 »

ATI Rule!!!!! YEhhhhh!
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

i installed farcry demo on the pc, after running it i got quite a shock, i can only explain what i saw if you smoke something illegal and watch a xxx movie. probably my old ati which goofed off :wink:

umm...ATI ROX!!
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

far cry would be a really cool game if it was programmed properly, for the graphics you get there is no way it should need the resources it does.
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

kailinin wrote:far cry would be a really cool game if it was programmed properly, for the graphics you get there is no way it should need the resources it does.
Why do you say that? The maps are bigger than any other FPS out there, there's more objects such as foilage etc. than any other FPS - just look at how UT 2004 when you play on really big maps.

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

far cry would be a really cool game if it was programmed properly, for the graphics you get there is no way it should need the resources it does.
Definetely. A game like Call of Duty can have HUNDREDS of characters running across the screen and have NO slowdown on a GeForce FX5200. The game comes bundled with the card in some areas because it runs so well on the card. But, a friend played Call of Duty on his GeForce (something better than a FX5200, like 5700 ULTRA or in that range that runs Far Cry superbly) and the game was unplayable it was so slow. !!!. So, depending on what the programmer's aiming for card-wise, will drastically determine the playability you get out of a particular game. Strange. One universal card would be cool. Suppose like Playstation 2. Coders can take one standard machine and push it to its limits...not that the PS2 is comparable to a PC! :oops:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Newsflash :!:

The PS2 is a Heavily modified PC. It runs on the i386 architecture and even has an AGP and PCI bus on it. So it is for all purposes a PC. Well more like a laptop than anything else.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I dig Far Cry maps. The player feels as a familiar id title FPS, but with a bit of an attitude. The movement and physics are very akin to Quake3 engine games - obviously.

The options you have for mission plans are incredible.

You wanna swim across to nearby island, and then back across to the mainland through a hole in the rock - sure !
But you can also skirt around the jungle, or run along the beach front.

The game includes scenarios for each - very cool.

I personally think Far Cry will go down as the "Contendor to the Crown" - the game that was underated, but ahead of it's time !
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Farcry is a good game and a bad game

Well um ...er "puts head on a chopping block"
The game ..isn't bad nor is it all that good.
What I liked about the game
The maps are great
The guns are great , a bit limited but great
The intro and the cut-scences were great.
The play "boymerc" in some of the tents were funny
The AI is the best I've seen in a long time

What sucked
The long loading times
Having to crawl around 90% of the time so ppl don't see you.I wanted at least a little bit of dukenukem in there.Some senseless killing

Grass skins totally sucked
Trees and plants were NOT fully 3d.
Rocks sucked too Um I didn't see any "real" Bumpmapping
Artifacts sucked big time....farcry can learn a lot from Max Payne 2
Water sucked big time...farcry can learn alot from unreal2004
Skins of animals sucked....Hitman 2 had better skins even the birds were better than farcry's.
Lighting sucked big time...could learn alot from N4S underground
Same goes for reflections....Unreal2004 does a far better job
So if I had to rated this game it would be some thing like this
Score out of 10

Gameplay 8
Grahpics 7
Sound 5

Over all a good game for a start.A lot of mistakes were made...so if they are making a farcry 2...lets pray it's better.

So I'll be playing unreal2004 more often.
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

Hey

Please tell me if this is normal:
I have a P4 1.7, hercules ati 9600 pro and 512mb of ram.
Nothing is overclocked and yet I can run far cry at full resolution and highest settings, with my cards settings also on the highest (anti aliasing and so on) and there is absolutely no slowdown. Judging from what you guys have said, that is way below a system to enjoy it at the fullest.
Any ideas how this is possible?
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

sinner777 wrote:Hey

Nothing is overclocked and yet I can run far cry at full resolution and highest settings, with my cards settings also on the highest (anti aliasing and so on) and there is absolutely no slowdown. Judging from what you guys have said, that is way below a system to enjoy it at the fullest.
I think what makes it run that nice is a combination of your gfx card and the large amount of memory that you have... :D

But maybe not...
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

the only theory that I have is that I am using a thermaltake case with a whole lot of fans, my average temp is about 30 degrees.
that's the only possibility I think
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

sinner777 wrote:Hey

You should run something like Fraps and you'll probably see you're running the game at 20fps or something - even my 2000+, 512mb ram and 5900XT can't run it at highest details and get more than 25fps. I need to upgrade my mobo and CPU.

Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote: You should run something like Fraps and you'll probably see you're running the game at 20fps or something - even my 2000+, 512mb ram and 5900XT can't run it at highest details and get more than 25fps. I need to upgrade my mobo and CPU.
oh ja, how is your 5900XT, didn't go and buy it yesterday? :?:

should be nice :P
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

I'll check the frames, I tested it just last night though and I played without any lag, I also got to benchmark it in 3d mark again and see. no jokes here, the machine runs it perfectly.