Case Modding Help

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
CyberFlame

Case Modding Help

Post by CyberFlame »

Hi all

I need some help with my case modding. This is my first mod i'm attempting. Like all of you i want to cut a shape out on the side of me pc towr case. The problem is, is that i want to cut out an x shape. I don't have a dremel tool only a jisaw and i'm running on a tight budget.(I'm 18 years old) The x shape you can check out on your pc, just type an x with thu tubular font.

All i would like to know is, would the jigsaw do the work for me? Any hints and tips would be greatly aprechiated.

My email is: cflame@iway.na

Thanx a bunch!
Drevil

Post by Drevil »

Jigsaws are the best. You will amazed at the detail you can cutout with a jigsaw. Dremels are only for the really fine work. I cut a picture of a dragon into the side of my case, then smoothed it down with a file and sandpaper.

Just tape up the side (masking tape) as that will prevent a lot of scratching.
SS_Titanic

Post by SS_Titanic »

I agree, haven't done any mods but have done some sheeting work and for those obscure angles the jigsaw is the best
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Best bet is find the nearest art/graphic design student to your location and ask them to use their press equipment to do a nice job for you. @ PTech they have a press that is similar to that used for shaping vehicle panels such as door and such. I found that that works best. Nice clean and completely perfecto to your design. Or you could get yourself a contact at a metal refinery where they have programmable lazer cutting tools. That will also do a very nice job that won't leave you with tear or scratch marks.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

I have found that a jigsaw works pretty well. JUST GO SLOWLY! Also you really need to use some sort of tape to make sure the whole deal doesn't slip and scratch your case.
naughty

Post by naughty »

programmable lazer cutting tools. That will also do a very nice job that won't leave you with tear or scratch marks
i have investigated this and unfortuanately if the panel has any painting anodising or powder coating on it its going to have to be redone after laser cutting - maybe water jet cutting might be the answer but i still need to try that out at my contact - i can get lasercutting and waterjet cutting as well as CNC punching done in Durban

small pic of the level of detail that lasercutting can get done

OR

remember thats only on raw steel

to the origional poster - yes a jigsaw will definitely do the job but you will need to put lots of masking tape onto the surface that you are cutting then mark out your shape that you wish to cut and then drill pilot holes into every corner or bend and then do the cut around 1mm on the inside of the marking - then you can remove the tape then file the edges smooth - time consuming but rewarding when done correctly
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Wow - now that's cool 8O
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

I would like apic like that on my case
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Drevil

Post by Drevil »

Naughty

Please let know about the water cutting.
naughty

Post by naughty »

will do :wink: - just need to try it out once and see if it works perfectly - BTW - beanie has his stuff in and wait for a great looking case soon - his project is beginning to take shape and he is working faster than me LOL
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

DJT wrote:I would like apic like that on my case
I am gettng Elvish font on mine :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Drevil

Post by Drevil »

naughty wrote:will do :wink: - just need to try it out once and see if it works perfectly - BTW - beanie has his stuff in and wait for a great looking case soon - his project is beginning to take shape and he is working faster than me LOL
time to get a move on :D . I can't wait to see Beanie's

Hopefully we will have a few UV toys to play with in a couple of weeks.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I am gettng Elvish font on mine :P
Great idea - we need to see pics when that's done :-)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Do any of u guys know where i can get water cutting done in JHB and the aprox. price
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio