Which Laptop Should I Get?

Any hardware related topics go here.
MattB

Which Laptop Should I Get?

Post by MattB »

I am looking to buy a new laptop for university next year. Initially I thought about getting an ultra book and a desktop in lieu of my current Dell XPS 15 (L502x), but I think it will work out cheaper getting another desktop replacement. That being said I obviously want something light and portable, but powerful too. It must also have a good screen and a long(ish) battery life. I own and use many of Adobe's CS6 programs. When I get the chance to do some gaming I want something to be able to run most games well, but I don't want a spaceship made out of depleted uranium that I will have to lug around on my back. Also I do use programs such as Blender, After Effects etc. more often so I would like a bit more processing power for that. I do have a 25" screen on my desk at home that I use with my current laptop so if I need bigger I've got it. In my own search I have come up with two laptops from companies that I have owned laptops from before, and many of my friends have too, whose service and quality I trust. However I am not sure which one to get? In terms of pure specs which one would you choose? And judging from what I am looking at what other laptops could you suggest? Thanks - Matt
Spoiler: (show)
Processor Name Intel Core i7-3632QM
Processor Speed 2.2 GHz
RAM 8 GB
Weight 2.6 kg
Height 2.32 cm
Screen Size 15.6 inches
Screen Type Standard
Screen Resolution 1920x1080
Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT 640M
Graphics Memory 2 GB
2nd Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage Capacity 1 TB (+ 32GB)
Storage Type HDD (+ Flash)
Networking Options 802.11n
Primary Optical Drive DVD+/-RW DL with Blu-Ray
Price R21,350.00
Spoiler: (show)
Processor Name Intel Core i7-3615QM
Processor Speed 2.6 GHz
RAM 8 GB
Weight 2.02 kg
Height 1.8 cm
Screen Size 15.4 inches
Screen Type Widescreen
Screen Resolution 2880x1800
Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
Graphics Memory 1GB
2nd Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage Capacity 512 GB
Storage Type Flash
Networking Options 802.11n
Primary Optical Drive None
Price R22,650.00
(P.S. My budget is about R23,000.00)
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Which Laptop Should I Get?

Post by StarBound »

I would forget about the 2nd laptop because of the screen rez. It looks awesome if you ever looked at a macbook pro but try to play games at that resolution and you are instantly at a loss.

I'll get down to brass tax. It will be cheaper to get a proper gaming desktop and then go for an ultrabook as your primary device you take to classes ect. I'm using the ASUS Zenbook prime UX31A ( http://www.nivo.co.za/buy~asus.zenbook. ... .pc~p32789 ) and my batery life is aprox 5-7 hours. The IPS screen is nice. And it still comes with Windows 7 (the one I bought atleast). What is missing is the numpad and as someone that does numbers and figures that loss is a huge problem. But again its not a gaming device. So check to see if you need a dedicated gpu.

If you do there is another zenbook that has an i7 cpu in it and a geforce chip. But they are expensive. With your budget you might even go for a cheap laptop, or as I call them, a craptop :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.