Dead Space 3 - The good, the bad and the ***

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Dead Space 3 - The good, the bad and the ***

Post by StarBound »

For my birthday my bro gave me a copy of Dead Space 3. I never liked the first one and tried as I might I never got into Dead Space 2 regardless of having bought it for PS3 and getting it for free from Origin. I've played the game co-op for 10 chapters now so here it is. My Dead Space 3 experience so far!

The Good
The game is very easy to pick up and play. At first you will find the game framelocked but that is easily bypassed. Simply deselect vsync in game and your can experience the game in either a sweet 60fps or in my case 120fps and vsynced from your displays control panel. The co-op so far has been very fun. Your "loot" is shared when picking up upgrades and weapon parts meaning both get the parts but further your loot is your own in that you pick up your own med packs and ammo.
Setting up your game you can allow for resurrection making the constant reload not as constant as it could have been.
And for games going linear in an open world environment DS3 sees Carver feeling the hallucinations that effect Isaac in the past and it is only visible to Carver. A second playthru might be worth it.

The Bad
Lazy developement seems to the common these days. You can get all the latest shader effects but you share the same texture resolution from the console counter part. This makes the game look good and bad at the same time. Imagine seeing a PB sandwich with full grain shading but the peanut butter looks like frosting on a donut.
The atmosphere takes the biggest knock. Sadly scare tactics only works for a given time before it gets old. DS3 your only fear is that you run out of ammo and that happened once in 10 chapters.

The ***
Dead Space 3 off the shelf ...R350. Dead Space 3 complete ...R1000 or around there. The game is loaded with DLC to buy instantly and taking it even further when crafting a weapon and missing parts, just pay real money for it.
This is NOT game breaking though. So far I felt no need to rely on this in any form. But the fact that it is there and that I have not all the parts for everything I can craft if troubling. Crysis 3 is around the corner. What is up its sleeve for the future of gaming? Not to mention SimCity.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Dead Space 3 - The good, the bad and the ***

Post by KALSTER »

My bruv is in love with this game.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Dead Space 3 - The good, the bad and the ***

Post by StarBound »

So I finished the game with my bro last night. I liked the game. I thought it was good but the level design lacked imagination. The optional missions looked very much the same. The co-op is well done but I would have liked it if Carver got a bigger part of the co-op back story. Overall a very fun game.

The complaint would be that as far as weapons go you have plenty of customizations but ultimately my weapon of choice was something I took with me from chapter 3-4 until chapter 16 when I had so much ammo that I switched to a minigun type weapon. The boss fight at the end was bugged as an entire cut scene didn't show to my character.

No one has yet figured out how to make a survival horror game that stays "fresh" and no one yet with a partner.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.