iPhone 5 officially announced

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: iPhone 5 officially announced

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:
Hman wrote:Swipe left -> Weather
Hit weather icon. Actions required: 1.
Hman wrote:Folders for most used apps
All already on default screen.
Hman wrote:Swipe left x2 -> Google+ and FB updates
Hit Google Plus or FB icon. Actions required: 1

I'm sure a tap burns fewer calories than a swipe. :P
You are forgetting that you first need to swipe to the page containing the icon to the app you desire, or if it is in a folder, then you need to tap the folder then tap the app icon.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yoh, I've never met a bunch of crybabies like the anti-Apple brigade. Oh no, my widgets, I need my widgets... Image
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

GreyWolf wrote:You are forgetting that you first need to swipe to the page containing the icon to the app you desire, or if it is in a folder, then you need to tap the folder then tap the app icon.
Do you use more than 16 apps that regularly? I have 16 icons on my home screen.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

If you use icons you have to wait for apps to open up, widget has it all there.....

Plus swiping looks cooler.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hman

Post by Hman »

D3PART3D wrote:I'm sure a tap burns fewer calories than a swipe. :P
Also, by that reasoning the iPhone is for fat slobs sitting on their couches eating their crisps and Androids are for people who like to keep fit.

GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Yoh, I've never met a bunch of crybabies like the anti-Apple brigade. Oh no, my widgets, I need my widgets
As crybaby as I am, there are still no legitimate answers to my criticism. ;)

- funny screen resolution
- new, funny, non-standards connector
- dated, no-widget, prison mentality os
- no sd slot
- no nfc
- crappy sa app store
- bland, design
- no innovation
- no measurable advantage over competition
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hman wrote:If you use icons you have to wait for apps to open up, widget has it all there.....

Plus swiping looks cooler.
Swiping "looks" cooler? And people say that iPhone users are image conscious... :lol:
ADT

Post by ADT »

D3PART3D wrote:

I'm sure a fap burns fewer calories than a swipe. :P
lolwut :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf wrote:
ryanrich wrote:Yoh, I've never met a bunch of crybabies like the anti-Apple brigade. Oh no, my widgets, I need my widgets

- no sd slot
- no nfc
- crappy sa app store
- bland, design
- no innovation
The screen resolution is such to fit the form factor. Apple puts a LOT of effort into the design of a product and how it feels and fits in your hand whereas Samsung and HTC just create a device at whatever resolution they want no matter how uncomfortable it is to hold or use. The S3 is ridiculously sized and extremely uncomfortable to use.

The connector is designed as such to limit the space it occupies and I suspect is needed for the phone to be so thin. I also would've preferred a mini USB, but hey, that's Apple.

I couldn't care about widgets, but I agree that I'd like to see the OS overhauled a bit and given a more modern look.

No SD slot is subjective, I don't personally need it at all but it would be nice to have for those that do I guess.

NFC would be cool yes.

I don't use the SA app store and have been on the US store for years so a non-issue for me.

I love the minimalist design, so I guess that's also down to preference.

They could've innovated more I guess but the current phone works very well so it's more of an evolution and not a revolution. I do at times get annoyed with Apple's slow feature release cycle.

The advantage over the competition to me is the interface and how it works in perfect harmony with all my other Apple devices. If you don't use Apple products I can see that it won't be very appealing to you.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ADT wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:

I'm sure a fap burns fewer calories than a swipe. :P
lolwut :lol:
He must not doing it right :)
- H. L. Mancken
ADT

Post by ADT »

GreyWolf wrote:

- no sd slot
- no nfc
- crappy sa app store
- bland, design
- no innovation
not to start a fight or anything, have you ever even used a iPhone? or are you just judging solely on what you've heard/read?

I have used both platforms
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote: The S3 is ridiculously sized and extremely uncomfortable to use.
- Agreed it's what i would call a baksteen, used one about a month ago, but still, thumbs up to samsung, it's a awesome phone

ryanrich wrote: like to see the OS overhauled a bit and given a more modern look.
agreed, but hey there's where cydia comes to the party :P
ryanrich wrote:No SD slot is subjective, I don't personally need it at all but it would be nice to have for those that do I guess.
- I rate if you have a 32gb of storage it's more than enough, ....not? :shock:

ryanrich wrote:I don't use the SA app store and have been on the US store for years so a non-issue for me.
- You gooo boy :D
Spoiler (show)
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ADT wrote:not to start a fight or anything, have you ever even used a iPhone? or are you just judging solely on what you've heard/read?

I have used both platforms
I am constantly using both as I have to test products across different platforms.
- H. L. Mancken
ADT

Post by ADT »

But i won't even trip, i also expected more from the 5 :x

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5 will only have dual core processor? :shock:
Spoiler (show)
Hman

Post by Hman »

ryanrich wrote:The screen resolution is such to fit the form factor.

The connector is designed as such to limit the space it occupies and I suspect is needed for the phone to be so thin.

I love the minimalist design, so I guess that's also down to preference.

They could've innovated more I guess but the current phone works very well so it's more of an evolution and not a revolution. I do at times get annoyed with Apple's slow feature release cycle.

The advantage over the competition to me is the interface and how it works in perfect harmony with all my other Apple devices.
O really, my Sony is only 6 millimeters wider yet it sports a 4.3" 720P display. In a phone the same size as the Galaxy SII

The MicroUSB port on my phone sits in a edge 6mm thick.

Not more minimalist than the Xperia S.

Good that you used innovation instead of "inventing". Try sloth like, a much better description.

Good for you.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote: - no nfc
Do you expect that NFC will become widely necessary in the next twelve months?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Round 2... FIGHT
ryanrich wrote:The screen resolution is such to fit the form factor. Apple puts a LOT of effort into the design of a product and how it feels and fits in your hand whereas Samsung and HTC just create a device at whatever resolution they want no matter how uncomfortable it is to hold or use. The S3 is ridiculously sized and extremely uncomfortable to use.
Fine, but funny how it has taken Apple 6 generations to catch on to a 16x9 ratio.
ryanrich wrote:The connector is designed as such to limit the space it occupies and I suspect is needed for the phone to be so thin. I also would've preferred a mini USB, but hey, that's Apple.
In 2 sentences here you said absolutely nothing relative to my criticism of a non-standard connector. You can't tell me Lightning takes up less space than the mini USB used by everyone else.
ryanrich wrote:I couldn't care about widgets, but I agree that I'd like to see the OS overhauled a bit and given a more modern look.
Fine widgets are off the table. What about the Nazi control of the environment?
ryanrich wrote:No SD slot is subjective, I don't personally need it at all but it would be nice to have for those that do I guess.
Fine, SD slots off the table too.
ryanrich wrote:NFC would be cool yes.
I will be honest, I really couldn't care less about this, but I gave you widgets and SD cards, so I am taking this one.
ryanrich wrote:I don't use the SA app store and have been on the US store for years so a non-issue for me.
Yes, but you had to circumvent the very same system you are defending. SURELY that says something? Ask me how many features of the Android system I had to circumvent. Go on, ask me.
ryanrich wrote:I love the minimalist design, so I guess that's also down to preference.
Its a rectangle with rounded corners, its not minimalist, its lazy. Is you favorite car design a Lada too?
ryanrich wrote:They could've innovated more I guess but the current phone works very well so it's more of an evolution and not a revolution. I do at times get annoyed with Apple's slow feature release cycle.
And yet Apple feels justified in slapping a 5 on it and charging a premium price? How is this ok?
ryanrich wrote:The advantage over the competition to me is the interface and how it works in perfect harmony with all my other Apple devices. If you don't use Apple products I can see that it won't be very appealing to you.
Hey, as long as you only buy products from 1 company you will be happy. This does not apply to ANY other product, why is it ok with phones?

So to sum up. out of 7 criticism, you can only answer 1.
- H. L. Mancken
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:Do you expect that NFC will become widely necessary in the next twelve months?
No idea, but I never expected touch screens to be the mainstream either.
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hman wrote:O really, my Sony is only 6 millimeters wider yet it sports a 4.3" 720P display. In a phone the same size as the Galaxy SII
I think the real reason was to ensure compatibility with older apps. More important than an HDTV in your pocket eh?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I was excited about the very first iPhone when I read about it and from the next day 'till now, not so much. I'd have to say I pretty much loath iPhones and Apple in general, and yes, having never used one. I'd rather use my Nokia 9300 than an iPhone 5.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:You can't tell me Lightning takes up less space than the mini USB used by everyone else.
No, but it is reversible. :whistling:
GreyWolf wrote:Ask me how many features of the Android system I had to circumvent. Go on, ask me.
How many features on the Android system did you have to circumvent?

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I have a friend who put his app on the Android Store yesterday but only for free because "they don't support my country." South Africa has all sorts of stupid restrictions.
GreyWolf wrote:Hey, as long as you only buy products from 1 company you will be happy. This does not apply to ANY other product, why is it ok with phones?
It's okay because it works. I must admit, as much as I loathed Mac OS X while I was using it, I have given some serious consideration to getting another MacBook because of how everything just synced so well together when I had it.

Apple devices work together far better than anything Google has managed to produce. My Galaxy Note couldn't even do a simple little thing like syncing my contacts without creating duplicates. And I only synced them with one account, and disabled FB syncing.

If we want to talk about the way the products work, why should I have had to wait until the last week of August before the official ICS update for my Galaxy Note was available? Why couldn't I update over the air? Why could I not get the phone to work with Kies so that I had to actually go to a friends house and connect it to his computer in order to get the update?

Jelly Bean is around the corner. How long will it be before Jelly Bean is available for my phone (without the need to root it, thereby violating the aforementioned need to circumvent the Android system)? Will I even get Jelly Bean for my phone?

On the other hand, how long do you think it will after 19 September before iOS 6 is available for my 4S? And how much trouble do you think I'll have downloading and installing it OTA?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:Do you expect that NFC will become widely necessary in the next twelve months?
No idea, but I never expected touch screens to be the mainstream either.
Knowing Apple, they'll include NFC when it actually becomes useful.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Funny how the Android fanbois and anti-Apple peeps are always in here arguing how much better their phones are. You don't see any non Android users doing the same, because quite frankly, we couldn't care about an inferior platform... :o
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I lolled hard!

Hman

Post by Hman »

D3PART3D wrote:
Hman wrote:O really, my Sony is only 6 millimeters wider yet it sports a 4.3" 720P display. In a phone the same size as the Galaxy SII
I think the real reason was to ensure compatibility with older apps. More important than an HDTV in your pocket eh?
Ahahahahahhahahahahhaha!
Older apps will still work too, though they'll be displayed in a letterbox format until an update is issued.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!