No more Athlons?

Any hardware related topics go here.
senile

No more Athlons?

Post by senile »

Today, we braai. I decided to build a nice XMBC HTPC with a new AM3 motherboard I've had in a box for years, only need a CPU.

But alas, nowhere can I find a place that sell AM3 Athlons. When did cheap AM3 CPUs fall off the technology train?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: No more Athlons?

Post by THE_STIG »

They died some time ago. With the arrival of bulldozer and the lano APU's :wink:

The A6 and a A8 range has replaced the Athlon series. But you can still get cheap Phenom AM3 cpu's. Like this one:

http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/produc ... s_id=49853
senile

Post by senile »

I managed to find a Athlon X2 on bidorbuy, only a few new ones left in the country by the look of things. What bothers me is that places like Matrix warehouse and Incredible connection do not even sell AMD processors at all. Even worse are the "technical advisors". After explaining to the Incredible techie that I need a AMD CPU for my AMD motherboard, he suggested that I try an Intel processor. In the AMD motherboard.

Yes. These guys get paid with cash money. For R250 or something I could bring the PC in and they would upgrade it with the Intel CPU. I wanted to, just for amusement value, but I don't have time.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

senile wrote:After explaining to the Incredible techie that I need a AMD CPU for my AMD motherboard, he suggested that I try an Intel processor. In the AMD motherboard.
There's a reason why they're stuck in that dead end job. They're too stupid to accomplish anything else.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
ADT

Post by ADT »

senile wrote:. After explaining to the Incredible techie that I need a AMD CPU for my AMD motherboard, he suggested that I try an Intel processor. In the AMD motherboard.

OMG lol, how stupid can you be, and people actually trust these okes :shock:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

Bladerunner wrote:
senile wrote:After explaining to the Incredible techie that I need a AMD CPU for my AMD motherboard, he suggested that I try an Intel processor. In the AMD motherboard.
There's a reason why they're stuck in that dead end job. They're too stupid to accomplish anything else.

true story :lol:
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

ADT wrote:
senile wrote:. After explaining to the Incredible techie that I need a AMD CPU for my AMD motherboard, he suggested that I try an Intel processor. In the AMD motherboard.

OMG lol, how stupid can you be, and people actually trust these okes :shock:
:lol: Yes I have seen it many times. Sad part is, people actually believe every word :shock:
ADT

Post by ADT »

shame, stupidity really knows no bounds
Spoiler (show)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yep, that it does not........car salesmen are by far the worst though, and those at the parts counter in Midas
ADT

Post by ADT »

THE_STIG wrote:Yep, that it does not........car salesmen are by far the worst though, and those at the parts counter in Midas
ya lol, i've experienced those dogey salesman at the car parts department, always nice when you as a client actually knows what's going on with your car and generally a car engine, have tuned some of those okes dik :thebirdman:
Spoiler (show)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes that lot, tried to convince me that the air filter for the W203 c-class will fit the W202........they were not happy when I proved them wrong :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

senile wrote:What bothers me is that places like Matrix warehouse and Incredible connection do not even sell AMD processors at all.
Really? This bothers you? If I were looking for AMD I would not even consider going to Matrix or Incredible Corruption, because my assumption would be that I wouldn't find one at those places. They would stock what is popular, which is Intel.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

But even their stock of Intel CPU's is poor. All matrix have is a celeron, a pentium, one or two i5's(none of which is the fab 2500K) and I think one i7(the 2600)

Their selection of motherboards is equally poor. Their so called gaming PC comes equipped with a H67 for crying out loud and it costs just over R6k :shock: :shock:
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Isn't the FX series AM3? Isn't Phenom AM3? All your looking for a cheap AM3 socket chip right? Or is the new FX chips a different form factor?

Try these:
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?ma ... 32fda43873
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?ma ... 7e19542d79
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.