MemTest error

Any hardware related topics go here.
Qrox

MemTest error

Post by Qrox »

PC Specs are in my signiture.

I decided to upgrade my PC in February. I upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM. For the first month I didn't really have any problems. Then at the end of march I started getting more and more BSOD events while playing games, watching videos, browsing on chrome, booting into windows or even just opening a folder.

I decided to format the PC to make sure that it wasn't a OS related issue. At this point I could no longer boot into windows and got about 30 BSOD before taking my PC to a shop so they could see if they could find out what was causing this. They tested the system for 3 days and could not find anything wrong. I plugged it in at my home and immediately got a BSOD.

My friend lent me a Corsair Vengeance 8GB kit (Same as I have in my system, just the blue heatsink version) and Immediately the BSODs stopped happening. I sent in the RAM kit but they couldn't find anything wrong at the supplier or at the store, yet when I put them back into my PC I started having problems with BSOD again, though not as frequently as before.

I contacted Corsair and they told me to run MemTest with one Ram module at a time. First module passed successfully. Second module got 5 or 6 MemTest errors. When I took it to the store this morning, they tested the module that I found the MemTest errors on and could find no errors again . . .

I sent Corsair another message and I'm waiting to hear back from them, but does anyone know why nobody else can find the MemTest errors? As stated before, when I put my friend's kit in, I don't have any more problems.
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: MemTest error

Post by StarBound »

Could be a timing settings in your BIOS. But if you got the error twice after getting your entire system back and they couldn't pick it up after 3 days then I find it hard to believe they were testing it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

How long was the "faulty" RAM module receiving power before running memtest (both by you and the shop)?

I'm thinking of the possibility of a hairline fracture on the RAM module; this would potentially result in a circuitry issue as heat builds in the module due to inherent electrical resistance. It's the only explanation that I can think of that you can cause it to fail but the shop can't, as such an error would manifest itself over time (typically around 15-20 minutes, but can be significantly shorter or longer).

(EDIT: StarBound's suggestion is also valid; try resetting the BIOS values back to failsafe settings.)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

StarBound wrote:Could be a timing settings in your BIOS. But if you got the error twice after getting your entire system back and they couldn't pick it up after 3 days then I find it hard to believe they were testing it.
I've been going to the shop for years and know the guys that work there so I know that they didn't just let my pc sit in a corner to collect dust. When I stopped by one afternoon I could still see them testing. I'll have a loot at the timings as you suggested tomorrow and report back.
Ron2K wrote:How long was the "faulty" RAM module receiving power before running memtest (both by you and the shop)?

I'm thinking of the possibility of a hairline fracture on the RAM module; this would potentially result in a circuitry issue as heat builds in the module due to inherent electrical resistance. It's the only explanation that I can think of that you can cause it to fail but the shop can't, as such an error would manifest itself over time (typically around 15-20 minutes, but can be significantly shorter or longer).

(EDIT: StarBound's suggestion is also valid; try resetting the BIOS values back to failsafe settings.)
When I tested the first module it was still a bit warm and it gave no errors. When I tested the second module it had cooled down to room temp and I got the error. This morning it was also cool when I gave it to the shop to test. He also showed me the MemTest result after the test with no errors.

Also I'm getting the blue screens both when I have overclocked my cpu and set the ram to 1600 as well as when I reset everything on bios to default with ram down to 1333. Unfortunately I don't have time to test anything tonight. I will try some of the things suggested so far tomorrow morning and hope let you know how it went.
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

Corsair sent me a message saying that I should RMA the modules so thats what I'll do.

And just as I thought things were looking up... my GFX card decides to give up on me... what are the odds of that?
I just sent Asus a mail as well as I already know that computersonly, only give a 1 year warranty on products while Asus has a 3 year warranty on their products.