Motherboards - what do I get for my money?

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Motherboards - what do I get for my money?

Post by D3PART3D »

So, two questions.

Firstly, besides the obvious differentiation that comes with the chipset you choose and the actual physical layout of the board, is there much else to consider when picking a mobo? I get that higher quality components handle overclocking better or are more durable, is there much else to it?

Secondly, I could end up waiting for Ivy Bridge like I originally intended or my patience may not last and I'll go for Sandy. In that case, could anyone recommend a good board for overclocking? Could I get a better deal than importing (can't find it locally) the P67A-GD53 for R1800 that's been on my wishlist since last year?

Thanks PCF!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: Motherboards - what do I get for my money?

Post by THE_STIG »

The physical layout is much the same with board that have the same chip set but there will be a few defences. Cheap boards will have a stupid layout, the memory slots will be too close to the back of the PCI-E, the sata pots will become unusable if you put a long gfx card in or the chip set heat sinks will prevent you from installing a large cooler. Also you get more extra features and software with the well know and slightly more expensive brands.

I would try to get that board locally, as if you import you will end up paying more because of shipping and tax.....It might be best to wait for ivy bridge, I think sandy bridge components might drop in price at the point too

//btw why P67? rather go for a asus Z68 :wink:
Have a look at the P8Z68-Mpro
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?ma ... cts_id=790
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I have taken a look at that board but it has some overheating issues according to some reviews. Also, can't find any comparable Z68 boards except the Asus Gene Z but it's R500 more... The R1.8k includes shipping and Tax.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Retailers getting Z68 MSI boards in stock next week. :)

- Elon Musk