W.o.W n00b

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

W.o.W n00b

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Hello~

So I want to join the World of Warcraft but I am a n00b.
I know there is a fee which is like $15 which is like R116...

But I have no clue what the idea of the game is.. :/
I know some basics because some of my friends play it and I want to play it but how? :)
“Speak out your mind and your heart, you won’t be bored.”

“I feel like I’ve got a foot in a couple of different places, so I’m not fully anything, but I’m a bit of everything.”
Molean

Re: W.o.W n00b

Post by Molean »

Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend copying one of your mates versions of WOW (as in copy paste his wow folder). It should be up to date. Then register with battle.net and you will get a free pass to test the game out. As of late they have now allowed you to play up to a until a certain level before having to purchase the game. If you still enjoy it after this period of time you can buy it for about R99 at most retailers and this will allow you to play up to level 60 before having to get the expansions to further your Wow experience. Hope that helps!
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

As Molean said, get the copy from your friends, create a free account and if you like it buy the first WoW which will get you up to lvl60 and 30 days game time. It is possible you will hit lvl60 in a week or 2 though. Lvl 20 is a day or 2 if you take your time.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

no.
level 60 will be a month for a new player.
No understanding of trainers / game mechanic, no lvl 85 resources like money and equipment hand-me-downs like heirlooms...
Realistically a new account with no prior experience will not be able to match an experienced account when starting from lvl1, and those timelines you mentioned seems a bit optimistic.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

lvl1-20 is a day or 2 even without the heirlooms. My fully heirloomed troll priest started doing Stonetalon at lvl27. 3 turn ins later I was lvl28 in a lvl25 zone. You might be right however as there is no gear scaling for players otherwise. Heirlooms also don't need repairs but you can skip that entirely aswell. Still random dungeons will gear you well enough to fast forward.
My Steam Screenshots

Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Molean wrote:Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend copying one of your mates versions of WOW (as in copy paste his wow folder). It should be up to date. Then register with battle.net and you will get a free pass to test the game out. As of late they have now allowed you to play up to a until a certain level before having to purchase the game. If you still enjoy it after this period of time you can buy it for about R99 at most retailers and this will allow you to play up to level 60 before having to get the expansions to further your Wow experience. Hope that helps!
Thanks!
Okay...this is weird but when I said my friends played it...I meant my internet friends :oops:
I don't think anyone I really know plays it.
But what is the basic story or plot of the game? :?:

“I feel like I’ve got a foot in a couple of different places, so I’m not fully anything, but I’m a bit of everything.”
Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Oh and thanks for the replies :P

Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Thunderzmoon wrote:But what is the basic story or plot of the game? :?:
That question isn't exactly easy to answer, as there's so many bits of lore in the game. And of course, it changes with each major patch or expansion.

Currently, the focus in the game is stopping Deathwing the Destroyer (my raid group is almost there!). However, there's quite a bit of story around that, including how Deathwing became corrupted in the first place (some of it being witnessed in the Ulduar raid in the previous expansion), which in turn includes a trip back into the past to witness the Great Sundering, itself a story in its own... think of it like one massive fantasy universe, rich in history, and you only being present for a fraction of it.

Sort of like the Lord of the Rings books. The story resolves around Frodo taking the One Ring to Mount Doom, and all its associated subplots, but if you look deeper, you'll find more, waiting to be answered (which Tolkien did in the appendices, and later in The Silmarillion and related works). What happened to the ancient kingdom of Arnor? Why are the mines of Moria abandoned, and how did the Balrog appear in it -- and where did the Balrog originate from in the first place? Who were the nine kings that later became the Nazgûl? Where did Sauron come from, and how did he end up so evil? Just who is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Put yourself in that picture, and you'll begin to understand what I'm getting at here.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

If you didn't play vanilla wow you missed a lot of how things were. For instances, Westfall was overrun by the Defias brotherhood. They turned bandit after rebuilding Stormwind because they weren't paid for reconstruction or something. The entire questline there revolved around killing their leader, Van Cleeff. This is mentioned later on in Wrath of the Lich King when your in the grizzley hills and in Cataclysm when you go back to westfall and everything is being rebuilt.

You can start in cataclysm but it remains that the lore isnt kept intact. Cataclysm should have been branded WoW 2.
My Steam Screenshots

Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Ron2K wrote:
Thunderzmoon wrote:But what is the basic story or plot of the game? :?:
That question isn't exactly easy to answer, as there's so many bits of lore in the game. And of course, it changes with each major patch or expansion.

Currently, the focus in the game is stopping Deathwing the Destroyer (my raid group is almost there!). However, there's quite a bit of story around that, including how Deathwing became corrupted in the first place (some of it being witnessed in the Ulduar raid in the previous expansion), which in turn includes a trip back into the past to witness the Great Sundering, itself a story in its own... think of it like one massive fantasy universe, rich in history, and you only being present for a fraction of it.

Sort of like the Lord of the Rings books. The story resolves around Frodo taking the One Ring to Mount Doom, and all its associated subplots, but if you look deeper, you'll find more, waiting to be answered (which Tolkien did in the appendices, and later in The Silmarillion and related works). What happened to the ancient kingdom of Arnor? Why are the mines of Moria abandoned, and how did the Balrog appear in it -- and where did the Balrog originate from in the first place? Who were the nine kings that later became the Nazgûl? Where did Sauron come from, and how did he end up so evil? Just who is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Put yourself in that picture, and you'll begin to understand what I'm getting at here.
StarBound wrote:If you didn't play vanilla wow you missed a lot of how things were. For instances, Westfall was overrun by the Defias brotherhood. They turned bandit after rebuilding Stormwind because they weren't paid for reconstruction or something. The entire questline there revolved around killing their leader, Van Cleeff. This is mentioned later on in Wrath of the Lich King when your in the grizzley hills and in Cataclysm when you go back to westfall and everything is being rebuilt.

You can start in cataclysm but it remains that the lore isnt kept intact. Cataclysm should have been branded WoW 2.
Woah.
It sounds like a long story :(
Okay, I'm downloading the starter pack so I can learn these things first :)

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

WoW is friendly to new players but the WoW player base isn't. But the world is big enough filled with very interesting quest lines and sights. Cataclysm is extremely friendly towards leveling but once you start doing random dungeons you will find players aren't friendly towards people that haven't played the game, doesn't know their class or haven't watched or studied youtube vids for strats.

My advise, get someone also new to the game to party with you or a friend to play with.
My Steam Screenshots

Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

StarBound wrote:WoW is friendly to new players but the WoW player base isn't. But the world is big enough filled with very interesting quest lines and sights. Cataclysm is extremely friendly towards leveling but once you start doing random dungeons you will find players aren't friendly towards people that haven't played the game, doesn't know their class or haven't watched or studied youtube vids for strats.

My advise, get someone also new to the game to party with you or a friend to play with.
Ahhhh that sucks :(
Well, at least I have friends on there.
I believe they said I should go to Korgath because that's where they play :)

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

StarBound wrote:WoW is friendly to new players but the WoW player base isn't.
Generally isn't. Apparently, I'm the friendliest guild officer and raid leader... :P
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Compared to lite/tinu? Well everything depends on progress pushing. But I heard odo and jienx also stopped playing. I actually tought about a free to play account but still no reason or will to go back.

Its good to hear PnV is still casual friendly though.
My Steam Screenshots

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarBound wrote:WoW is friendly to new players but the WoW player base isn't. But the world is big enough filled with very interesting quest lines and sights. Cataclysm is extremely friendly towards leveling but once you start doing random dungeons you will find players aren't friendly towards people that haven't played the game, doesn't know their class or haven't watched or studied youtube vids for strats.

One of the main reasons I probably won't go back. The ppl on SWTOR is sooo helpful towards each other and the story is still nice and fresh and not ripped into shreds like the one in WoW. And I mean seriously... Pandas...
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Pandaria was part of WoW lore as a joke but it was part of it none the less since Warcraft 3 TFT and the secret on the scourge campaign map 2. It should have happened sooner though but then again Cataclysm should have been WoW2.
My Steam Screenshots

Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Update:
I'm not downloading WoW straight through. Instead, I'm taking it bit by bit.
So far it's 416MB of 9.9GB downloaded. :roll:

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

^^ You'll find it a lot easier to get the game from someone who has already has it.

As an example, my installation media will take me to 4.0.1, and it will likely take less bandwidth to patch to the current version (4.3.3) than to download the entire game client. And yes, you can quite happily (and legally) use someone else's discs to install the game, as the licensing is not per user/installation/whatever but per Battle.net account. ;)
Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Ron2K wrote:^^ You'll find it a lot easier to get the game from someone who has already has it.

As an example, my installation media will take me to 4.0.1, and it will likely take less bandwidth to patch to the current version (4.3.3) than to download the entire game client. And yes, you can quite happily (and legally) use someone else's discs to install the game, as the licensing is not per user/installation/whatever but per Battle.net account. ;)
Awww but no one that I know [in person] has it :(

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I'm sure someone here will be prepared to stick it on some DVDs and send them your way. (In fact, I've done this for a few forumites before.)
Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

Ron2K wrote:I'm sure someone here will be prepared to stick it on some DVDs and send them your way. (In fact, I've done this for a few forumites before.)
Really? Cool! :)
But how do I find people? :?

CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Ask maybe?
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Thunderzmoon
I bring PANDAmonium!

Post by Thunderzmoon »

CapNemo wrote:Ask maybe?
I would ask but I can't just go to random people :(

doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hey random people who do the WoW thing!

If any of you are willing to hook Thunderzmoon up with the required files we'll all be really thankful.

Heck, I might even buy you beer!

PM her please.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

If my wow was not outdated I could have said send me a flashdisc with around 30gb space and I'd post that sucker back or get windston to carry it home. I see thunder is in capetown.
My Steam Screenshots