Where to buy a new PC

Any hardware related topics go here.
TychoSA

Where to buy a new PC

Post by TychoSA »

I've tried working with Computersonly.co.za, and it has been nothing short of a disaster. The PC I bought from them didn't work from day one (they even somehow managed to sell it to me without an operating system, for heaven's sake), and it still doesn't work almost a year later (warranty expires in March), so I'm done with them.

Where else can I get a decent gaming machine? I try searching Google and I usually come up empty, or with people selling really underpowered "work machines" or the like.

I live in JBH, Randburg area.

Thanks in advance.
doo_much

Re: Where to buy a new PC

Post by doo_much »

Buy one from Incredible Connection.

:run4hills:

But seriously - there's a thread somewhere that lists good online retailers. Buy your components and either build your own or suck up to one of the forumites to do so for you.

*edit

Here's the thread. Happy shopping. Obviously some sell complete systems as well.

**edit
And I see computersonly is in on the forum list as well...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
TychoSA

Post by TychoSA »

doo_much wrote:Buy one from Incredible Connection.

:run4hills:

But seriously - there's a thread somewhere that lists good online retailers. Buy your components and either build your own or suck up to one of the forumites to do so for you.

*edit

Here's the thread. Happy shopping. Obviously some sell complete systems as well.

**edit
And I see computersonly is in on the forum list as well...
Yeah I actually found computersonly through that thread, but I'm a clot who doesn't know anything about the technical side of things, so computersonly seemed particularly appealing because they sold computers as a complete package and I didn't have to worry about putting it together or anything like that.

I'm looking for something similar (without the incompetence) with easy access (in the last year I had to drive the 80 or so kilometers from my place to Computersonly about 20 or so times, and I'm gatvol, finish and klaar).

If anyone could recommend a place for me, I'd appreciate it.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

That is the recommended sellers list...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Building your own system means you can scavange parts from everywhere as long as you know what you are looking for. If you want a built system it is another matter entirely and then going to a retail shop like Computermania or incredible corruption is your only choice. And they don't do a good job of saticefying gamers.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

TychoSA wrote:(they even somehow managed to sell it to me without an operating system, for heaven's sake)
you bought a pre-assembled unit. did you request an OS or did you assume one would be included?

what exactly is wrong with the machine? why is it not working? is it washing the dog instead of launching mahjong?

plenty wine, no meat... :roll:

(i've used them twice and both instances were hassle free, hence my requiring something more substantial than that offered)...

landmark is pretty good as well, if you're looking, but you really need to include an OS in your build... those things don't magically appear through the trans-perambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yes, please give us more details because, no offence, but the vast majority of times people get a string of complaints from a customer who "doesn't know anything about the technical side of things", the problem lies with them or a minor problem gets amplified by them not knowing what they are doing. As Rusty said, if you don't specifically ask for and pay for an operating system, you won't get one. That is not their fault and is not a bad deal.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:...trans-perambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter...
You been up all night again? :eyebrow:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

doo_much wrote:You been up all night again?
not a rankin reader, then...

<issues forefinger rub in doo_much's direction.>
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

doo_much wrote:
rustypup wrote:...trans-perambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter...
You been up all night reading again? :eyebrow:
Does that make it better?

And no - haven't had the priviledge of following the musings of Mr Rankin.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
TychoSA

Post by TychoSA »

I'm actually working with the guys at computersonly on a possible solution that occurred to me yesterday.

I think I may have stumbled on the answer.

For the guys asking me what the problems are, and about the OS:

I bought the system as advertised on their site, OS included, they simply forgot to give it to me (I had to literally go back and buy it from them) and install it.

I've had recurring problems with power supplies (2 of them were faulty, I recently had the second one replaced for R1000), the drive not working at all (it would sometimes not even register at all, so the D:/ would simply disappear from My Computer) games crashing and running slowly, the computer randomly freezing and not allowing me to exit without manually holding in the start button, files being randomly corrupted etc. etc. The machine has been in with them several times, and several components have been switched out, to no avail.

Anyway, I spoke to them today, and we've come up with an arrangement that is looking promising, so
I'd like to request that this thread be deleted or closed so as not to adversely affect computersonly's business

Thank you.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

sorry, TychoSA, but this still sounds like user issues...
TychoSA wrote:I had to literally go back and buy it from them
- you assumed the OS happened like rain on the weekend
TychoSA wrote:I've had recurring problems with power supplies (2 of them were faulty, I recently had the second one replaced for R1000)
your power supplies are falling victim to local spikes OR your power supplies were hopelessly under-powered hence the mystery of the vanishing optical drive, (i'm assuming D:\ is the optical)
TychoSA wrote:games crashing and running slowly
without any insight into your specs, i must report that this is pretty much standard fare for most titles these days.. especially console ports.
TychoSA wrote:the computer randomly freezing and not allowing me to exit without manually holding in the start button, files being randomly corrupted etc. etc.
malware/spyware or heat, (i'm going with malware...) - what AV are you running?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

TychoSA wrote:.....OS included........(I had to literally go back and buy it from them) and install it.
It looks like you assumed that the OS was included :roll:
TychoSA wrote:I've had recurring problems with power supplies (2 of them were faulty, I recently had the second one replaced for R1000)
How do know that they were faulty? And they charged you R1000 :shock: that is way to much for what I presume is some no name 450W PSU
TychoSA wrote:.....the drive not working at all (it would sometimes not even register at all, so the D:/ would simply disappear from My Computer) games crashing and running slowly, the computer randomly freezing and not allowing me to exit without manually holding in the start button, files being randomly corrupted etc. etc. The machine has been in with them several times, and several components have been switched out, to no avail.
Now this sounds familiar :lol: And every time I have heard it, the problems are cased by the user or the user thinks his PC is more powerful than it actually is.........

//btw if you have the cash why not give Evetech a try, they build awesome PC's
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

TychoSA wrote:I'd like to request that this thread be deleted or closed so as not to adversely affect computersonly's business
See what I did there?