S-Video over LAN ???

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Synthesis

S-Video over LAN ???

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, I have a control room setup with screens running on S-Video. Now I have to mirror/duplicate one of these screens to another site.

I'll need an AV splitter for both screens to run through S-Video 1. Now how do I get the 2nd set of cables onto the LAN and as well on the other side to come off the LAN to the remote screen? If there is a S-Video to LAN converter thingie, where can I get?
doo_much

Re: S-Video over LAN ???

Post by doo_much »

Hmm...

I am the proud owner of an AV to S-Video converter. Haven't seen any that go the other way around though. :?

How come your feed is S-video though?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

S-Video or AV? What's the difference. It's the cable with Yellow-Red-White. Yellow is video and it's connected to AV1 on the TV. Where you would connect your DVD player. (sorry, never knew there's a difference between s-video and AV)

Anyway, the TV's in the control room are connected to a Decoder but the VGA isn't compatible so I had to get it to work on AV. Now they want to mirror a screen to another control room about 50m away. Not be able to control. Just view what this one is viewing.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Mirror?

Then if the TV has an AV output, just connect it to the AV input on the other TV. Heck, you could even connect the sound that way.

Easy peasy etc etc.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Oh by the way

S-Video connector looks like this:

Normal AV like this:

MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

doo_much wrote:Mirror?

Then if the TV has an AV output, just connect it to the AV input on the other TV. Heck, you could even connect the sound that way.

Easy peasy etc etc.
Ja, but I need to get it over LAN. Can't run 50m of AV cable. Not allowed to run any cable. Has to go onto the LAN to go over wireless. So basically AV to RJ45 converter or something like that.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Synthesis wrote:
doo_much wrote:Mirror?

Easy peasy etc etc.
Ja, but I need to get it over LAN. Can't run 50m of AV cable. Not allowed to run any cable. Has to go onto the LAN to go over wireless. So basically AV to RJ45 converter or something like that.
Bugger. That makes it expensive.

For the client of course! :mrgreen:

Do you have a budget or do you just need to produce a solution?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

No budget. Price isn't an option. Just need a solution. Preferably industrial (reliable).
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

No budget? Lucky b*gger!

Look at one of GeoVision's AV to IP converters (oops sorry, they call it a video server) and then install a PC with AV out on the other side.

This is by far the easiest, most dependable and EXPENSIVE way to do it. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Looks good. Come across a lot of these and cheap ones but they all just have BNC for video... Do I have to then also convert from AV to BNC. And preferably a workstation-less solution.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Synthesis wrote:Looks good. Come across a lot of these and cheap ones but they all just have BNC for video... Do I have to then also convert from AV to BNC. And preferably a workstation-less solution.

AV to BNC?

You ARE kidding aren't you? For all intents and purposes BNC = AV.

So you can get an 'converter' from Regal Security for ~R8. Waay less if you're a registered installer.

*edit
workstation-less?

Haven't done that. But there should be something out there that does it?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

haha, excuse the ignorance. I'm just doing video on this project because it's small and doesn't warrant anyone else. I pretty much specialize in access control.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Synthesis wrote:haha, excuse the ignorance. I'm just doing video on this project because it's small and doesn't warrant anyone else. I pretty much specialize in access control.
Don't worry - I know the feeling.

Started out with Access Control (SoftCon/Impro) and these days I'm doing biometrics, CCTV, alarms, perimeter protection etc etc.

Which is why I say I'm a prostitute.

I go where the money is! ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

**edit

You've set me thinking.

I have never seen an IP to AV converter. But the need makes sense?

I shall enquire with the usual suspects and get back to you asap!
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Cool, thanks. I'll be doing the same. I mean it does sound simple. AV to LAN Tx and Rx somewhere else in the building. I thought I would get a solution on the first google search...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Is that network getting used for anything 'sensible' at all?

Because I once piggy-backed video on an existing IP line. Of course it was a short term filler thing... :oops:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ja, There's only network. It's a new installation with only one network running our video and access control. So I would say it's pretty sensible.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Running POE? hint hint
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Nope, just a standard switch as well. No POE implemented at this time.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Sooooo....

*User Caution.
Try this with someone else's hardware FIRST
Those wires that would have normally carried the power are going unused...Make some judicious wiring choices, add some baluns (chuck in some ground loop isolators - trust me), ignore the dB loss from all the connections....and...you're sorted.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

ThanksKalster. But the way I read this these are normal Baluns? Synthesis needs to send video over an existing IP setup that carries other data as well?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ja, saw this as well but not sure how it'll work with the existing network. How would the devices find each other?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Oh yeah, of course. :oops:

If you could get the signal across, how will you stop someone else from tapping into it?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Kalster - that's why Synthia gets paid the big bucks! ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey