iPhone 4s

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
dammod

iPhone 4s

Post by dammod »

Apologies if there is already a thread but who else will be getting their iPhone 4s on the 16th?

I'm in serious need for an upgrade and have been holding off for this phone (which I originally thought would be the iPhone 5 - but oh well)....

Does anyone have any more info? Will they be doing a midnight launch like the iPhone 4?
ADT

Re: iPhone 4s

Post by ADT »

I can't tell you when they launching the phone or even who is launching it, since i don't stay in SA, but the beginning of this month i got the opportunity to play around on my friends new iPhone 4S, and man that fone is awesome, let's not even talk about the looks, processor, speed etc. :D

So by all means acquire it, you won't regret it, my contract is only expiring next year, so I'll have to wait till then.

waits for Jamin to start trolling
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Why the iPhone 4S and not a Samsung Galaxy S II?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Why not a Galaxy Nexus?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

lol, he's asking about an iPhone because he obviously wants one, so why something else?

I've had my last foray into the Android world now. Went from an iPhone 3GS to an HTC Desire to try it, then got fed up and went to an iPhone 4, then recently moved to a Galaxy S II to see how things have progressed, and now I'm back on an iPhone 4 and will stay with Apple this time.

Android has some good things going for it and I enjoy the technical aspects and the tinkering and customisation, but personally I find it a pain in the backside for an every day phone. It chows an insane amount of data and battery life sucks (even on optimised kernels and rom's) compared to the iPhone 4.

@dammod, not sure about a midnight launch, but will post details if I hear of anything, I work onsite at Vodacom. Which provider are you with?
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:lol, he's asking about an iPhone because he obviously wants one, so why something else?

I've had my last foray into the Android world now. Went from an iPhone 3GS to an HTC Desire to try it, then got fed up and went to an iPhone 4, then recently moved to a Galaxy S II to see how things have progressed, and now I'm back on an iPhone 4 and will stay with Apple this time.

Android has some good things going for it and I enjoy the technical aspects and the tinkering and customisation, but personally I find it a pain in the backside for an every day phone. It chows an insane amount of data and battery life sucks (even on optimised kernels and rom's) compared to the iPhone 4.

@dammod, not sure about a midnight launch, but will post details if I hear of anything, I work onsite at Vodacom. Which provider are you with?

Welcome back to the darkside my son, good to see your enlightened :P
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

LoL off topic i find it rather surprising that the 4S arrived here a whole 19 days prior to the official SA launch of it
Spoiler (show)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Nevermind.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
dammod

Post by dammod »

Although the Galaxy s2 might have better specs, I feel that the iPhones make better use of the hardware available to them. They just seem like more polished phones to me...besides, I'm about to finish reading the Steve Jobs book and its left me astounded and very appreciative of his perfectionist approach to the products Apple sells.

ryanrich wrote:lol, he's asking about an iPhone because he obviously wants one, so why something else?

Ok good stuff, please do - thanks. I'm with MTN and have pre-ordered it here: http://www.mtnsp.co.za/shop/pages/appleiphone.aspx . I don't think its actually "pre-ordering" it but rather just being added to the mailing list. I got a sms from them today saying that they will let me know details closer to the time.

Im getting sick and tired of using my old 6110 navigator. I had a N97 which decided to completely stop charging due to a faulty connector. My 6110 is now starting to suffer the same fate. Have to hold it in specific positions to get it to charge lol so cant wait to get my hands on the iPhone.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

iPhone 4s

Post by ryanrich »

iPhone 4S specs are higher than the GS2. Agree 100% though, Apple products feel purpose built with each component working perfectly together. You're gonna love it... :-)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

ryanrich wrote:iPhone 4S specs are higher than the GS2. Agree 100% though, Apple products feel purpose built with each component working perfectly together. You're gonna love it... :-)
Really?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

@ryan I played around with the iPhone 4 as well and to me the battery life was the same as the Desire and it also chowed data. Both of these aspects though are user controlled so it all depends on the user at the end of the day. I do agree that build quality is top notch but for me the pain is the user interface, it drives me up the wall and then some. That and the fact that the screen is so tiny... :(

@dammod Enjoy your 4S ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

iPhone 4s

Post by ryanrich »

GS2 screen is bigger but lower res. I find the iPhone size easier to use, especially with one hand...

iPhone 4 uses way less data in my usage. Some mornings I'd wake up and my GS2 had used 10MB overnight doing who knows what!

I find the iOS UI much nicer and get things done much easier so all subjective I guess. I love Android, and will always enjoy trying out the new advancements, but not as an every day device again.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

ryanrich wrote:GS2 screen is bigger but lower res
This, does not a better spec sheet make :|

How about the fact that the GS2 has some 200MHz per core extra, or, oh, I dunno, exactly twice as much RAM? Or just a stronger chipset in general? A stronger battery and better quoted standby and talk times? There are other minor nitpickings as well- also, if screen real estate is your best guess, I'd point you to the Galaxy Nexus

Just saying...
dammod

Post by dammod »

I cant wait to try out Siri.

ryanrich, what colour is your iPhone? Which do your rate is the better colour? Black or white?...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

SykomantiS wrote:
ryanrich wrote:GS2 screen is bigger but lower res
This, does not a better spec sheet make :|

How about the fact that the GS2 has some 200MHz per core extra, or, oh, I dunno, exactly twice as much RAM? Or just a stronger chipset in general? A stronger battery and better quoted standby and talk times? There are other minor nitpickings as well- also, if screen real estate is your best guess, I'd point you to the Galaxy Nexus

Just saying...
lol, so higher clock speed a faster device makes? FAIL to your logic...

I see a lot of assumption by you, and no stats to back it up. I'm basing my opinions on actual experience since I've owned both.

A stronger chipset "in general" (whatever that means, and whatever it's based on only you know)? Twice as much RAM (if you look purely at specs then yeah, Android is for you)? Damn, it's way slow then for all this "extra" it has since the 4S kicks it's backside solidly in absolutely everything... :lol:

A few benchmarks for you my good man:

iPhone 4S (800mhz dual core) vs Galaxy S II (1.2ghz dual core)
GLBenchmark test
iPhone 4S - 123.1 FPS
Galaxy S2 - 67.1 FPS
Nexus - 45.2 FPS

Source

I've owned both, and talk time as well as standby and usage is better on the iPhone 4, FACT!

Just saying... :wink:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

dammod wrote:I cant wait to try out Siri.

ryanrich, what colour is your iPhone? Which do your rate is the better colour? Black or white?...
My iPad and iPhone are both black and I prefer that.

I converted my previous iPhone to white, and liked it at first, but overall the black surround makes viewing better, and the metal centre looks better on the black IMO...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

:lol:

:?

That's not the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in the benchies, my good man. :|
The Nexus comes in many flavours (Google Nexus One, Samsung Google Nexus, HTC Google Nexus- All of them old phones, single cores, and then the Galaxy nexus phones, the new dual core phones)- the newest being Samsung's dually running Ice cream sandwich- NOT the Google Nexus (which is ancient tech)- this is also the phone I was talking about regarding the battery life- the phone was barely released 2 weeks ago, so I doubt you have owned it :?
NONE of the Nexus phones in the above article is the new Dual core phone, they're all single core 1GHz jobbies.

The different phones in the benchies you quote that go by the Nexus designation is not the new Samsung I'm talking about- it still has to be benched and tested I believe- on paper at least it's set to be right up there with the 4S.

Also, by your own source, the software stack is tested along with the hardware- and ICS is not in those tests- and iOS is clearly better than the current Android phone OS which (the Galaxy Tab's OS seems to be holding its own), also from your source, it should be making a decent impact on those benchies.
I still fully expect ICS to narrow a lot of this gap between iOS and Android devices - if we look at the lone Honeycomb result you get an indication of that.
:|
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay guys, this is not going to turn into another iPhone 4(S) versus Galaxy S2 thread. It is not going to turn into iOS versus Android. There are threads all over the place for that. If you have something useful to contribute about the 4S go mad. Otherwise take it elsewhere please.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

What the hell are you talking about Syko? Why are you looking at the old single core Nexus benchmark results?

Read again. SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2... below the iPhone 4S in every case...

The new Galaxy Nexus is slower than the GS2 just by the by, and also has a worse camera. ;)
Stuart wrote:If you have something useful to contribute about the 4S go mad.
4S > GS2

Happy? :o

Seriously though, we ARE debating the 4S vs alternatives, so I think it's pretty much still on topic...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote: Seriously though, we ARE debating the 4S vs alternatives, so I think it's pretty much still on topic...
The OP's question had nothing to do with 4S versus alternatives. ;)

But whatever. Ignore me. Proceed as you were. :arrow:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
ryanrich wrote: Seriously though, we ARE debating the 4S vs alternatives, so I think it's pretty much still on topic...

But the subsequent posts of what about this and why not that did...

I get you though, I'm done here anyway. I have exerciiiiiised the demons. This house, is clear. :P
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:

And yes we shall :P
Spoiler (show)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Objectively, I'd have to say the 4S has impressive specs, looks great and is well built and judging from reviews, nice to work with. Two major things that I still can't wrap my head around is why they still refuse to implement true multitasking and flash support in the bowser? I know what their supposed reasons are, but I don't buy it.

Also, it has these strange restrictions here and there that almost forces you to use other Apple products and services. I don't like that philosophy. Its almost like a cult in some ways. On the surface it is all sunshine and roses and pretence, but beneath the surface it is insidiously manipulative and, well...culty.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Stu, like ryan said, we're discussing alternatives. If it's not ok then I'll shut up.

Ryan: I'm looking at the old single core nexus results because that's what you have there in your source. Makes sense?
Like I said, the new Nexus is not in those benchies, also, please point out where it's slower than the GS2- granted the camera is worse. It's (the new nexus) running the same cpu and ram, with a different gpu- one that has to handle the 720p output to the display- which would require a beefier solution than that of the GS2- a gpu solution it seems that is of the same family as the one in the 4S.