Blu-ray

Any software related topics go in here.
RiaX

Blu-ray

Post by RiaX »

Sup guys I just recently installed a blu-ray writer but i got OEM (or what ever its called) so it came with no software. Which programs you recommend i use i'd also like to know how to rip blu-ray discs if possible (not for illegal purposes of course... at least i think its not illegal)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Blu-ray

Post by hamin_aus »

What's your favourite DVD burning util?
I'm sure that does bluray s well...

As for how you rip blu-ray disks - the same way you rip DVD's...
naughty

Re: Blu-ray

Post by naughty »

(not for illegal purposes of course... at least i think its not illegal)
it can be - in the USA you are allowed one digital backup copy .... same as with dvd's - making more copies will be illegal and lending your disc to someone to make a copy is illegal .... not too sure what the law is everywhere else but most of the time almost everyone applies the USA laws to electronic items
As for how you rip blu-ray disks - the same way you rip DVD's...
actually it is very different

i use powerdvd for playback purposes but my Lite-on burner came bundled with that - it works okay

for ripping i actually use makemkv and convert the M2TS files to mkv but i include the HD audio tracks into the rip - if you want to keep it in a format that you want to backup to a physical disc then you need a few programs like anydvdHD (not free and it wont work with a crack cos it looks for new decryption files with every disc you try to rip hence it will go to the website and kill the crack so you cannot use it illegally) - then you will need programs like imgburn to write the disc

you can decrypt by converting to mkv and then use TSmuxer (freeware) to convert back into an AVCHD file or an M2ts ISO file and then use IMGBURN to write this to a disc

but i dont bother to backup to a disc because it boils back to the same loading time issues i want to avoid so converting all of them into mkv and leaving them on a large storage drive is what works for me :wink: - you can use powerdvd or XBMC to playback all these files - VLC player used to work for the mkv's but recently its been glitching and juddering but XBMC works perfect whether you use it in windows or install a stripped version of linux and install onto a flash drive and boot off that

right now between my blu-ray player and media player and hard drives and various installs of XBMC i can store and play more or less any blu-ray ever made whatever encryption it uses ...... the idea though is that playback from the harddrives saves you at least 30 seconds of bootup time and around 2 minutes of loading times that you will experience with the player - so i have backed up every one of my discs onto harddrive - it also has the added advantage that my discs last longer cos i play them less

you can try makemkv for a month for free - after that you have to pay and you can find it here

http://www.makemkv.com/

you can find anydvdHD here

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

powerdvd ultra

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd ... pgodqXEUIw

i tried DVD FAB decrypter - and it did not work at that time to make clone discs of blu-ray - i have dual layer as well as single layer blanks - so cloning would be my preffered method to write a backup to a disc

if you do a google search you will find many methods including transcoders like handbrake etc but you still have to decrypt using anydvdHD first - which is why i preferred the mkv method since it was just a one click/one program solution so it worked perfect for me but as i have said i store on a harddrive instead of writing to a disc - single layer discs are R25 but you have to compress so you lose quality while dual layer discs when you find them are over R100 each - so at R1000 you will have 10 blanks which will give you 480GB of storage space but you can get a 2TB harddrive for around R1k - link that to a media player and "bob's yer auntie's husband" ..... also consider that 10 blanks give you 10 movies - while a 2TB HDD will probably store around 50 to 60 complete blu-ray titles with no compression

hope this helps - good luck and have fun
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor