Writer wont burn more than 1 DVD

Any hardware related topics go here.
CranialBlaze

Writer wont burn more than 1 DVD

Post by CranialBlaze »

Really odd problem, my writer will only burn 1 dvd before i have to either swap its port or uninstall and re-install it which essentially boils down tot he same thing.

Happened like 2 months ago and i just assumed it was the drive, being old and having already started being a bit fussy, 2 days ago i got my replacement, a brand spanking new sony 12x BR writer.
One would think this would solve any problems, but again i can burn 1 dvd then have to "reset" the drive.

I have tried burning using nero 10, ashampoo 6/10, imgburn (latest) daemon tools and windows built in rubbish, they all give errors that under normal circumstances would point to shoddy media, yet "resetting" the drive will allow me to use the exact same disk to burn a dvd without any problems, even tried grabbing another brand to be sure.

So far i have changed ports, changed sata controler channels, switched from ahci back to ide raid, updated the bios, removed sata controller drivers, swapped cables and each ends up with the same result, 1 disk then nothing.

Nero's error is illegal media, imgburn complains about not being able to write sectors 0 - 31 and ashampoo just says cant burn media. It's almost as if it sets the drive or something to read only after burning 1 disk, imgburn even complained that anydvd and sptd drivers may cause conflict so i removed both and after testing without success installed the latest version of each, complaints gone but the problem remains.

Short of formatting i am running out of ideas and i really rather not format, got my pc running perfectly and everything nicely in its place, hek of a lot of effort i would like to avoid.

Any suggestions would be awesome, about ready to try almost anything.

Thanks
Life - The Longest Game you will EVER Play
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Writer wont burn more than 1 DVD

Post by Stuart »

Try standing barefoot in a bucket of ice water while drinking chunky sour milk through a straw and dancing the Macarena without moving your feet.
CranialBlaze

Re: Re: Writer wont burn more than 1 DVD

Post by CranialBlaze »

Stuart wrote:Try standing barefoot in a bucket of ice water while drinking chunky sour milk through a straw and dancing the Macarena without moving your feet.
That sounds like a completely logical approach.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stuart wrote:Try standing barefoot in a bucket of ice water while drinking chunky sour milk through a straw and dancing the Macarena to Justin Bieber Music without moving your feet.
FTFY

@OP: What do you mean by "Resetting the drive?"
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Perhaps those apps messed up some settings, either windows or registry or something. The time it will take to figure out, you may as well do the inevitable. If still no luck after a format, den post here some more :wink:
CranialBlaze

Post by CranialBlaze »

Monty wrote:
Stuart wrote:Try standing barefoot in a bucket of ice water while drinking chunky sour milk through a straw and dancing the Macarena to Justin Bieber Music without moving your feet.
FTFY

@OP: What do you mean by "Resetting the drive?"
Best term i could think of, it will write one dvd and then stop, to "fix" it i need to move it to a new sata port or just uninstall it in device manager, it will then let me write 1 more disk.

Further testing as suggested by a member on a nother forum proved its definitely windows and most likely driver related, booted up ubuntu live and it writes disks perfectly. did 3 this morning to test without having to restart or uninstall or relocate ports
ichigo

Post by ichigo »

i see you deduced the fact that trying a different os such as ubuntu worked,but have you perhaps tried to download the firmware of the dvd writer? check at the bottom with the label of the manaufaturer and it gives the model number and used that number to download the firmware which will work coz i have experienced the same problem as you have.
What you see is what you want to see, but what you do see you can\'t

Baka Wa Shinanakya Naoranai
CranialBlaze

Post by CranialBlaze »

ichigo wrote:i see you deduced the fact that trying a different os such as ubuntu worked,but have you perhaps tried to download the firmware of the dvd writer? check at the bottom with the label of the manaufaturer and it gives the model number and used that number to download the firmware which will work coz i have experienced the same problem as you have.
Came with the latest firmware, and seeing as it affected 2 writers the firmware cannot be the problem, especially when the ones a dvd writer and the others a blu ray writer. Eventually found the problems related to the atapi driver, weather i use windows or a 3rd party driver it will always crash and lock up after writing 1 disk.

I have setup linux and can continue to watch my series and listen to music while writing disks so its no real loss, not going to be bored while writing and its not exactly a good idea to game while writing so could not of done that in windows in any case. Linux has the drivers for all my hardware, just need to work out how to get xbmc working.
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

1. Have you tried different speed settings at which you write? What does your writable media support?
2. Have you tried using another media brand, like Verbatim?
3. Does the writing process require an image file to be created on a hard drive?
4. Does this happen for standard data, movies, mp3s, audio CDs, etc.?

Concerning xbmc, try http://forum.xbmc.org/ ;)
The keyboard is mightier than the pen!
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
CranialBlaze

Re: Re: Writer wont burn more than 1 DVD

Post by CranialBlaze »

DeathPing wrote:1. Have you tried different speed settings at which you write? What does your writable media support?
2. Have you tried using another media brand, like Verbatim?
3. Does the writing process require an image file to be created on a hard drive?
4. Does this happen for standard data, movies, mp3s, audio CDs, etc.?

Concerning xbmc, try http://forum.xbmc.org/ ;)
Yes
Yes
No
Yes

Sorted.

All the problems are exclusive to windows, its the atapi driver level, only way I have found to fix it is to format. With a busted atapi level, the media, speed, format or file type will provide any different results. The problem starts long before anything is anywhere near the writer.

This was figured out with the help from guys accross 6 forums, personally I almost bever write dvds so linux is the simplest even if not the most logical solution.

Quite liking xbmc though. Performs better than media portal but its scanner stopped scanning at e so moast of my series are missing from the series view and it wont let me disable its internal volumr controls. Hopefully thebguys at xbmc can help me do that, mp at least stuck that in the settings.