Router help

Any hardware related topics go here.
Smurf6

Router help

Post by Smurf6 »

Hi guys I need help :( i have a Netgear N300 adsl2+ router, normal telkom 1gig acc..... i have read somwhere that you can connect to adsl acc that allows you to run your international data through the 1gig and the local through another acc (10gig afrihost for example) for gaming applications is this possible? there is a program route sentry dont know if anyone is fimiliar or know how it works ? also where in my router can i create a bridged connection ? serious noob i know but we all know we got great guru's here :D
Smurf6

Re: Router help

Post by Smurf6 »

this is what i have founded

How to identify NAT Modems?

Connect the computer directly to the modem's Ethernet (LAN) port.
Click Start > Run > Type cmd ( command for Windows 9x) and press Enter
On the command prompt , type ipconfig and hit Enter
If the IP Address displayed under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection is either 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x, then the modem should be bridged. Please call your Internet Service Provider to set modem to Bridge mode.
You can also try changing LAN IP address of router. Login to router GUI and change IP address to 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1 under LAN Setup.

some say i cant bridge my router but if i understand correct what this says and my ip start with 192 its already bridge?
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

no one :/
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I have no idea where in your router you will be able to set it in bridge mode. But if you get 192.168.0.0/16 or 10.0.0.0/8 (or in very rare cases 172.16.0.0/12) on your PC and you don't dial a PPPoE from your PC, your router is not in bridge mode. In router mode the ISP details is on your router. If it was in bridge mode you would be able to dial a PPPoE from your PC, with your ISP username and password on the PC.
Most of the small Soho routers lack the advanced features I'm used to, maybe someone here have the same router as you and know where to set it in bridge mode. But on the Billion/Edimax(same firmware) I have seen there is a radio button that let you choose between Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE/PPPoA and Bridge Mode.
Smurf6

Post by Smurf6 »

Nuke wrote:I have no idea where in your router you will be able to set it in bridge mode. But if you get 192.168.0.0/16 or 10.0.0.0/8 (or in very rare cases 172.16.0.0/12) on your PC and you don't dial a PPPoE from your PC, your router is not in bridge mode. In router mode the ISP details is on your router. If it was in bridge mode you would be able to dial a PPPoE from your PC, with your ISP username and password on the PC.
Most of the small Soho routers lack the advanced features I'm used to, maybe someone here have the same router as you and know where to set it in bridge mode. But on the Billion/Edimax(same firmware) I have seen there is a radio button that let you choose between Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE/PPPoA and Bridge Mode.
in cmd, ipconfig under my local area i get my ip adress as 192...... so which means it aint bridge? on my old telkom router w200 i also cant seem to find bridge in the wan setting there is only adsl+ and adsl :/

do you maybe know how to setup 2 adsl acc to run with route sentry without doing the bridge mode or is it not possible?

cause for me to go uncapped is worthless and saw that route sentry helps you achieve what is supposed to achieve, i just want my normal telkom acc to play my games of the 10gig local and use another acc (axxess lite or so) for my int browsing and login on steam and origin will this be possible or not
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

The IP, in itself, doesn't mean anything. It can be in bridge mode, and the IP is just being used for management for your router. If it is being used for a router or a bridge, the IP can't tell you. The fact that you don't say anything about a connection you have to dial, makes me think it is in router mode.

I just read about route sentry, but from what I read it seems you need to launch 2 PPPoEs from your PC, one local and one international. For that you need it in bridge mode on the router. I have done manually what route sentry does, by routing local ranges through its own account, but I used a Mikrotik router with an Edimax at the time. One though I found is that Punkbuster didn't like it very much, had set up some very specific routes for that, but most likely route sentry will take care off that.

To get technical, PPPoE needs layer 2 connectivity to the PPPoE server. The moment the adsl router acts as a router, it is a layer 3 connection, and its stops layer 2 from going through(Layer 2 is like a normal switch).
If you can't put it in bridge mode, you may need a new adsl router that can do bridge mode.