Mobile Signal Jamming

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Mobile Signal Jamming

Post by Stuart »

*prepares for trolls*

Does anyone have any intelligent comments to offer on mobile signal jammers? Let's say, for example, that we purchased one of these little devices and switched it on during service times on a Sunday.

Has anyone had any experience with such things? (I've heard that a lot mosques use them. Would you care to offer some comment there, jamin?)

Are there any legal issues of which we should be aware?

Will the aforementioned device do what we want, or do we need to look elsewhere?

Is there any way we can use one of these things and still create a "live spot" so, for example, doctors on call could sit there during the service and still get signal?

Thoughts? Comments? Ridicule?
doo_much

Re: Mobile Signal Jamming

Post by doo_much »

Short answer?

It's illegal.

Long answer?

Icasa has, many appeals notwithstanding, held that they will not allow it. Most of these appeals have come from the events co-ordination sector (quite a few just before the Soccer WC - cellphones are a security nightmare). Now imagine what hope you have if FIFA wasn't successful?

Basically:
For security considerations and efficient electronic communications, the use of any jamming
device including mobile phone jamming is prohibited in South Africa. Wireless microphones
working in the 1800MHz band are not allowed.
Have a look at their GUIDE TO FREQUENCY SPECTUM USE

The spelling mistake in the guide's title was apparently brought to their attention before the SWC. The link I provided is dated 27 September 2011. Makes one wonder doesn't it? :lol:

Personal opinion?
That device in your link has a range of 20m. Use it and just don't tell everyone that you are. Or just have a deacon or something request remind everyone nicely before the service to swith off their phones. Low tech I know but it might work?

*edit

Are you sure you want us to add some ridicule as well?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Mobile Signal Jamming

Post by Stuart »

We've tried asking people for years to switch their cell phones off. People seem convinced that they're too important not to be able to get hold of for an hour and a half at a time.

If it's illegal we'll skip it.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I don't see how it can be illegal but then I wouldn't know. I just think it is disrespectful to the other people in the congregation and to the minister not to turn your phone off.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Or even on silent.
My dad used to be called in often, (to the extent where we went to family outings like movies in two cars) and he'd always put his phone on silent.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Short answer, yes illegal. But what they don't know wont hurt them.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote:Or even on silent.
My dad used to be called in often, (to the extent where we went to family outings like movies in two cars) and he'd always put his phone on silent.
It's getting to the point where people are sitting during the sermon on Facebook and Twitter. :?
Sojourn wrote:Short answer, yes illegal. But what they don't know wont hurt them.
What "they" don't know God does know. ;) If it's illegal we won't do it.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

My question is why on earth do you bother going to church if its not really that important to you? If its kids being forced to go by parents I can understand and will actually support it. But if its people who go out of their own free will, why not just stay at home and tweet what you are currently eating...or something.
What "they" don't know God does know. If it's illegal we won't do it.
I'm pretty sure he won't mind if it makes people concentrate better on the sermon.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Mobile Signal Jamming

Post by Stuart »

I agree with you completely, but it can become a little more complex than that. I think some of the time it's just temptation to distraction. A lot of people bring smart phones or tablets for note taking. Several use electronic Bibles.

But then a Facebook post comes through whole they're taking notes and suddenly they feel like they must check it quick. One thing leads to another, you know.

There are certainly people who come with no intention of listening. Part of the problem there is distraction. You're sitting listening to the sermon and you happen to notice the guy in front of you on Facebook instead of listening. It's easy to say, "That's his problem. Stop worrying about it." In reality it can be quite a distraction.

In terms of Twitter, there is actually a bit of a debate going on in certain segments of the blogosphere as to whether pastors should encourage congregants to tweet thoughts during a sermon. It's a bit of a no brainer to me, but evidently not to everyone.

For us, it's a question of whether we allow everyone to stand on their own before God or whether we do something to remove the temptation. If there is something we can legitimately do then let's do it. That is what we are trying to figure out right now.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Why not add an electronics gadget area? Like some churches have a babies room? Then those who want can keep there phones/tables on with the rule that the sound is turned off.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I like Nuke's idea.
So you have an area where people with smart devices sit (with crappy chairs and no aircon)... and the main seating area is made device free.
Prime

Post by Prime »

You can block it illegally, but if someone actually has a reason to put their phone on and you block it, you stand to not only get sued by them but by icasa.

You could just look at putting some sort of shielding up - faraday cage or alu. It's not cheap but it's not jamming and it's not illegal...in addition, the suckers living next door to the church will probably thank you if it performs sound proofing :lol:

The problem will still exist though, bored people will always find something else to fidget with or to do... :wink:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Here's a thought: Why don't you just call the next guy out who you catch trolling facebook?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

SykomantiS wrote:Here's a thought: Why don't you just call the next guy out who you catch trolling facebook?
To add to this...

Give them a electronic penance :twisted:. If they are caught using their phones in a out of emergency manner then give them a penalty of R10 for every 5 minutes, pretty sure your church could with some extra cash :twisted: ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hold your sermon in the Rosebank Gautrain station.

They got space, and no signal gets down there.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Prime wrote: You could just look at putting some sort of shielding up - faraday cage or alu.
Interesting thought...

Wonder how feasible it is to shield only the communion hall or whatever it is called?

Ratso, is this enough of an irritant that a church - not only yours - would be willing to soend some moola on preventing it?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Business opportunity? :lol:
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Name: Holy Signal Jammers Batman

Tag line: We make sure that the only messages in and out, are the direct ones to god/allah/fsm
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

GreyWolf wrote:Hold your sermon in the Rosebank Gautrain station.

They'd need to let Rattie across the border first. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote: Ratso, is this enough of an irritant that a church - not only yours - would be willing to soend some moola on preventing it?
Honestly, I'd think probably not. Again, there's quite a movement towards encouraging tweeting etc. during the sermon by many churches, so I think it'd be a pretty small, conservative group who would actually consider spending any money on it. In fact, it's an insignificant enough problem even for us at the moment where we wouldn't spend more than a couple of grand on a solution. With the jammer not being an option, it's probably something that will be quickly forgotten.
Ron2K wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:Hold your sermon in the Rosebank Gautrain station.

They'd need to let Rattie across the border first. ;)
Really, most people in Alberton are still trying to adjust to the concept of a horse-drawn carriage. Knowledge of the existence of the Gautrain is likely to spark a mini apocalypse.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Stuart wrote:Again, there's quite a movement towards encouraging tweeting etc. during the sermon by many churches, so I think it'd be a pretty small, conservative group who would actually consider spending any money on it.
:scratch: Wait, what :?: Tweeting during a sermon is encouraged? :|
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

SykomantiS wrote:
Stuart wrote:Again, there's quite a movement towards encouraging tweeting etc. during the sermon by many churches, so I think it'd be a pretty small, conservative group who would actually consider spending any money on it.
^^ +many
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:
Not by us, but by a good few churches, yes. They encourage congregants to immediately tweet anything that strikes them in the sermon. Some of the Christian ministries that I follow on Twitter have an official ministry representative whose job is to tweet quotes and thoughts that strike them during the preaching. This is usually at large conferences and stuff. But it's beginning to make its way into regular churches for regular services by regular church members.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I fail to see how one can concentrate on the sermon when tweeting... :|
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Proponents of the practice argue that it's essentially the same as taking notes. When you're concentrating on writing down something that struck you, you, however momentarily, shift your focus from the preacher to what you are writing. What's the difference, they ask, between switching your focus from the preacher to your note taking and switching your focus from the preacher to your tweeting?