Max Payne 3

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Max Payne 3

Post by StarBound »

The game has gone and done a max payne on my wallet. ...so get the PC version at own risk but read the following:

So to avoid being one of those unlucky many that got the game on Friday and ended up with hacks and cracks on their system I went for the alternative ...buying the game on PS3.

The game on PS3 doesn't look bad. It doesn't play that bad either but sadly it is a mouse and keyboard game. There are softlocks/hardlocks. Hardlock will make your reticle snap target a foe kinda like an aimbot. Softlock will home in on your target if your reticle is close by and ofcoarse on multiplayer with a gamepad add some fairness to the game.

Game looks great and handles brilliantly but like most PS3 games you can feel the slowdowns from time to time and with the beast I have I longed for the 120fps I get from games.

So to the PC!

Bought the game around 3pm today and I am 1 chapter away from my PS3 progress little more than 2 hours ago. Maxxed out (hehe) the game looks awesome and runs great on my system. The going from cut scene to real time render is clearly visible while indistinguishable on the PS3. From a 30fps semi fuzzy cut-scene to a fully blown pixel perfect 120fps real time the game has you hooked. Not all in between scenes are pre-rendered. There is a good amount of real time renders taking place, only the parts where it would be hard to explain the path of the events has been pre-renderd.

That said the game isn't flawless. The problem lies in its pacing. It has that console feel about it. Not in the controls but rather the action oriented pacing with partial cover shooter (not full blown TYVM). Where the original would have interrupted you with the graphic novel style the game continues with a magazine text style telling thru its cut scenes and is very well done if not annoying at some parts.

I wish I could say max payne 3 is the deus ex of 2012 but it isn't. The game feels hollywoodafied with too much action during gun fights with little in between.

If you are prepared to take the risk of being one of the unfortunate souls who can't play the game then by all means the PC version is far superior to its console counter parts. However if you feel like playing it safe with a bit of sacrifice in the controls then either console version should do. Be warned the PS3 version comes on one disc while the xbox requires an install from atleast 2 disc. The pc version is spread over 4 dvds and takes up 30gb of your harddrive space.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

All game engine rendered, very high detail on all possible settings. extreme tessilation.

My Steam Screenshots

ADT

Post by ADT »

i read somewhere it's 26gb big :shock: , pretty huge for a game, but nonetheless it looks awesome
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The pictures I link are directly from my steam cloud pictures so if you copy image location and paste it in a new window or tab it will be 1920x1080.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok here is a mini review of the game and its gameplay.

The game is heavy on cut scenes, very, very heavy. If you played the previous games you know that it is a 3rd person shooter with "bullet-time". The same slow mo effect found in the matrix and FEAR that was released later. Bullet time still plays a rather large roll in the game but it is more used in the set-piece action moments.

If your loaded with pain killers (health packs) and your about to bite the bullet you will enter a bullet time state where you are allowed to kill your killer, leaving you alive and on the floor but without a bullet time guage.

This isnt the traditional max payne. It is far more linear and you will get the guided feel more than you would like. The run into a room, shoot, run out no longer exists. Instead your more than welcome to find yourself some cover. The previous max payne games also didn't have the endless supply of bad guys streaming out of the woodwork.

You can also only carry 3 weapons. 2 side arms, 1 2 handed weapon and the side arms can be duel wielded.

The game looks stunning but you will start to feel the repitition set in after you finished the first part.
My Steam Screenshots

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

More linear? Max Payne 1 and 2 weren't exactly sandbox or non linear...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

But it wasn't a single trip down a corridor either. I still recall going back to pick up some ammo or pain killer in a previous room after clearing out the one I was in. This time you head thru a gate, gate closes, next!
My Steam Screenshots

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Finished Max Payne 3, it was quite awesome - felt like a blend between the previous Max Paynes and with a little bit of "Die Hard" thrown into the mix.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium