Vodacom BIS Cap Introduced

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Vodacom BIS Cap Introduced

Post by Stuart »

Vodacom will throttle the speeds of their BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) subscribers who exceed 100MB of usage per month from 3G to 2G.

More
FAIL!
Vodacom said that steps have been taken to ensure that the 95% of the BlackBerry users who are currently using the service fairly are not impacted by “those who are abusing the service”.
So "abuse" is defined as north of 100MB per month, and 95% of BIS are NOT abusing the service. In other words, 95% of BIS users in 2011 are using less than 100MB per month! What a load of turd! Must Vodacom treat its customers like complete idiots?
rustypup

Re: Vodacom BIS Cap Introduced

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:Must Vodacom treat its customers like complete idiots?
Yes!... primarily because they are?

do you have any more of these... i love answering...

a small number of BIS subscribers i know have been running around bragging to all and sundry how they're downloading multiple GBs for *free* - (mostly rubbish or warez they would not normally consider... but it's *FREE* )

now they're to be soft-capped and we have "what madness is this!?! how dare they!" maybe they're working toward a sustained 3G service as opposed to the wildly fluctuating one we have now...

<human collective>
boo-hoo
</human collective>

for the record, 95% of BIS users apparently understand that using your phone as the primary browsing device is backward...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh come one rusty, even your expert trolling can't justify this one. The average user will exceed 100MB per month just by setting up push email on BIS.

I fully understand their intention, and am in complete agreement that BIS users who download gigabytes worth of data every month deserve to be capped, but there is just no way in hell that they can claim that 95% of their users use less than 100MB per month.

Do you use less than 100MB per month on your BB? (I am assuming based on your rigid defence of BB in the past that you in fact are a BB user.)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: This is funny... :lol:

All the people at my work who use BIS for youtube vids because "its free" are in for a real treat... :lol:

I am curious is it the cell providers who pay for all the bandwidth or does RIM have some input in it as well? Just wondering of their lose in market share is causing them to tighten the belts which would have an effect on all their services...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Let's face it: This has been coming for a long time. Anyone who has used BIS for browsing knows the need for this. But they've taken it a little too far methinks.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Anakha56 wrote: All the people at my work who use BIS for youtube vids because "its free" ...
It's never been free. If you play a youtube video, you get a warning saying that it's not covered by BIS.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:your expert trolling
we really need to clarify here that "saying something i disagree with" does not equate to "trolling"... this trend appears to be growing around here and really needs to be nipped in the bud before the fallacy becomes entrenched. :|

secondly, if i'm blowing 100MB in bandwidth, it's not on mail. BB units pull header info only. attachments and images only travel on request. 100MB is a tonne of text...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Its throttling.

Not capping.

Once you reach 100 megs, you go from 3G to 2G.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Mr_Norris wrote:Its throttling.

Not capping.

Rendering your connection useless.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Bladerunner wrote:

Not capping.

Rendering your connection useless.
At first i read the article and would have jumped in and said haw dare they...

but after thinking about it i don't see the problem.

95% of the bb users out there are still on the older 8520 curve models... which only has an EDGE aka 2G connection regardless. so it's only those that have the faster 3G connection like the bold users and the torch users. and the newer 9300 curves.

EDIT: Besides if you not happy with that service then port over to cell c or mtn or 8ta. all of them now offer BB with BIS. Vodacom will then see that they have upset their subscribers.

although i do think that 100MB is bit low. i would have made it 500 MB. gives them some freedom. and it makes it much more worth it for the R60 you pay every month.
Vodacom will throttle the speed of BlackBerry users who exceed 100MB of data usage per month. MTN and 8ta may do the same, but Cell C has no such plans.
Source
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Not capping.

Have you ever been "throttled" by a South African ISP?

Edit: From your link:
Vodacom has defended its decision to throttle the download speeds of BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) users who download more than 100MB/month, saying some users were exceeding 100GB of data in a 30-day period using BlackBerry smartphones.
Again, FAIL! So some guys are abusing it by using 100GB and their solution is to set the limit to 100MB? Lol! Vodacom have done some truly stupid things in the past, but this really takes the cake!
we are certain that the vast majority of them that do not abuse the service will appreciate this.
Really?
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I'm using A BB right now, its A 8520 curve that's doesn't pick up edge in Pinetown so I use GPRS. All images are downscaled and my phone has a 5MB download cap on it. I surf the web everyday and I seriously doubt I come close to 100MB. So the normal 3G users won't even know About the "cap" because I don't think they would reach 100MB.

I think the 5MB download cap can be removed by using a different browser or something to that effect. And video streaming isn't covered by BIS. I connect to the router via Wi-Fi And then its free:)
And the phone can't be used as a modem through BIS. Unless someone hacked it
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Just remember, a user connectred to 3G can literally browse more (thus download more) than you can on GRPS in the same time span- thus making it easier to reach than 100mb mark.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Slimshaedy wrote:And the phone can't be used as a modem through BIS. Unless someone hacked it
From Mr_Norris' link . . .
Explaining how users have circumvented the system, Delport says “certain Internet sites allow users to download video clips using progressive download mechanisms”.

“Over and above this, there is software that allows the tethering of BlackBerry devices onto computers, which exacerbates the situation,” he says.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Bullcrap, bullcrap, bullcrap, straight from Voda's CEO :P :
Vodacom CEO explains BlackBerry plans
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bladerunner wrote:Bullcrap, bullcrap, bullcrap, straight from Voda's CEO :P :
Vodacom CEO explains BlackBerry plans
Lol, nice cover up.

"Oops, maybe it was a bad idea. Hey, let's just deny it ever happened and start looking for more reasonable solutions."
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I think the damage has been done already.