Windows Phone 7: AVG Antivirus is a "virus"... :?

Any software related topics go in here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Windows Phone 7: AVG Antivirus is a "virus"... :?

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... mpaign=rss
Privacy-violating, useless AVG antivirus app pulled from Windows Phone Marketplace
By Peter Bright | Published about 2 hours ago

To the surprise of many, an antivirus application was published on the Windows Phone Marketplace earlier in the week. The publication of AVG Mobilation for Windows Phone was peculiar for two main reasons. The first is that Windows Phone simply doesn't have any viruses to scan for. Second, Windows Phone applications are sandboxed; they have no access to the system files or other applications. Even if a virus were to be developed for the platform, the virus scanner would not be able to detect or remove it.

AVG was apparently undaunted by these obstacles, and developed the free, but ad-supported, Mobilation regardless. Though Windows Phone gives applications no ability to access most files on the system, there are some exceptions. Third-party software can access photos and music stored on the device, and so, for lack of anything better to scan, this is what Mobilation examines.

Or at least, what it pretends to examine. Analysis by Rafael Rivera suggested that it was not even particularly thorough in the scanning it did perform: it checked the names of the files it scanned and if they matched the string "eicar" or "עברית" it flagged them as "suspicious". "eicar" is a reference to the EICAR file used to test anti-virus software. "עברית" is Hebrew written in Hebrew. Its significance is not obvious.

Right... So it steals your private data and scans useless files, sounds like one of those fake virus you get from the web...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Windows Phone 7: AVG Antivirus is a "virus"... :?

Post by Ron2K »

I'd be very surprised if this was something actually made by AVG themselves. Sounds like fake antivirus malware to me.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Read the full article ;). AVG did make it and distribute it. Lovely guy steals your personal data and AVG refuse to say what they plan to do with said data...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Who even uses Windows phones :?:
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

jamin_za wrote:Who even uses Windows phones :?:
There are windows phones?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.