Can reversed polarity damage a motherboard?

Any hardware related topics go here.
senile

Can reversed polarity damage a motherboard?

Post by senile »

I plugged a PC into an incorrectly wired outlet socket, I did not notice at first because other electrical equipment worked fine.
There was no explosion or smoke but the motherboard appears to be dead, even though the PSU is running fine. If I'm not mistaken a PSU can work with reversed polarity and adjust the output accordingly, or am I wrong?
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Can reversed polarity damage a motherboard?

Post by Hman »

Ahem. No.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hman

Post by Hman »

Here's why.

On AC you don't actually get such a thing as reversed polarity as the polarity switches between the Live and Neutral wires at a rate of 50Hz (if I remember correctly). That's where the term Alternating Current comes from. Thus any appliance designed to plug in to a mains socket is designed with this in mind.

Practical experiment for you: Take say a drill or a grinder or something with a rotating motor and a 2 point plug. Plug it in and start the machine note orientation of plug and direction of rotation. Now turn the plug around and turn the machine on, you'll notice that it still rotates in the same direction. See, it's like magic!

Hman

Post by Hman »

StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Hman your so positive and so negative at the same time.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

There is a difference between live and neutral, but in most appliances it doesn't matter. At the transformer coming from Eskom neutral and ground is actually connected together. Ground is a non-isolated wire, so its keeping its "grounding" status wherever it touches the earth. Neutral is a isolated wire, and will off cause have an internal resistance. That is why at your house the neutral is usually at about 40-50v AC, its actually coming from your live wire, through whatever appliances you're running.
At most city houses you will never see the place where they are connected together, because that happens at the Main DB box coming from Eskom.
In a normal PC power supply it will not matter at all. But I had a problem once when we are running 2 UPS units connected to a bunch of switches and servers, some with redundant PSUs. One of the UPS units was connected incorrectly, where the neutral and live was reversed and it immediately tripped the earth-leakage. Swapping the polarity fixed that problem.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

senile wrote:I plugged a PC into an incorrectly wired outlet socket, I did not notice at first because other electrical equipment worked fine.
There was no explosion or smoke but the motherboard appears to be dead, even though the PSU is running fine. If I'm not mistaken a PSU can work with reversed polarity and adjust the output accordingly, or am I wrong?
What do you mean by incorrectly wired??
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

How can your plug point be incorrectly wired? Have you opened it up and checked? And did you only discover this now. Because who ever wired your house bought his wiremans license
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks