IBM unveils brain-like technology

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Slimshaedy

IBM unveils brain-like technology

Post by Slimshaedy »

Computer chips with worm-like intelligence were unveiled today by researchers at IBM, a breakthrough, they say, on the road to creating computers that function like the human brain
Source
Last edited by Slimshaedy on 19 Aug 2011, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
RuadRauFlessa

Re: IBM unveils brain-like technology

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Wait WHAT? .... You want a CPU that suffers from from alzheimer, has no tolerance for pain, tells the system to attack itself because one or more parts is incorrectly considered foreign bodies, has mood swings.......
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Sorry I go through so much to bring this all to you while browsing the net on my phone, but I put in the Source link now so you can read the whole article:)
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Slimshaedy wrote:
Computer chips with worm-like intelligence were unveiled today by researchers at IBM, a breakthrough, they say, on the road to creating computers that function like the human some of our public figures' brains.
Fixed quote.

But slightly more off-topic - a question.
Do we really want this? The principle of cognition brings with it a whole boat load of moral issues? How long before our tech starts having 'rights'?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Technology is moving along so fast, we are going to have fully operational human like AI in a few years
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Hehe. A PC that lies to you, goes on strike, gets bored if you don't play with it, gets annoyed if you play too much with it ect ect.
Do you want a pc to do what it wants to do or do you want a pc that does what you want it to do.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarBound wrote:Hehe. A PC that lies to you, goes on strike, gets bored if you don't play with it, gets annoyed if you play too much with it ect ect.
Do you want a pc to do what it wants to do or do you want a pc that does what you want it to do.
I want a PC not a wife :P
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

(mod note: removed Hman's troll post.)
doo_much wrote:But slightly more off-topic - a question.
Do we really want this? The principle of cognition brings with it a whole boat load of moral issues? How long before our tech starts having 'rights'?
Back in 1942, Isaac Asimov (science fiction author) devised the Three Laws of Robotics in one of his short stories:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
So long as those principles are obeyed, we should theoretically be fine. That being said, with the way I see the world going, don't be at all surprised if this is ignored entirely.

Asimov's own "I, Robot" handles the moral issues around robotics quite well, in my opinion - as does Spielberg's film "A.I.".
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You forgot the zeroth Law...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Asimov's own "I, Robot" handles the moral issues around robotics quite well,
You talking about the film here?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I can't remember how iRobot turned out in the end but the robots went rogue didn't they? I'm sure there will be loop holes that will allow things to get out of control. I'm guessing the military will start developing AI soldiers, robots designed to kill...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

in I, Robot the mother robot controlled all of the others. She deduced that the best way to protect (according to the first law) is to detain and thus remove all possible harm inflicted upon humans. See how whacked the rules can get. Those rules needs to be seriously amended for it to actually work.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:
Asimov's own "I, Robot" handles the moral issues around robotics quite well,
You talking about the film here?
Nope, was referring to Asimov's original collection of short stories. For some weird reason, I never saw the film.
Slimshaedy wrote:I can't remember how iRobot turned out in the end but the robots went rogue didn't they? I'm sure there will be loop holes that will allow things to get out of control. I'm guessing the military will start developing AI soldiers, robots designed to kill...
That's part of what I was alluding to earlier - millitaries across the world generally aren't concerned about morality issues and will use anything they can to their advantage, regardless of the cost. This is but one area where things could well get out of control if not handled carefully.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Nope, was referring to Asimov's original collection of short stories. For some weird reason, I never saw the film.
No that's cool. Was just about to get uppety. :) My avatar is from the cover of the I, Robot collection. The movie, although it had good action and stuff, totally screwed with Asimov's legacy (Susan Calvin was good looking and they screwed with the three laws, etc).

Question is though, will irrational fears cause the outlawing of robots or new gen AI in the future on earth as in the Asimov stories? How will religious communities react to a human-looking robot that they can converse with working in a department store or something?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

It'll take time to adapt, we will soon get used to seeing AI all over the place. And yes I think a lot of of people will fear what they don't understand.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Ron2K wrote:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
So long as those principles are obeyed, we should theoretically be fine. That being said, with the way I see the world going, don't be at all surprised if this is ignored entirely.

Asimov's own "I, Robot" handles the moral issues around robotics quite well, in my opinion - as does Spielberg's film "A.I.".
ROBOCOP :D
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I'm still waiting on the Robocop vs Terminator movie. The sega game was bloody.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I don't get why AI has to mimic human intelligence. What's the point of having a robot at a department store start up conversations? It sounds incredibly inefficient to me. A learning AI doesn't have to be anything like a person to be useful.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Maybe they figure that africa needs some form of non white compitition so they cant play the racist card when they loose their job to inefficiency?
My Steam Screenshots

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

D3PART3D wrote:I don't get why AI has to mimic human intelligence. What's the point of having a robot at a department store start up conversations? It sounds incredibly inefficient to me. A learning AI doesn't have to be anything like a person to be useful.
The Cylons are coming !!
Anyone watched Battlestar Gallactica?
Very cute angle on future AI... the "toasters" are human for all practical purposes.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

StarBound wrote:Maybe they figure that africa needs some form of non white compitition so they cant play the racist card when they loose their job to inefficiency?
Nah, they'll then start blaming the evil Japanese for conspiring to replace them all with machines in order to draw a revenue.
Sojourn wrote:The Cylons are coming !!
Anyone watched Battlestar Gallactica?
Very cute angle on future AI... the "toasters" are human for all practical purposes.
I loved BSG. The cylons did most of the work becoming more human though, it was their own motivation that drove the process. Unless we're going to mass-manufacture hot women like in the show, I still don't see the point. :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
J_Bay

Post by J_Bay »

If they look like the good terminator in Sarah Connor Chronicles then I'm all for it!!
You think we could over clock these? Air or water cooling???

Seriously, this was posted on another Tech site, and man you should have seen some of the responses on that thread, from the rediculous to the sublime, lol!!