Yahoo and Facebook to test "six degrees of separation"

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Yahoo and Facebook to test "six degrees of separation"

Post by Ron2K »

Official description:
The Small World Experiment is designed to test the hypothesis that anyone in the world can get a message to anyone else in just “six degrees of separation” by passing it from friend to friend. Sociologists have tried to prove (or disprove) this claim for decades, but it is still unresolved.

Now, using Facebook we finally have the technology to put the hypothesis to a proper scientific test. By participating in this experiment, you’ll not only get to see how you’re connected to people you might never otherwise encounter, you will also be helping to advance the science of social networks.
Link to blog post detailing this, as well as the history behind the six degrees of separation thing for those unaware of it.

I won't be participating in this (I have better things to spend my time on) - but if I find that Julius Malema is within six degrees of separation from me, I may well perform seppuku...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Yahoo and Facebook to test "six degrees of separation"

Post by Anakha56 »

Ron2K wrote:seppuku...
Every time I see that word I picture naughty thoughts no idea why... :?

Thanks for the link it will be a very, very nice read :). I know nothing about this six degrees of separation...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Yahoo and Facebook to test "six degrees of separation"

Post by Tribble »

When I have time I will read it. Also very interested.