Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Post by Ron2K »

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."
Full Valve press release

And then just watch all the kiddies continue playing 1.6. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

CS is the only game that has keep my attention for such a prolonged period of time (more than 10 years now), so I'm pretty excited about this.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I can't imagine Counter Strike coming the consoles and still playing like Counter Strike. It just can't work.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

More CS.......that is awesome :D This is one of the only games that has never grown old and you can run it on just about any PC. Even the old Dell opti plexes(Gx170's I think) at school run it
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

The question popped up somewhere last week, do we really need a new CS when CoD and Battlefield are the evolved versions of the game?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Has there been a game where console gamers can get their behinds handed to them by PC gamers due to the obviously superior aiming abilities of a mouse before this?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

StarBound wrote:The question popped up somewhere last week, do we really need a new CS when CoD and Battlefield are the evolved versions of the game?
I'd say CS is very different to CoD - you move slower and there is more recoil to the guns, which all have more tactical importance than in Battlefield or CoD. It is a very deliberate game. CoD is faster paced and easier to play (for me) and therefore more fun, but CS is still great.

Also, CoD gets re-released once a year with a new lick of paint, and people still go out and buy it. Valve wants some of that easy money too!
KALSTER wrote:Has there been a game where console gamers can get their behinds handed to them by PC gamers due to the obviously superior aiming abilities of a mouse before this?
I don't think so, UT3 was supposed to have this "feature" but it was removed AFAIK. What's made me interested in this is that there will be a matchmaking system, so we'll possibly have really average PC players vs. masterful console players which would mean no-one would notice.

- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Battlefield is the slower version of CoD to me. CS falls in between. But even so CoD has that tactical mode like SnD. What CoD doesn't have is rescue the hostage but then BF is getting that for co-op even if it is a small amount of players.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I was actually talking about the tactical use of the weapons, you know how in Quake 3 the weapons are all suited to different situations, and you switch like crazy all the time? In CS you choose based on your style of play. It's there in CoD too but it doesn't matter as much. BF I'm not very familiar with.

I do see your point now though.

- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Another CS? Hmmm here's hoping for more accurate damage models...

My news for the game:

http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/13678-N ... -play.html
New Counter-Strike will have cross-platform play

Valve unveils gameplay trailer, confirms cross-platform play

Valve has confirmed that its upcoming multiplatform release, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, will offer cross-platform online play, which means that PC, Mac and PS3 users will be able to take their platform-war-rage out on each other.

The long awaited current generation iteration of the iconic Counterstrike franchise will reportedly allow players to purchase in-game items between rounds using some sort of currency. This will supposedly only be supported in “casual mode”. Casual mode will also offer cross team chat, player spectating, and most importantly, the ability play against players on different platforms.

There will also be a “competitive mode”, which will cater more to the established Counterstrike fan-base, offering a more traditional tactical-shooter experience.

Valve will be hosting dedicated servers for Global Offensive, but has also confirmed that players will be able to host their own dedicated servers too.

Valve is working with Hidden Path on Global Offensive, the same team that co-developed Counter-Strike Source. Global Offensive will be the fourth game in the Counter-Strike franchise excluding Counter-Strike: Neo and Counter-Strike: Online. It is scheduled to be released next year on PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Mac OSX. It will include classic Counter-Strike maps as well as brand new maps, characters and game modes. It will also support a new matchmaking system along with leaderboards.

Little else is known about the game, but today Valve released the first official trailer, showing off some new gameplay footage.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So the rumour now is the ps3 version supports a mouse and keyboard.
My Steam Screenshots

ADT

Post by ADT »

Counter-Strike: GO release date is August 21, $15 price on PC

Valve has just announced the launch date of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: August 21. A collaboration with Defense Grid developers Hidden Path, Valve also mentioned that CS:GO will cost $15 “on all platforms.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/04/count ... -15-price/
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Nice price. Have to say the one thing steam and valve does well is giving value for money.
My Steam Screenshots

Mike_J.M

Post by Mike_J.M »

If you are playing CS: GO, please can you help me with console rates in relation to your ADSL line speed.
I am currently running a 2Mbps line with stock rates and was wondering what they should be.
Also what are the recommended video settings for my line?
MSI Z97 Gaming 3
Intel i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz
Corsair DDR3 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB OC
Corsair RM 850W PSU
Corsair Force GS 180GB SSD
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Mike_J.M wrote:Also what are the recommended video settings for my line?
why would video settings affect the line or vice versa?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mike_J.M

Post by Mike_J.M »

Ok, forget about video settings then (since that boils down to hardware; mostly)
MSI Z97 Gaming 3
Intel i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz
Corsair DDR3 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB OC
Corsair RM 850W PSU
Corsair Force GS 180GB SSD