Building Christine

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Building Christine

Post by StarPhoenix »

//I usually give my machines names.

I aim to have assembled the parts I need for this PC upgrade/transplant by December, or whenever I have amassed an additional R4500

Given the above budget, my requirements are that my new machine be able to run the most current games as well as those to be released in the near future with aplomb, though not necessarily at the highest possible resolution with
antialiasing and anisotropic filtering cranked up to eyepopping levels. I am also want to play around with the odd bit of image editing in The GIMP and abuse polygons in Blender. I hardly ever do any video editing, but when I do, the project is small-not more than a Gb or two. That summarises what I use my PC for.

So far as specifications are concerned, I am looking at an H67-based motheboard [I don't overclock] with a Core i5 2400 and 4Gb of DDR1333 RAM [unless Bulldozer turns out to a pleasant-and more economical-surprise] My new case will be anything inexpensive that is large enough to house the Radeon HD6870 I shall be transferring from my old machine. I shall also be bringing across my DVD-ROM drive, a 250Gb and 160Gb hard drive and my Xonar DS. A 55oW PSU should be plenty, I'm guessing.

What do you think? Am I going overboard? Is The Witcher 2 going to struggle on that spec? Should I save myself some money and stick with my Core2 Duo for anopther year or until it packs up?

I am likely to go with Windows 7 Home Basic instead of Premium as I shan't miss Aero and don't need to create a home network. Nor do I need Windows Media Centre. [and if I did, there are free alternatives]
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: Building Christine

Post by THE_STIG »

If I was you I would save up a little longer. Home basic is ridiculous, Go of a 64-bit copy of professional. Trust me you will regret your purchase of home basic. Besides that everything else seems to be ok, and no I dont think it will struggle with The Witcher 2. I am also saving for a new mobo, Ram, CPU........aiming to save up R5000 and get a decent H67 mobo(or Z68 if I can find one that I can afford) , Core i5 2500K and at least 4Gb ram.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Star you wont need Professional. Rather go Home Premium it will save you some money ;). Also it is good to have the option for a network just in case you want to get one up and running later on.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yep, that system will work nicely. +1 on the Home Premium.

The Coolermaster Elite cases are pretty cheap and look decent.

What system do you actually have at present?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

StarPhoenix wrote:I am also want to play around with the odd bit of image editing in The GIMP and abuse polygons in Blender. I hardly ever do any video editing, but when I do, the project is small-not more than a Gb or two. That summarises what I use my PC for.

I am likely to go with Windows 7 Home Basic instead of Premium...
Snip.

Don't waste your money on Windows just yet. Run Ubuntu or Mint for a month or two (GIMP, Blender, and even video editing software is available for free and you can run many of your games in WINE) and rather spend some more cash on components. Worry about Windows later.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

:lol: I don't see myself owning more than one computer, so no network creation required. [my room is crowded enough as it is]

KALSTER wrote:Yep, that system will work nicely. +1 on the Home Premium.

The Coolermaster Elite cases are pretty cheap and look decent.

What system do you actually have at present?
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: MSI P45 Neo
RAM: 4Gb Kingston DDR2-667

These are the components that would be changing

@Bladerunner:

I suppose it would do any harm to test drive Ubuntu with my games for a month-does it do STEAM though?
How well does WINE really work? Are you presently running such a system?
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Wine isn't brilliant. You can google to check if your games are currently supported.

I run Mint on my netbook and Win7 Ultimate on my desktop. Obviously I don't play games on the netbook. ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Star you can network your Xbox/Wii/PS3 to your PC ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Anakha56 wrote:Star you can network your Xbox/Wii/PS3 to your PC ;).
But Annie, why would I want to? They are games machines.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

There is 1 setting on the witcher 2 that cripples any system its run on reguardless of graphics cards or 3 way SLI. Just disabling that one setting changes everything in the game but visually I don't see the quality difference, just the speed.

Ubersampling -> Disable at all costs.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

+1 Starbound:)
Everything sounds pretty good. H67 with an i5 and a 6870 will run all the games you want. I would upgrade now but that's just my opinion... And I would go with Home Premium:)
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Slimshaedy.....if I could, I would.

Yeah, but you see, I don't want to pay for features I don't use. ;-)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well you could always get your basic and add the features in:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/f ... er-edition
Get Missing Aero Glass and Other Personalization Features in Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter Edition

Windows 7: The Starter and Home Basic editions of Windows 7 are crippled when it comes to customization. If you want Aero Glass, Aero Peek, or just wallpaper switching from the desktop context menu, here's a handy patch.

The small EXE file, created by a "Mr. Dusha" and posted by Microsoft MVP Vishal Gupta (known as VG here on Lifehacker), patches system files to enable all the personalization features of Windows Ultimate.

(Note: lacking a Home Basic or Starter machine, we haven't personally tested this out, but from the comments the patch works simply and as promised. To uninstall, Vishal writes you can re-run the patch or type in sfc /scannow at the command prompt.)
Have fun making your decision ;).
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

How long before Microsoft pounces on this?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Who knows. All depends if they think it worthy enough to be pounced on. Knowing MS they will probably leave it until the next service pack...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ I will not comment on slightly illegal patches.........
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Slightly illegal? Sure something is either illegal or it isn't. Interesting to see that it is associated with a Microsoft MVP....
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Created a thread for this discussion. I am very interested to see what the forums response is and I dont want your thread to be cluttered with arb junk ;).

Everyone wanting to talk about it go here: http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=40130
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

"Building Christine"

Christine? :eyebrow:
So it's going to be red then, is it?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:"Building Christine"

Christine? :eyebrow:
So it's going to be red then, is it?
You can name it after anything you like. Some people name it after cities or women.

I name mine after previous usernames/handles.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You obviously either haven't seen the movie or read the novel, and the finer nuance of what I was implying passed by you like the copyright laws of the day.

Eish.

Back on topic.

SP are you going to personalise that 'inexpensive' case of yours, or are you going to forego eye-candy and stick with functionality?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:You obviously either haven't seen the movie or read the novel, and the finer nuance of what I was implying passed by you like the copyright laws of the day.

Eish.
No, to be honest the first thought which sprang to mind was helping out the old man (who probably has an old beige box in a dark room and uses it for little more than Excel files and email) to understand that people don't just call their computers "PC1" and "PC2" anymore. :shock: :P
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I'm pretty sure that there's an old "naming your PCs" thread on this forum somewhere - feel free to continue that little discussion in there (assuming the thread exists). ;)

/EDIT: Knew that I wasn't mistaken - here it is!
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

doo_much wrote:You obviously either haven't seen the movie or read the novel, and the finer nuance of what I was implying passed by you like the copyright laws of the day.

Eish.

Back on topic.

SP are you going to personalise that 'inexpensive' case of yours, or are you going to forego eye-candy and stick with functionality?
Good to see that someone noticed what I was referring to by calling my next machine "Christine".

If I happen to find an inexpensive red case, it will be. I would personalise it, but my metalwork/crafting skills leave much to be desired . *Like Julius, I failed woordowrk/metalwork - but in standard 6* Chances are that I will break something if I try to personalise it, so I shall be sticking with functionality. That is not to say that I don't appreciate an attractive, well designed case that is easy to work with, it's just that I don't want to go overboard in terms of the amount of money I spend-and R4500 is quite a sum for me-almost double my monthly income....but I would like to be able to enjoy the money I earn. But why am I trying to justify my spending habits? :-P

I could go crazy and withdraw several thousand from the money I have invested, but that would probably be stupid....and short sighted....though I don't really know what I am going to do with that money. Perhaps I'll need it to survive a little longer if I rach retirement age... :oops:
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

This is a more expensive option than the Coolermaster Elite 311 chassis I am looking at getting, but it looks oh so classy.