The timesink that is gaming.

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Sojourn

The timesink that is gaming.

Post by Sojourn »

Too many games, not enough time.

Unless gaming is in some way part of one's line of business (or you are a social delinquent single person sitting in some room that fits the characteristics of a secluded basement), I, for one, find it impossible to get to all the titles I'd like to load and play - and complete them to make the money spend worth it.

I have various bought titles across genre's, left half-played because I wanted to play "this new one"... which turns into a cycle of half-completed games. Don't get me started on the added MMO's in the mix...
Part of the "problem" for me is, when I find a game that is really good, that game gets to "hog" my available gaming-time for weeks.

Do you also struggle with game-time management and fitting the titles you desperately want to try out, in a precarious balancing act with real life and commitments? I cannot be alone in this.
IcePick88

Re: The timesink that is gaming.

Post by IcePick88 »

Yeah playing games can really chew into your free time like there is no tomorrow.

I only play BFBC2 online once or twice a week. That is basically my game playing time! :)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Molean

Post by Molean »

Well, how I work it is if I have more that one title to play at a time, I usually play each game for maybe an hour or so every night(Well maybe not EVERY night, but most nights) to mix up my gaming and not get bored or kill the one game too quickly. It usually takes me roughly a week to two weeks to complete a game(I try to stretch them out these days), and I do have a social life aswell...not to mention most normal single player games don't take longer than 8 hours to finish...

EDIT: Guess I should add, I am not married and don't have kids.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

If there's nothing on tv and I've got nothing else to do I'll play a game.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Molean wrote: EDIT: Guess I should add, I am not married and don't have kids.
My reply was going to be along the lines of finding Sojourn's parenting thread and pointing him there as evidence of decreasing game time in coming years, but I guess that's superfluous now.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Hman wrote:If there's nothing on tv and I've got nothing else to do I'll play a game.
There's always something else to do.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Stuart wrote:
Molean wrote: EDIT: Guess I should add, I am not married and don't have kids.
My reply was going to be along the lines of finding Sojourn's parenting thread and pointing him there as evidence of decreasing game time in coming years, but I guess that's superfluous now.
Acceptance... is 'n strand.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Stuart wrote:
Hman wrote:If there's nothing on tv and I've got nothing else to do I'll play a game.
There's always something else to do.
My life is pretty boring during the week. Weekends are a different story.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I've given up WoW a month ago. You'd be surprised how much time you actually have by doing that one thing. Suddenly I find myself being able to do anything I want :P

If you really want to put value into time and money then you can say it like this:
WoW = $15 a month for 4 hours a day 5 days a week and 8 hours a day 2 days a week. Thats 36 hours a week for 4 weeks is 144 hours a month. That $15 entertained you at nearly 11c ...convert to SA currency... R1 per hour for WoW.

Now look at steam specials. Look at Black Ops. It was a $60 game, it has 2 dlc for $15 and so far steam claims I dedicated 100 hours of my life to it. That means I get ripped off because wow is 6 times cheaper a month and gives me 44 hours more play time per month vs CoD that has 100 hours lifetime. Its a scam! R7-R10 per hour spent on CoD! What a rip off.

Then back to steam specials I got Borderlands GOTY for $7.50. I've already spent more than 30 hours on the game making it R2-R2.50 per hour of play.

Then take games like Dragon age 2 where I wasted $60 on and 20 hours of my life. See now it changes to a waste formula that instead of dividing or multiplying it is taken to the power of money^time. That said I have wasted 60^20 of my life.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

StarBound wrote: If you really want to put value into time and money then you can say it like this:
WoW = $15 a month for 4 hours a day 5 days a week and 8 hours a day 2 days a week. Thats 36 hours a week for 4 weeks is 144 hours a month. That $15 entertained you at nearly 11c ...convert to SA currency... R1 per hour for WoW.

Now look at steam specials. Look at Black Ops. It was a $60 game, it has 2 dlc for $15 and so far steam claims I dedicated 100 hours of my life to it. That means I get ripped off because wow is 6 times cheaper a month and gives me 44 hours more play time per month vs CoD that has 100 hours lifetime. Its a scam! R7-R10 per hour spent on CoD! What a rip off.
:shock:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Molean

Post by Molean »

LOL @ Starbound...now we know how much time you spend gaming as well as SPENT on gaming...not to mention even a cost per hour to game...I dunno why but petrol comes to mind...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
jee

Post by jee »

StarBound wrote: That said I have wasted 60^20 of my life.
Serious question. Why call it waste? Does waste not go hand in hand with regret?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jee wrote:
StarBound wrote: That said I have wasted 60^20 of my life.
Serious question. Why call it waste? Does waste not go hand in hand with regret?
In my case, it does to a lesser extent.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I have a shelf full of half completed games... Three things cause me to put a game down:
Software bugs that crash the game and lose my progress - Fable and GOW spring to mind.
Boredom or repetitiveness- Oblivion, Fallout 3...
Frustration - The Witcher was a great game, but some of the creatures were impossible.

The last game I played to completion was ME1. Before that it was crysis and then the Kotor's. Barring major issues, I'll complete ME2 :)

Maybe I should stick to games made by Bioware. :P
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Or maybe not :P

But go play some DA2 and ME2 then. The demos are avalible.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.