Nokia 1 - 0 Apple.

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Nokia 1 - 0 Apple.

Post by Hman »

I bet hamin will love this.
digitaltrends wrote:In a big win for Nokia, Apple has agreed to pay a one-time settlement and continuous licensing fees, bring an end to a massive two-year battle between two titans of the wireless industry.
Sauce
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Nokia 1 - 0 Apple.

Post by KALSTER »

Hahahaha! Screw you Apple!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't think Apple cares much. Nokia needs every penny and every win they can get right now, because they're not really getting anywhere at the moment. Symbian is dying, Windows Phone certainly isn't changing the world, and Apple is growing immensely.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah, right now Apple is on top of the world and they can afford to keep paying huge sums of money everytime they get caught ripping off the competition.

Microsoft were in the same boat just a few years ago.
The problem is, can Apple keep innovating and staying ahead of the game WITHOUT stealing tech and ideas? Because if they start getting caught every time they do it, the bottomless pit of money will soon dry up...

They probably can't, but they have found a niche market in sheeple with more disposable income than sense. M$ nevere had this, they were always the bad guy, so as soon as another company was able to deliver "competitive" products, all the cool kids left and took their money with them. And rightly so at the time.

But times have changed.
How long before people who worship Apple wake up and realise that the company that was once the scrappy underdog with some clever innovations is now every bit the soulless, thieving corporate profit monger that they professed to despise all those years ago?

Maybe a lot of them already have. But coming out of their stupor they may have realised that they have already invested so much time and money in the iScrewYou with it's inescapable knotting's of tie-in's and proprietorial exclusions that the cost, and more importantly, effort required required to move over to another product is not worth it.
Mission accomplished Apple - well played.

I saw the writing on the wall back when Apple switched to Intel hardware. They saved bucket loads of money and were able to pass those savings on to their loyal customers. Only they didn't.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

jamin_za wrote:Yeah, right now Apple is on top of the world and they can afford to keep paying huge sums of money everytime they get caught ripping off the competition.
I don't want to sound like a chop, but your sarcasm isn't that far off from reality. Apple is worth as much as Microsoft, HP, and Dell combined. Apple's market cap is clocking in at about $320bn. So $300 mil doesn't mean jack to them.

I'm not rejecting the fact that they copy other technologies that are older - that's a pretty obvious observation. I would, however, say that Apple pulls much of what they copy off a whole lot better than the competition. The concept of the iCloud is HARDLY a new concept, but nobody can pull it off like Apple does. Look at Skydrive. It's something like 25GB of free online storage from MS, isn't it? Apple's offering is 5GB. But is there a way for me to "Save as" on my MICROSOFT OS to my MICROSOFT skydrive? No. What the heck, MS?

But yeah, I agree with some of what you say. All that junk about Apple users beeing sheep and stupid and blah blah blah - don't agree with any of that. I'm starting to think that that's a silly mindset that "PC" users have because they refuse to accept that Apple products are actually pretty good.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't think Apple cares much. Nokia needs every penny and every win they can get right now, because they're not really getting anywhere at the moment. Symbian is dying, Windows Phone certainly isn't changing the world, and Apple is growing immensely.
Symbian is dead-Nokia has moved to Win7 mobile. A move they may regret but we will see.

If Steve Jobs reads this thread he might tell you that you are holding an opinion in the wrong way...Sorry i won't ever do that again.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't think Apple cares much. Nokia needs every penny and every win they can get right now, because they're not really getting anywhere at the moment. Symbian is dying, Windows Phone certainly isn't changing the world, and Apple is growing immensely.

Android has grown faster Dae :P

And Dropbox FTW :wink:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Apple is worth as much as Microsoft, HP, and Dell combined.
Incorrect.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:ndroid has grown faster Dae :P
I know, but we're not talking about Android, are we? :P

Prime wrote:And Dropbox FTW :wink:
Yeah. Isn't that nuts? The fact that Dropbox is so tightly integrated in my OS, but Skydrive is nowhere to be seen.

Sojourn wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Apple is worth as much as Microsoft, HP, and Dell combined.
Incorrect.
With all due respect :)
If you look at how Apple fares on the public markets today, compared to other tech powerhouses, you’ll notice that the Cupertino computer giant is currently valued at roughly $301 billion, which is close to the sum of the market cap of three of its closest rivals: Microsoft (~$200.3 billion), Hewlett-Packard (~$72.8 billion) and Dell (~$29.3 billion).
Link

Now if you're saying I'm wrong because of the $1.4bn difference, then sure, I'm wrong. But That's kind of irrelevant. Apple is worth $301bn, and those three companies together are at $302.4bn. Like I said, this isn't the point.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm not rejecting the fact that they copy other technologies that are older - that's a pretty obvious observation. I would, however, say that Apple pulls much of what they copy off a whole lot better than the competition.
Well, their products are generally more aesthetically pleasing that the competition - and more aggressively marketed.
If that constitutes better, then you are right. But we are both too long in this game to argue differences of opinion :P

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:The concept of the iCloud is HARDLY a new concept, but nobody can pull it off like Apple does. Look at Skydrive. It's something like 25GB of free online storage from MS, isn't it? Apple's offering is 5GB. But is there a way for me to "Save as" on my MICROSOFT OS to my MICROSOFT skydrive?
http://mintywhite.com/vista/save-docume ... ffice-2010

u mad?
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:All that junk about Apple users beeing sheep and stupid and blah blah blah - don't agree with any of that. I'm starting to think that that's a silly mindset that "PC" users have because they refuse to accept that Apple products are actually pretty good.
I NEVER said Apples offering were not good. Their products are good. Their products would pwn if they were competitively priced. I just cant justify paying up to twice as much for an Apple device as I would for a similarly speced and functional device of almost any other brand.
Now you can by all means. But I will reserve the right to have an opinion about that decision.

As for Apple users being sheeple. Most of them are. Just look at the iPhones campaign...

If you don't have an iPhone.... you don't have an iPhone

That basically says to it's "client-base" aka sheeple:
Hey *********, go and buy this new Apple product right now or be the only one of your friends without it.

And that is the major selling point of all Apple devices. Do not think just because you base your preference for Apple on logical reasoning that everyone else does too. Most of them just buy what everyone else buys and then sit around having a big circle-jerk about how great their phones ar...
I mean, herpiddy derp, it's like an iPod that can make phone calls.... how AWESOME is that?!?!?!! Hello? HELLO???? damn, lost my signall again...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Herpiddy derp. :lol:
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I just cant justify paying up to twice as much for an Apple device as I would for a similarly speced and functional device of almost any other brand.
+1

At the end of the day an iPhone is just a phone like any other.

I like Apple products but, especially the iPad, I can't justify them sometimes.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.