A thread for KK: Organizing your desktop.

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A thread for KK: Organizing your desktop.

Post by Kronos »

Holy mother! That is terrible.

@KK, So, you like everything to be on your desktop because what? You want quick access to anything you might need to use sometime?

Do you stack all your books, papers, magazines, tools, cutlery, food, car, toilet, etc. Everything you might need during the course of you day onto your physical desk too? :D
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

nope.... it's just how i do things on my computer...

i don't like having to search for things in the start menu.... there is a few things pinned to my task bar, the rest are on my desktop....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I used to do the same as KK - but then I am very lazy. But there is a sad fact - the more you have on the desktop of your laptop - the slower your machine will be.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote: Looky:
Gah, another taskbar-on-the-right-side nut! You people are insane. Probably clinically.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mine goes across the bottom. Double height. I hate stacking programs.

When using two screens - does anyone know how on XP, I can extend the task bar to the other screen - or at least repeat it?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:
Gah, another taskbar-on-the-right-side nut! You people are insane. Probably clinically.
Like I said, I'm an efficiency nut. Having the taskbar along the bottom uses up valuable pixels that could better be used by my browser. There's no point in having a bar I never use take up pixels in the program I'm using at any given time.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

THANK YOU!!! Another person that sees sense and logic. We're all using widescreen now so having the start bar at the bottom wastes physical space. I like to see more of a webpage or document before scrolling. Take a look at your screen right now? Do you see the bottom? NO!!! do you see ample space on the sides? YES!!!
Another thing is that I really like to multitask. WITHOUT grouping my taskbar icons. I hate that feature. So being vertical I also have more space for all my open programs so it makes switching faster and easier.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Seriously, how much more of the page to you see by moving the taskbar to the right? Perhaps I just need to try it and see for myself.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Oh, sorry, I didn't your reply there at the bottom. I was trying my taskbar on the bottom.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Synthesis wrote:Oh, sorry, I didn't your reply there at the bottom. I was trying my taskbar on the bottom.
Hahahaha.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Having the taskbar along the bottom uses up valuable pixels that could better be used by my browser.
Synthesis wrote:We're all using widescreen now so having the start bar at the bottom wastes physical space.
Only if you have a 3000 x 50 pixel screen.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Bladerunner wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Having the taskbar along the bottom uses up valuable pixels that could better be used by my browser.
Synthesis wrote:We're all using widescreen now so having the start bar at the bottom wastes physical space.
Only if you have a 3000 x 50 pixel screen.
You guys are probably right. The amount of pixels saved probably aren't even that noticeable, but like I said, I'm an efficiency nut; so KNOWING that I could be more efficient, but keeping the taskbar along the bottom would drive me nuts. It's all in my head.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

I wonder why it seems to always be an issue to some people when others don't do things the way they do...?
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

thEnaileDonE wrote:I wonder why it seems to always be an issue to some people when others don't do things the way they do...?
If you're referring to me, and me having a problem, I don't. My last post was 100% honest, no sarcasm :)
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
thEnaileDonE wrote:I wonder why it seems to always be an issue to some people when others don't do things the way they do...?
If you're referring to me, and me having a problem, I don't. My last post was 100% honest, no sarcasm :)
Well no... I wasn't referring to you (if I had been I would have quoted you ;) ... I was just referring to all the guys that have issues when someone does something other than the way they like it... it is OK to do things differently and also OK to tell/show others what you like... but to have issues with the fact that others like it differently... never mind... I forgot, this is PCFormat forum... :roll:
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

^^ +10000000000
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Oh I don't have a problem with it. I found it to be a more efficient and organised way in XP and Vista, but since Win7's task bar improvements I've had no need to switch it to the right.

In fact at work where I'm forced to use XP, my task bar is right aligned. Simply allows me to see more open apps/folders and more title text since XP and Vista simply squash all your open apps into the taskbar. But as I've said, this problem no longer exists in Win7 and this method is now redundant.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Well no... I wasn't referring to you (if I had been I would have quoted you ;) ... I was just referring to all the guys that have issues when someone does something other than the way they like it... it is OK to do things differently and also OK to tell/show others what you like... but to have issues with the fact that others like it differently... never mind... I forgot, this is PCFormat forum... :roll:
I for one don't have "issues" with people doing things differently. It's not worthwhile having "issues" with stupid people. :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

thEnaileDonE wrote: Well no... I wasn't referring to you (if I had been I would have quoted you ;) ... I was just referring to all the guys that have issues when someone does something other than the way they like it... it is OK to do things differently and also OK to tell/show others what you like... but to have issues with the fact that others like it differently... never mind... I forgot, this is PCFormat forum... :roll:
No I just decided to give KK some grief thats all but the thread did prove useful. DJV's multiple desktops for example are a really nice feature to have running and once I get the hang of the hotkey idea that would make things very smooth. Its all about learning young Padawan... :P

*edit*

@ DJV Why not have your taskbar on auto-hide? Then you will get all of your screen real estate ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It is annoying when it pops up while you are working - and then you cannot get to whatever is behind it. Taskbar must be always on.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:
thEnaileDonE wrote: Well no... I wasn't referring to you (if I had been I would have quoted you ;) ... I was just referring to all the guys that have issues when someone does something other than the way they like it... it is OK to do things differently and also OK to tell/show others what you like... but to have issues with the fact that others like it differently... never mind... I forgot, this is PCFormat forum... :roll:
No I just decided to give KK some grief thats all but the thread did prove useful. DJV's multiple desktops for example are a really nice feature to have running and once I get the hang of the hotkey idea that would make things very smooth. Its all about learning young Padawan... :P

*edit*

@ DJV Why not have your taskbar on auto-hide? Then you will get all of your screen real estate ;).
I do :) But I hated autohiding it on the bottom because every now and then, it popped up when I got my cursor too close to the bottom. It was pretty annoying :(
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

KatrynKat wrote:my desktop is now back in order.... everything back in its place.... :D

:lol:

A lot like mine.....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Like I said, I'm an efficiency nut. Having the taskbar along the bottom uses up valuable pixels that could better be used by my browser. There's no point in having a bar I never use take up pixels in the program I'm using at any given time.
Ever heard of a function called Auto Hide :?:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

uhm... check his post at the top of this page.... :)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

KatrynKat wrote:uhm... check his post at the top of this page.... :)
Well if you are that desperate you will live with the annoyance. Besides that extra 30 odd pixels is not going to help you a hell of a lot.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932