RIM collapse beginning?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: RIM collapse beginning?

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

rusty... you know that developing for a platform is not a good idea as soon as you add a button to a screen and the text that is supposed to be on the button appears next to it... and on the very next button you add which is an exact copy of the first one displays correctly... now that is what I call a bad platform to develop on. If it takes more time to get something running on the platform than what you get for it in relation to what your time is worth then it is not worth doing the work in the first place. It has nothing to do with good or bad development it is simply bad business.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Surat wrote:Most people here want more than a phone.
and they already have it... it's called a computer... fiddling with a "smart" phone in public isn't productive... it's an infantile attempt at attention grabbing... "lookit me! me so clever! me special! lookit!" - very, very, few people have lives so manic they simply cannot wait to get to a PC... and nobody has a life so fascinating it needs constant advertising...
RuadRauFlessa wrote:as soon as you add a button to a screen and the text that is supposed to be on the button appears next to it
hang about - what are you developing in?... RIM is Java based - i've only produced 2 simple apps thus far but the GUI components behaved exactly as anticipated... are you sure this wasn't a layout manager issue?

because the alternative is a broken paintComponent stack and that would affect every application... :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Yes I agree it is very unsettling.... Standard RIMLET... nothing fancy. I even tested it with a single butt in an app without anything else.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bluez

Post by Bluez »

Stuart wrote:I know a good many people will BB's. The primary purposes for them are: phone calls, text messages / BBM, email, Facebook. If that's all you want (or less), BB FTW.
You've just hit the nail on the head with the average BB user. The first thing they start bragging about when they get their BB's is that you can message people for free and to those users (the average) this is the best thing since sliced bread. I've gone through it a few times with family members, and I have to say, these are the same family members who tend to phone you cause they've clicked on a link in a dodgy email :lol:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Intel I5, WD 1T, Kingmax4GB, ATI Radeon Toxic 5850, 23" Samsung
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:
Surat wrote:Most people here want more than a phone.
and they already have it... it's called a computer... fiddling with a "smart" phone in public isn't productive... it's an infantile attempt at attention grabbing... "lookit me! me so clever! me special! lookit!" - very, very, few people have lives so manic they simply cannot wait to get to a PC... and nobody has a life so fascinating it needs constant advertising...
I haven't seen anyone here clamouring for attention. I know if I can stand in a bank queue for an hour picking my nose, or stand in the same queue sending some emails, or reading a book, or even browsing the web, I'l leave the obligatory nose-picking for later. In the shower perhaps. Because even iPhones don't do well in the shower.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bluez wrote:
Stuart wrote:I know a good many people will BB's. The primary purposes for them are: phone calls, text messages / BBM, email, Facebook. If that's all you want (or less), BB FTW.
You've just hit the nail on the head with the average BB user. The first thing they start bragging about when they get their BB's is that you can message people for free and to those users (the average) this is the best thing since sliced bread. I've gone through it a few times with family members, and I have to say, these are the same family members who tend to phone you cause they've clicked on a link in a dodgy email :lol:
I have a friend who took out a separate, 24-month cellular contract simply for BBM. She was a little disoncerted on Saturday when I mentioned whatsapp to her.
Bluez

Post by Bluez »

Stuart, you're friend falls with my sister-in-law in the average user class... That's a bad one :)
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Intel I5, WD 1T, Kingmax4GB, ATI Radeon Toxic 5850, 23" Samsung
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:stand in the same queue sending some emails, or reading a book, or even browsing the web
you spend your life in bank queues?

mostly what you'll witness is people comparing "apps" or phones as if they were personal achievements or spamming some people while pretending to have a conversation with other people... (yes, a pet peeve is trying to have a conversation with someone who has the attention span of a hiccup...)

browsing the web on these things is an exercise in masochism...
Last edited by rustypup on 03 May 2011, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

*yawn*

Successful troll is successful.

gg rusty
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Please change the title, it's astounding how ignorant people are about Rim and their business philosophy.

Rim have always maintained that when their smart phone market dies, they will start on a different product. Rim existed long before blackberry and will certainly outlive it.

Rim is software company, hardware is simply necessary for a particular aspect of their software.

And Et, please stop assuming everyone is like you and wants a touch screen to type on.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Haters gonna hate
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:And Et, please stop assuming everyone is like you and wants a touch screen to type on.
You think II don't like BB because it has a KB? Ever consider the fact that there are a couple of BB's that DON'T have keyboards?

Also, I didn't assume everyone is like me. I said "BB doesn't even feature in the smartphone market as far as I'm concerned".

Furthermore, apparently RIM shares are plumetting, remember?
After the announcement of disappointing BlackBerry sales last quarter, RIM shares started to plummet.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:rusty... you know that developing for a platform is not a good idea as soon as you add a button to a screen and the text that is supposed to be on the button appears next to it... and on the very next button you add which is an exact copy of the first one displays correctly... now that is what I call a bad platform to develop on. If it takes more time to get something running on the platform than what you get for it in relation to what your time is worth then it is not worth doing the work in the first place. It has nothing to do with good or bad development it is simply bad business.
Then send RIM a support email and report the bug?

Like I am about to do with WinAVR. :(
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:And Et, please stop assuming everyone is like you and wants a touch screen to type on.
You think II don't like BB because it has a KB? Ever consider the fact that there are a couple of BB's that DON'T have keyboards?

Also, I didn't assume everyone is like me. I said "BB doesn't even feature in the smartphone market as far as I'm concerned".

Furthermore, apparently RIM shares are plumetting, remember?
After the announcement of disappointing BlackBerry sales last quarter, RIM shares started to plummet.
The storm is the only variant of the current models without a keyboard (but AFAIK, the storm and storm 2 are obsolete :P ). The Torch and Storm are the only 2 models with a touch screen. The Torch has a keyboard...

For the record, their shares are up today http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ARIMM :roll:

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm actually quite surprised it's taken this long. BB doesn't even feature in the smartphone market as far as I'm concerned. I played with a Torch a few days ago, and while it's certainly the best BB I've ever used, it's still nothing I'd ever consider.

Conjecture if I ever saw it.
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Comparing this news to the number of BB users you know isn't a fair assessment either. BB is huge in SA because mobile data costs a lot of money here. For me to have the kind of connectivity BB users have, it would cost me a fortune in data costs. But if you could have essentially unlimited data on an iPhone or Android phone, would you still buy a BB? Probably not. If the iPhone or an Android phone was R100 a month (some are - Wildfire), and had unlimited data, that would be the phone all your friends had, not the 8520.

Like I said, though, the South African market is no bearing for BB's success. Generally, if your platform isn't succeeding in the US, it's not succeeding.

Seriously, it's about time.
So by your logic, the prius is good because it sells well in the states? Or we should all by 6 Litre V8 diesels? The US isn't the be all and end all of cellphone markets or any other market. There are more than 1Billion people in China and 1 Billion people India which is far more than the 300 Million people in the 52 American States.
Last edited by Prime on 03 May 2011, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Prime you should give Dae a break, it's getting really annoying how you seemingly attack him on every second thread he states his opinion. If you don't like Dae just put him on ignore and save the rest of us the annoyance.

As for all of you didnt you read the long bussiness report I posted on page one?
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Prime

Post by Prime »

Siemens wrote:Prime you should give Dae a break, it's getting really annoying how you seemingly attack him on every second thread he states his opinion. If you don't like Dae just put him on ignore and save the rest of us the annoyance.

As for all of you didnt you read the long bussiness report I posted on page one?
:lol: Since when do I attack every post of Dae's? WTF? :shock: :?

I happen to know Et in real life and on certain things, I respect his opinion highly. cellphones are just not one of them :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

RIM collapse beginning?

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote: mostly what you'll witness is people comparing "apps" or phones as if they were personal achievements
In Durban, perhaps. :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

RIM collapse beginning?

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:
browsing the web on these things is an exercise in masochism...
And using an office app isn't?
Prime

Post by Prime »

While I am against using the US to forecast global product usage, it is interesting to note the information for the US according to the following article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android- ... are-2011-4.

Rim is still second and apple is third (in the US) . How accurate any of these articles are is debatable. ;)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

iPhone Holding on Against Android as RIM Collapses

According to analytics firm comScore , smartphone OS market share continues trending Google’s way in the U.S. Counting some 75 million mobile subscribers for the three-month rolling average ending in March, Android climbed to 34.7 percent, up from 28.7. That six-percentage-point increase is less than Android’s growth in the previous quarter, but still big. Apple saw a little growth, from 25 to 25.5 percent, which was about double that of the previous three-month period. The rise can possibly be attributed to some 2.2 million Verizon iPhones sold during the quarter, though the collapse of RIM is probably having a larger impact.

The BlackBerry maker saw its share decline to 27.1 percent, down 4.5 percent from three months ago. To put that in perspective, a year ago RIM accounted for about 40 percent of smartphone OS market share in the U.S. It’s hard to imagine anything worse than that, except for Microsoft and Palm, both of which have seen their market share halved from a year ago. While HP remains flat at 2.8 percent of the market, Microsoft dipped from 7.7 to 7.5 percent, suggesting Windows Phone 7 has failed to stop the company’s decline.

What this means for Apple is that, simply by not failing like its competitors, and even without a new iPhone in June, Apple will pass RIM in terms of U.S. smartphone OS market share this summer. (It already did so in the global market.) Not surprisingly, the same can be said for handset share, too.
Source
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'm not sure I understand that article. It fails to account for the non smartphone market and the possibility of more users switching into the smart phone market.

Is Android picking up because more users are adopting smartphones or are users simply changing platforms?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I think it is the first case Prime... more users going the smart phone route... Besides all of the newer phones coming out from the likes of SE has Android on them... Even their latest Walkman phone has Android on it. So I can't see a distinct division between the smart and the not so smart phones in the very near future.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

BlackBerry maker's shares tumble

Toronto - Research In Motion's quarterly profit dropped and revenue missed its own limp forecast, forcing the BlackBerry maker to slash its outlook and sending its shares down 15% on Thursday.

Facing intense pressure from Apple and Google in the smartphone market, RIM also warned that its latest models would not hit US stores until well into the valuable back-to-school shopping season. The delay will likely add to the disappointment felt by investors after RIM's botched launch of its PlayBook tablet computer this spring.

"The company is going into the abyss of a transition, and even if they get a new model, it's a new model on the old platform," said BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis, one of many who has criticized RIM's product development pipeline.

RIM has promised smartphones next year running on its new QNX platform, now featured in the PlayBook, but only after it releases a series of devices with an upgraded version of the current operating system. But even those upgrades to its Bold business workhorse, new Torch and Storm models won't go on sale until late August, RIM said on Thursday.

That delay pushed RIM to forecast shipments of between 11 million and 12.5 million smartphones in the current quarter, sharply lower than the more than 14 million eyed by analysts.

RIM shipped 13.2 million BlackBerrys in the three months to May 28, missing its own estimate.

It shipped 500 000 PlayBook tablets in the six weeks after its April launch, exceeding the average analyst forecast of 366 000. Even so, the number represents a small fraction of Apple's iPad sales.

RIM, once a byword for corporate mobile communications, has lost allure as Apple's iPhone and later Google's Android operating system changed the rules of the game.
Source
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I love my BB but even I am edging towards an android as my next phone. Not that I am unhappy with anything on the BB - just makes sense now that I have my tab. Watched a broadcast about how RIM is not doing well - was on MSNBC methinks. Depressing stuff.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Its a damn shame. 2 horse races are not nearly as entertaining as ones with multiple contenders....
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Wait.... 13.2 million phones and half a million tablets in 3 months is considered a failure big enough to drop stocks 15% :?:

The mind boggles