Producing a movie

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
senile

Producing a movie

Post by senile »

Where to begin? I have an idea for a movie that I want to produce. Can a person generate cash by filming and uploading it to boobtube?
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Producing a movie

Post by Nuke »

boobtube?

Ya pr0n always sells....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

senile wrote:Where to begin?
Film school.
Molean

Post by Molean »

jamin_za wrote:
senile wrote:Where to begin?
Film school.
And all the good ones are in Cape Town sadly...

What Idea do you have senile and Do you have equipment? Script?
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Target audience?
Budget?
Self-filming?
Self-producing?
Self-editing?
Distribution media?

Uploading to youtube will not directly get you money, but the opportunity exists that your production could go viral and that might generate opportunities which should be worth it.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Sojourn wrote: Uploading to youtube will not directly get you money, but the opportunity exists that your production could go viral and that might generate opportunities which should be worth it.
+1
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Molean

Post by Molean »

You there senile? Reply...I want to talk movies...
senile

Post by senile »

Molean wrote:You there senile? Reply...I want to talk movies...
Yes. I am considering to rather make short clips in a series called Oh shucks it's Senile. Instead of ripping off Schuster the series will be about old-timers setting up young guns for some epic lolz. I have great original ideas that are really funny.

The other idea I have is a post-apocalyptic movie for which I don't have any resources at the moment...

Molean

Post by Molean »

Sounds interesting! Originality is key and if you can bring it, that's a major plus.

Like the picture of the buggy. Can you go explain more about what your post-apocalyptic movie is about?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Sigh,

Well lets see....

1. No budget
2. No script, just an idea.
4. No editorial, production, script, producer or any related film experience.
5. No particularly attention grabbing ideas.

Go and look on youtube for some short films in particular this one that got a 30 million contract and was made on a 300$ budget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk.
Now once you have looked that over, go back and think carefully about what you want to achieve how you want to achieve it.This is not simply going onto a forum and saying "Hey I have this cool idea for a movie I want to make."

Unfortunately straight to the point, but a reality is completely in order.This isn't really some thing you wake up one morning and decide I am going to shoot a short amateur film.

Now unfortunately I might have it all wrong from you very short, "Hey I want to be the next Uwe Boll." I want to make a movie post, or you have worked out your story board, written a script, have a decent camera, have actors, have their consent, and nearly a billion other little things I haven't even remotely considered important.

I wanted to be a game developer, still not one, instead I found making models for game developers the next best thing, and I make a little money on the side, just enough so that I can upgrade my modeling software every 3 years or so.I have been doing it for at least 10 hours a week on-of for the last odd 10 years, and still no big break.

What it comes down to, is lots of hard work, research , and opening doors for your self, youtube ain't going to do it all for you.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

And you need tigerblood.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

how about this, i dont know much about making a movie but i do watch movies. How about outline the ideas, script and genere of the movies you want to make. Then let us give you honest opinions (hopefully clean ones and people wont troll like idiots), then you can move forward from there.

I say this because its expensive and time consuming to do projects like this, and an idea for a movie in your head might be so awesome but to the rest of us its like "meh". Unfortunately for a movie its the opinion of the masses that matters
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Didn't NDA (the resident alien) have to make a movie? I know someone in the English thread was talking about having to shoot a movie. I am old and not all the pieces of my brain work any more
senile

Post by senile »

wizardofid wrote:Sigh,

Well lets see....

1. No budget
2. No script, just an idea.
4. No editorial, production, script, producer or any related film experience.
5. No particularly attention grabbing ideas.

Go and look on youtube for some short films in particular this one that got a 30 million contract and was made on a 300$ budget.
Now once you have looked that over, go back and think carefully about what you want to achieve how you want to achieve it.This is not simply going onto a forum and saying "Hey I have this cool idea for a movie I want to make."

Unfortunately straight to the point, but a reality is completely in order.This isn't really some thing you wake up one morning and decide I am going to shoot a short amateur film.

Now unfortunately I might have it all wrong from you very short, "Hey I want to be the next Uwe Boll." I want to make a movie post, or you have worked out your story board, written a script, have a decent camera, have actors, have their consent, and nearly a billion other little things I haven't even remotely considered important.

I wanted to be a game developer, still not one, instead I found making models for game developers the next best thing, and I make a little money on the side, just enough so that I can upgrade my modeling software every 3 years or so.I have been doing it for at least 10 hours a week on-of for the last odd 10 years, and still no big break.

What it comes down to, is lots of hard work, research , and opening doors for your self, youtube ain't going to do it all for you.
It will be a computer generated movie. What types of models can you make, maybe I can use it?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

It will be a computer generated movie. What types of models can you make, maybe I can use it?
CGI ?

What software will you be using.?
How long have you been using it ?
Can you model, animate, and render ?

Do you have at least 2500$ + or willing to pay $100+ plus for a custom animated model.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
senile

Post by senile »

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No

But I will recruit people that want to animate and render to build their online profile like yourself. Still need to work on the logistics....
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sigh, you do not have a cooking clue how to either animate, model or render a scene.....But you expect some one to do the work for you, and that for free.

Not going to happen.

Oh lets not forget, you actually can't even mention at least 10 different CGI camera movements without using google.?

Some how I see my self making a better movie, even if you had free help...
Molean

Post by Molean »

*Listens in the distance* TIIIIIIMBER!
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Play nice Wiz. Don't bash his dreams - I have a philosophy. Don't let other people tell you what you can't do. If you believe you can - you will find a way.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Tribble wrote:Play nice Wiz. Don't bash his dreams - I have a philosophy. Don't let other people tell you what you can't do. If you believe you can - you will find a way.
Yeah,

"If you direct it, they will help." doesn't have they same ring to it.

Actually dear certain dreams and aspirations, are just that for a reason, you of all people should know that.....
Don't bash his dreams
I am no bashing his dreams. I am bashing his hopes of becoming a viral sensation, for all the wrong reasons.....

I just smell a fail coming on.

Perhaps he can draw little stick men on paper, a million times over then, photograph each page and combine them to make a movie....a bit low tech...or he can open a modeling program...animate the stick figures and render it in a quarter of the time....and use the rest of the time to produce music, credits and wot not....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tribble wrote:I have a philosophy. Don't let other people tell you what you can't do. If you believe you can - you will find a way.
That's more of a cliché than a philosophy since 99.9999999% of people with dreams eventually catch a wake-up :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Most philosophies are clichés. I must be one of those 0.0000001% then. I believe that until you have done it - and failed - it remains possible. And if you fail - try again - or rethink how you did it. Often it isn't that you cannot do it - it is just that your approach was wrong.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Tribble wrote:Most philosophies are clichés. I must be one of those 0.0000001% then. I believe that until you have done it - and failed - it remains possible. And if you fail - try again - or rethink how you did it. Often it isn't that you cannot do it - it is just that your approachwas wrong.
How about failing kop oor gat into a industrial meat grinder....
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

wizardofid wrote:Go and look on youtube for some short films in particular this one that got a 30 million contract and was made on a 300$ budget.
300$ budget?

Maya / 3ds max : US$2000
Adobe After FX : US$1000
Adobe Photoshop: US$1500
Decent workstation: US$5000

Total (not including camera, sound editing software, extras fees, stock footage etc): US$9500
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken