Internet Explorer Thread

Any software related topics go in here.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Internet Explorer Thread

Post by Siemens »

From Nvidia
It is official. As of today, the web browser – the #1 app on the PC - is now GPU accelerated.

We have worked closely with Microsoft since the start of Internet Explorer 9 development to bring the power of the GPU to the Web. Along the way, we’ve blogged about the advantages of GPU-accelerated PCs and the great HTML5 sites you can soon expect accelerated by the GPU.

Today, with the official launch of IE9, PCs everywhere can experience:

* Rich HTML5 sites like http://www.webvizbench.com with much more dynamic and interactive content than before –all made possible by the GPU
* HD Video natively accelerated by the browser and GPU without the need for additional plug-ins
* Browser-based games running directly on the latest DirectX 11 GeForce GPU like your favorite PC game titles

So what does this really mean to you the consumer? IE9 will help transform the web to a much more exciting, dynamic and compelling experience – much like DX11 gaming is worlds beyond Farmville. And it is yet another example of why you need an Optimized PC or Notebook with a powerful NVIDIA GPU paired with a strong CPU to deliver overall the best experience.

Congratulations Microsoft! Make sure to download IE9 today.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/03/gpus-fi ... xplorer-9/

and if anyone is keen on trying (beauty of the web.. I can already see all the joke pictures made about this)
http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/
Last edited by Siemens on 13 Apr 2011, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
IcePick88

Re: IE9 released and using GPU power

Post by IcePick88 »

Interesting. But I don't use IE...
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

HTML5 :?: last time I heard they were still bickering over the standard codec to be used for HD media - who won BTW, Theora or H264 :?:

Browser-based games :?: Worst invetion ever IMO. I don't trust IE to display my Google searches, why would I use it as a gaming platform :?:

HD Video :?: Maybe the ONLY good thing about this after the hype, but even here in Aus the bandwidth throughput cant always support true HD streaming for the duration of a movie unless you can get cable, fibre or some low contention high speed connection... buffering...
And lets not start on caps...

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

You can test the performance here: http://www.frameratefest.com/

I get a lot higher FPS when viewing the demos in IE9
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Because fps matters when browsing.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Think about it this way: everyone is going gaga over the UIs of modern smartphones, shouldn't the web experience be just as pleasing? As a web developer I love the freedom that Flash gives me when creating a websites UI. However we all know how much flack Flash gets for a number of reason, so I am glad new alternatives are emerging.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

GreyWolf wrote:Think about it this way: everyone is going gaga over the UIs of modern smartphones, shouldn't the web experience be just as pleasing? As a web developer I love the freedom that Flash gives me when creating a websites UI. However we all know how much flack Flash gets for a number of reason, so I am glad new alternatives are emerging.
OKay, I understand in that sense. However with my puny 384 line those sites will still take forever to load so a change in fps isnt really going to affect me. It's still going to be quite slow. And whether I browse gumtree in 500fps or 1fps also wont make a difference.

Maybe if I had a faster line?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Siemens wrote:Because fps matters when browsing.
shortsighted much?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Siemens wrote:OKay, I understand in that sense. However with my puny 384 line those sites will still take forever to load so a change in fps isnt really going to affect me. It's still going to be quite slow. And whether I browse gumtree in 500fps or 1fps also wont make a difference.

Maybe if I had a faster line?
To be honest, if you do a Flash interface right, the line speed should not matter. The same should be true of HTML5
- H. L. Mancken
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Sojourn wrote:
shortsighted much?
Oh please do feel free to elaborate on how it will benifit me to have a better fps while browsing?
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

RockMelt floats my boat.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Siemens wrote:
Sojourn wrote:
shortsighted much?
Oh please do feel free to elaborate on how it will benifit me to have a better fps while browsing?
like a potbellied leprechaun unable to see his own winkie, you fail to see how this could benefit anything else outside your little world of rainbows and pots of gold.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I hate IE, but give credit where credit is due. The chaps at Microsoft have accomplished something. I'll wait for the next version of Firefox to roll around though.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Bladerunner wrote:I hate IE, but give credit where credit is due. The chaps at Microsoft have accomplished something. I'll wait for the next version of Firefox to roll around though.
Yeah I also think that this is something really interesting and cool. I would upgrade to IE9 just to check it out.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

IE needs all the help it can get so it's cool that they have integrated the graphics card to help but I'll await the first hotfix when it gets hacked.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Sojourn wrote: like a potbellied leprechaun unable to see his own winkie, you fail to see how this could benefit anything else outside your little world of rainbows and pots of gold.
Please inform me then.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

IE9 does the unthinkable.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/int ... ,2897.html

IE9 benchmarks showing that it is often better than the other browsers. Wait...what????
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Wow Microsoft is already working on IE10. They are finally taking the browser war competition more seriously. I'm renaming the thread to the official IE thread

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/04/microso ... f1311115=1