Recovery from raw image file

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Recovery from raw image file

Post by Anakha56 »

Greetings All,

So my WD Raptor decided to go and die on me today. So I have used a spare hdd and installed Win7 on that hoping to still be able to access the drive for some recovery purposes. I was wrong the drive partition wants to be formatted :-(.

So I boot up with a recovery cd and use a program called datarescue dd to make a raw image file of the hdd (currently has 2 crc errors) and here is where the question comes in. How do I read this raw image file to get the data back?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Recovery from raw image file

Post by KALSTER »

Have you tried using a program that searches for files directly from the drive, like Recuva?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yep, it can't read boot sector so it aborts before going any further.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I shall give that a try over the weekend however I think its far worse than just the table getting corrupt. The Western Digital HDD tool set gives me a 0220 error code when doing a short hdd test. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that all my saved games and characters have bitten the dust :(. I want to try a quick format and see if I can recover from that but I somehow doubt it will work...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DeamonTools should support RAW as an image format. Try mounting it in that, or some similar software?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin I take it you have a wee bit more experience with this than I do so here goes my questions but first some background info.
DataRescue's DD (in short DrDD) - is a graphical disk imager intended for data recovery and backup of partially corrupted storage devices. DrDD creates complete or partial images of disks or memory cards to files on another storage device, allowing multiple data recovery attempts on the raw data, thereby minimizing the risk of damaging the corrupted media further. DrDD is available for Windows PC and Mac OS X machines.
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm

Problem is they dont tell you how to access this RAW image file to recover things. :?

So the question is this even with a .dd extension which is essentially a RAW image without an extension I could still mount it?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Not AFAIK

dd is a 'nix command to do a disk dump, so I think you used a tool that just runs this command in Windows

A quick Google recommends http://www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/ ... ndows.html

No guarantee on that working. if you had a proper .RAW file things would be a lot easier for you :P
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Last week I had to fix a Dynamic disk that became "invalid" in Win7. I first tried editing the first sector with HexN as I read on the net, but it didn't help. I then had Disk Management revert the drive to a Basic disk, created a new partition, quick formatted the partition and ran Recuva with the option to check for files on a formatted partition. I managed to recover all the data I needed to.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well a program call Davory in its Eval form is able to read and recover from the physical disk not the partition if that makes any sense. So now its a case of finding something that can do the same...

*edit* If someone knows of a freeware app please let me know. :)
Hman

Post by Hman »

Do what I said in my post. Make a new partition, quick format, run Recuva with the option to scan a formatted drive (takes ages), and select the files you wish to recover.

-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Well Recuva did the job for me it gave me a massive list of files that were on the drive before the quick format. Even files I deleted months ago showed up.

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Hman wrote:Well Recuva did the job for me it gave me a massive list of files that were on the drive before the quick format. Even files I deleted months ago showed up.
The thing is though, Recuva wont detect the drive for me, keeps on complaining about there not being a file system/parition it can recognize. Other file recovery software keeps on complaining about being unable to access the MBR.

@ Prometheus I shall take you up on your offer. Will send you a PM when I get home and have the data. I really dont know what I am doing when it comes to repairing the the table. Always willing to learn :).
xumwun

Post by xumwun »

Try testdisk, its a image that boots from a cd. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
I had a hard drive that some utility made the computer think it was FAT12 (supposed to be ntfs) and this thing fixed it.

Edit: Its also free.