Intel vPro: Who uses it? Any good software for it?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Intel vPro: Who uses it? Any good software for it?

Post by Anakha56 »

Morning All,

So I have always been curious as to what vPro is and how it could be used in my environment and today I have finally had the time to configure and setup 2 machines with vPro.

I can log into these machines via their web interfaces and from what I can tell vPro would allow for two things:

1: Remote access into a machine and if I am not mistaken into hardware level.
2: Power on/off control from network.

Now these two sound similar to Remote Desktop and WOL hence the reason why I am struggling to find a use for it.

So who uses vPro here? What are your uses for it?

Many Thanks! :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
JollyJamma

Re: Intel vPro: Who uses it? Any good software for it?

Post by JollyJamma »

We used to have it enabled at a company I worked for incase the system went ( . Y . ) up and wouldn't boot into windows.
Useful when the servers in Namibia or the Cape. 1 click and the system restarts again. Servers sometimes won't come up after a reboot. Either a KB error or updates or something stupid. Some servers were prone to it but mostly it was a case of don't do anything stupid like change an IP address on a network card or disable the connection and don't shut down.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.