Volume Very Low!

Any software related topics go in here.
Koko_Lion

Volume Very Low!

Post by Koko_Lion »

Yet another issue I just can't work out. :(

Got a laptop on XP. You play a song or sound and you can just hear it if you put your ear close enough.

* I have checked the volume control and all sliders are way up. Have made sure all sliders are enabled.
* Uninstalled and reinstalled the sound driver
* Installed Winamp, same thing.
* Installed KLite Full codec pack, same thing.
* Checked all music and video programs and volume is max

Any other ideas?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Volume Very Low!

Post by hamin_aus »

Maybe you're going deaf...
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Have confidently ruled that one out mate. :lol:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

update dirextX to highest version you possibly can
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Its running DX9.0C.

That should be ok for Windows XP
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Headphones?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Thought about headphones or external speakers. Blown speakers are a possibility still.

Although, I thought blown speakers make a clangy/static sound. These speakers sound fine when your ear is right up to it.
garp

Post by garp »

I had this exact problem with an IBM laptop... turned out the problem was IBM's on screen display thing (whatever you call it) where you hit like "fn and F5" to turn the volume up and down, was all the way down. despite the windows volume setting being on max.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

This laptop is a one of the Sony Vios. It uses like a control panel thingy with extra buttons you can use. I checked that as well and it directly controls the Windows volume slider. So that's max too.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Sounds like hardware issue as opposed to software... maybe get some external speakers and use the headphone jack from now on...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Make sure it is using the right device for controlling sound - My old laptop could set either the speakers or a digital output as the controller in the realtek sound manager
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
garp

Post by garp »

Hmm. Maybe try a Live Linux CD and see if the problem is still there in linux.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Koko_Lion wrote:Thought about headphones or external speakers. Blown speakers are a possibility still.
Okay, so is the sound still soft using headphones?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

I don't know.

When I am back at the farm will check. Probably tomorrow.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Finally!

The headphones and speakers work a little better. The sound sometimes gets loud, but very crackly. Then dissipates again.

So I am as confused as ever. I mentioned the best thing I can do is to dismantle the entire laptop and try identify any loose or damaged wires, chips etc. I mentioned there is an assessment fee for such a task.

... Then turns out the sound isn't such a big deal after all and she can do with out it. :?