6 - 8k Laptop suggestions

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
Casket

6 - 8k Laptop suggestions

Post by Casket »

Hey guys

I made thread a while back for laptop suggestions in the range of 5 - 6k. After a few extra months of saving the budget is up at 6 - 8k. Don't really wanna go for the 8k max but if there no other way then so be it. (saving a buck or two for other haredware is always a bonus

Well same deal as last time. Will be used for work mostly and the odd gaming ( sum lanning of rpg and fps ). Doesn't need to run at mind blowing visuals, just decent played frames ( med settings and stuff )

Sum that i've come across so far.

Acer travelmate Series TM5742G - R 7600 http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-acer ... 80102.html
Asus X42JE-VX293V - R 6500 http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/asu ... b-hdd.html
Lenovo 59-036819 Thinkpad Y560 - R 7800 http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/len ... b-hdd.html
MSI GE600 - R 8000 http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/msi ... 7-pro.html
GIGABYTE® Q1580V - R 6000 ( no operating system ) http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/gig ... -15-4.html
GIGABYTE® Q1585N - R 7000 http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/gig ... 00rpm.html
SAMSUNG® R Series Notebook: R530 - R 6500 http://www.ikonicit.co.za/notebooks/sam ... 6-lcd.html
SAMSUNG R series Notebook: R540 - R 6800 http://www.prophecy.co.za/samsung-r540j ... 86321.html

So these are just a few

What u guys any1 of these or is there something better for this price range?

Thanx
Last edited by Casket on 06 Feb 2011, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: 6 - 8k Laptop suggestions

Post by Monty »

Link each laptop for us, so we can check the specs
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

OK here's the deal. I have a core i5 notebook and the battery life is not great. A core 2 duo based lappie will far exceed it.

You want as much RAM as you can get, a dedicated graphics card and wireless N. Another thing is support. Acer support is bad, Asus support is good. How long are you willing to wait for your lappie to be repaired? 1 day? 2 days? 1 month?

I tried looking for my lappie here as it is a good value for money machine but it's R10 000 here, not R7 000 like I paid.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I would go for Asus or Lenovo, based on build quality and support. Asus has great after sales support as JollyJamma has mentioned.
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

Why not look at a Dell laptop? There should be something in your price range! and there is good support too!
And they come out to you to fix your problems! i know, i have a Dell!
Casket

Post by Casket »

Thanx for the replies so far

Hows toshiba laptops? Here is a nice one.

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/Buy-Not ... -39491.php
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I'm fixing one for a mate as I write this. Stupid drivers. I like them but they are a pain to repair (Funny hardware used which leads to odd issues but nothing serious.)
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

If I knew of anybody coming through to SA from here (UAE) I would have told you to seriously consider buying a laptop form here with the current strong Rand... a special at the one big retailer here (Carefour - think Game) was a Dell:

14" Screen
I3
2GB Ram
320GB HDD
Discreet GFX 512MB Ram (most probably nvidia)
Free 500GB WD external
Price: 2000 dhs ~ < R4000.00

And many more crazy specials... for R6000-R8000 you can get one mean portable machine...

Only down side would be warranty etc. :/
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

And the Import duty Tax and wherever other tax they have come up with.....
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

thEnaileDonE wrote:If I knew of anybody coming through to SA from here (UAE) I would have told you to seriously consider buying a laptop form here with the current strong Rand... a special at the one big retailer here (Carefour - think Game) was a Dell:

14" Screen
I3
2GB Ram
320GB HDD
Discreet GFX 512MB Ram (most probably nvidia)
Free 500GB WD external
Price: 2000 dhs ~ < R4000.00

And many more crazy specials... for R6000-R8000 you can get one mean portable machine...

Only down side would be warranty etc. :/
That's really not that far off R4K here and here itll have a warranty for sure. Dell I know has an international warranty which is sweet.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

THE_STIG wrote:And the Import duty Tax and wherever other tax they have come up with.....
That is why I would rather have someone coming to SA bring it over... avoids all those pesky taxes...
JollyJamma wrote:That's really not that far off R4K here and here itll have a warranty for sure. Dell I know has an international warranty which is sweet.
Not understanding your post 100%... you are saying the prices in SA are about the same? If so, cool... it has been more than a year since I was in SA last...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Casket

Post by Casket »

Thanx for all the input. Decided on a Samsung P580 plus im getting it almost R 2k cheaper them they normally sell for. So it's a done deal.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:And the Import duty Tax and wherever other tax they have come up with.....
That is why I would rather have someone coming to SA bring it over... avoids all those pesky taxes...

It is better just to buy one here, the prices are not that different and it will work out cheaper and easier in the end.
Prime

Post by Prime »

JollyJamma wrote:OK here's the deal. I have a core i5 notebook and the battery life is not great. A core 2 duo based lappie will far exceed it.

You want as much RAM as you can get, a dedicated graphics card and wireless N. Another thing is support. Acer support is bad, Asus support is good. How long are you willing to wait for your lappie to be repaired? 1 day? 2 days? 1 month?

I tried looking for my lappie here as it is a good value for money machine but it's R10 000 here, not R7 000 like I paid.
That's assuming you can get stock of ASUS laptops here. Last year, you could wait six months for your order. I get the inside track as a mate sells them.

---

I've got a gigabyte 1520M with i5 processor. Mostly happy with it but like the others said, i5's are not good for battery life.
But you can upgrade almost everything on the gigabyte lappies yourself. Ram, processor, Wifi, Hdd. :)
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

So what did you get in the end mate?
Casket

Post by Casket »

Got the Samsung P580 - Bloody nice laptop aswell. My wife is very impressed. Scored sum nice browny points.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Screen must be nice-Sammies always come with nice screens.
juDge

Post by juDge »

A bit late but this is just awesome for the price.
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-dell ... 53624.html
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
MSI 570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III Power Edition OC
Coollermaster HAF 922 Case
Coollermaster Extreme 550w PSU
Samsung 24" LED S24A350H 2ms