Sous Vide Cooking

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Sous Vide Cooking

Post by Prime »

I came across this online. It looks interesting...and tasty :lol:

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/category/sousvide/
I’ve recently been fascinated by the idea of sous vide cooking – a method of slowly cooking vacu-sealed foods in a precisely controlled water bath to achieve the optimal doneness.
Follow the link for some culinary experimentation :D
doo_much

Re: Sous Vide Cooking

Post by doo_much »

Interesting but I wouldn't follow those directions blindly?
Set your sous vide water oven to 56°C. Add the vacuum sealed steak, making sure the meat stays submerged. Cook for a minimum of 1 hour, up to 48 hours.
AFAIK you need to cook meat at ~70°C to kill bacteria and pathogens. Specifically E. coli O157.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

63°C - or so they say... but that's for medium and i prefer juicy, so my gut will just have to come up with a plan B for dealing with unwelcome intruders...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I'm thinking we need a professional opinion here.

WIZ!!!!!
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Interesting form of cooking. I was looking at getting a setup as well. The Sousvide Supreme is like R7K though, so those DIY solutions look way more cost effective...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Sacre-bleu!!!!

Nom De Plume!!!!

You are considering buying a machine that will enable you to boil your food in a plastic bag... How avant-garde!!!!

Bonus points for it taking a farking age to cook... why not just stick meat under your armpit and run the comrades - that should get it slow cooked to perfection - and with only a little less hassle than sous vide!!!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

It will be a cold day in hell when I cook my fillet steak in a plastic bag or a carrot in a condom.
Johnny Fairplay

Post by Johnny Fairplay »

Cooking any food in plastic will give you 7 types of cancer according to Wikipedia
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

doo_much wrote:I'm thinking we need a professional opinion here.

WIZ!!!!!
Some one called? Check the other thread soon.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Johnny Fairplay wrote:Cooking any food in plastic will give you 7 types of cancer according to Wikipedia
the more i mull this over the less likely an issue it appears to be... as long as they contain no actual plastic you should be fine, (esp if it's polyethylene which only starts losing stability at much higher temps than those being touted...)

sure, i wouldn't use any old plastic bag but most of what you'd be able to purchase in a supermarket these days would have been spec'd safe for use in microwave ovens, which would require them to be stable to temperatures far in excess of those required to cook the food...

to be fair, i love a slow-cooked meal, but this just smacks of foody elitist twaddle... until i've tasted the apparent difference... (and i don't get how fillet could taste the same without a little searing :/ ...)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Johnny Fairplay

Post by Johnny Fairplay »

rustypup wrote:sure, i wouldn't use any old plastic bag but most of what you'd be able to purchase in a supermarket these days would have been spec'd safe for use in microwave ovens, which would require them to be stable to temperatures far in excess of those required to cook the food...
I've seen people put the fillet, plastic and all on open flames on the braai. Makes me wonder whether some of the plastic dissolves into the meat...