"Reprocessed" chicken?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

"Reprocessed" chicken?

Post by Stuart »

Frozen chicken horror

Bloemfontein - South Africans have been buying and eating tons of old, repackaged frozen chickens for years.

After a frozen chicken has passed its expiry date it is washed, injected, rebranded and sold again in leading supermarkets.

Reprocessed frozen chickens produced by Supreme Poultry, the third-biggest supplier of the birds in South Africa, are also given new expiry dates.

Country Bird Holdings, Supreme’s holding company, this week said the practice was legal.

Supreme Poultry supplies Pick n Pay, Shoprite/Checkers and other outlets with frozen chickens.

Thami Bolani, chairperson of the National Consumer Forum (NCF), slammed the practice yesterday, calling it unacceptable and misleading.

Bolani said the NCF would urgently address the matter because expiry dates within the current system “mean nothing”.

Instructed by management

Three sources with first-hand knowledge of Supreme Poultry’s operations at its Botshabelo plant told Rapport they had been instructed by management to repackage old chicken.

Johan Matthee, a former production manager at the plant, said in the almost two years he worked there, “hundreds of tons” of unsold chickens were transported back to Supreme and reprocessed.

Matthee is involved in a labour dispute with the company.

He said an expired chicken thawed for 24 hours at room temperature after it had been transported back to Supreme. Some of the chickens were treated with chlorine to reduce bacterial load.

He said chickens were never scientifically tested to determine levels of micro-organisms.

They were then injected with brine, repackaged and sold with a new expiry date.

Two other former Supreme employees confirmed Matthee’s version and said the practice had been “continuous” since 2004.

Within the law

Tish Stewart, spokesperson for Country Bird, which owns Supreme Poultry, said everything the company did complied with “the highest level of production practices” and that the company had won awards for the hygienic condition of its plants.

“Reworking of chickens returned by clients is permitted by law within certain guidelines and the product may be used for specified purposes after reworking, including human consumption, animal consumption or rendering.

“Reworking happens in Supreme Poultry and throughout the industry continuously,” she said.

This is disputed by Wouter de Wet, production director of Rainbow Chickens. Rainbow would never reprocess chickens because they did not know how the chickens had been handled after leaving the company’s depot, he said.

Stewart further confirmed that some of the expired poultry was treated with chlorine.

“It is accepted as being best practice in the normal course of processing and in reworking, as chicken is sold with the skin on and the law makes provision for this,” she said.

Any reworked chicken was placed in new packaging with new production and expiry dates.

Investigation

“It is important to note that most products are distributed on the same day of production and the perception that products are reworked for further storage is not true, particularly in view of the fact that Supreme produces more than 2 000 tons of products a week.”

She did not reply to specific questions about the issuing of “new” expiry dates for products that had expired.

A spokesperson for Shoprite/Checkers confirmed that they would be investigating Supreme’s chicken, but said they had strict quality control measures to ensure the safety of products.

Melinda White of Pick n Pay’s legal department confirmed that Supreme produced almost a third of the store’s “No Name” frozen chickens.

She said Supreme’s return policy stipulated that all chickens sent back would go to the rendering plant, where meat is processed into bone meal.

She said Supreme was a member of regulatory bodies that did not allow the renewal of expiry dates.

News24 source
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: "Reprocessed" chicken?

Post by hamin_aus »

Disgusting...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hehehe... Gelukkig koop ek nie no-name brands nie :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Prime

Post by Prime »

shoprite has the worst quality control of all the retail chains so I have to laugh or cringe at their response.

this is disgusting, glad I buy my chicken from woolies.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Actually the damn plant is not even a 100kms away from me..... *Kots*
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Rainbow, Farmer Brown and Bonny Bird is all Rainbow chicken, and they don't employ these shenanigans - so as long as you buy those products your chicken is not second hand.
Not sure about Woolies chicken, but it's probably also Rainbow as well.

All the major fast food places KFC, Nandos, Chicken Licken etc use Rainbow so they will be okay to eat from as well...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I lolled.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

jamin_za wrote:Rainbow, Farmer Brown and Bonny Bird is all Rainbow chicken, and they don't employ these shenanigans - so as long as you buy those products your chicken is not second hand.
Not sure about Woolies chicken, but it's probably also Rainbow as well.

All the major fast food places KFC, Nandos, Chicken Licken etc use Rainbow so they will be okay to eat from as well...
Don't have any of those brands here, :cry: :cry:... at least I can get farm chickens but they taste like week old leather dipped in acid, and the chicken involuntary given shock treatments to throw up on it self....

Sky Country FTW !!!

What is worse I have been buying supreme for like the last 3 years....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Maybe it isnt a bad thing? Means that it is 2000 ton a week that doesnt get thrown away. But is it safe for human consumption? Are the right steps taken to ensure that the expired one is in the exact same consumable condition that it was prior to refurbished ...reprocessed chicken?

Cost wise it has 3 bad implications.
Firstly if it is the producer of the chicken they loose a lot of money if they dont use this method. Their input costs would be higher than their manufacturing cost without a reclaim of funds.
Secondly written off stock. It is already a loss but can be sold off the poorer people at a reduced cost but again it is expired so you run the risk of beggers cant be choosers will sue because they get sick on what they can afford.
Thirdly the process costs money again. While your base cost is gone you add more manufacturing cost to the mix. How much markup is there in the fresh chicken you buy to compensate for the reprocessed chickens?

On a final note. I prefer fresh food. So should it be continued they should seperate into fresh and reprocessed catagories. The question now is just who will buy expired chicken and what would cost implications be for fresh produce?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Prime

Post by Prime »

lol, was it grey in colour?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Expired chicken should be fed to the pigs... end of story... no discussion needed.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Prime

Post by Prime »

StarBound wrote:Maybe it isnt a bad thing? Means that it is 2000 ton a week that doesnt get thrown away. But is it safe for human consumption? Are the right steps taken to ensure that the expired one is in the exact same consumable condition that it was prior to refurbished ...reprocessed chicken?

Firstly if it is the producer of the chicken they loose a lot of money if they dont use this method. Their input costs would be higher than their manufacturing cost without a reclaim of funds.
Secondly written off stock. It is already a loss but can be sold off the poorer people at a reduced cost but again it is expired so you run the risk of beggers cant be choosers will sue because they get sick on what they can afford.
Thirdly the process costs money again. While your base cost is gone you add more manufacturing cost to the mix. How much markup is there in the fresh chicken you buy to compensate for the reprocessed chickens?

On a final note. I prefer fresh food. So should it be continued they should seperate into fresh and reprocessed catagories. The question now is just who will buy expired chicken and what would cost implications be for fresh produce?
I can't think that chlorinating chicken is healthy either. as I understand it, high concentrations of chlorine cause long term cellular damage. And it destroys the meat as well.

its like using a nuke to kill the plague.

its a poor excuse for bad sales forecasting and over production.

its unethical, atleast put a label on that says reprocessed.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

StarBound wrote:Maybe it isnt a bad thing? Means that it is 2000 ton a week that doesnt get thrown away. But is it safe for human consumption? Are the right steps taken to ensure that the expired one is in the exact same consumable condition that it was prior to refurbished ...reprocessed chicken?

The fact of the matter is I was duped into buying fresh chicken or chicken pieces.Not knowing that it has been reprocessed, is lawsuit waiting to happen.As their packing does not have the necessary branding as "reprocessed" chicken.

Also there seem to be a price difference.Also of note is that if this becomes public knowledge I am sure they will loose a few contract as well as take a share price dip.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

i do not buy frozen chicken, always fresh free range chicken!!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
jee

Post by jee »

One more reason not to eat chicken...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

err.. you're all ignoring the root of the problem here... retailers and consumers...

retailers provide forecasts used to manage production - retailers order the deliveries of chicken... retailers refuse to accept responsibility for overstocked produce expiring...

consumers prefer to shop from well stocked shelves - some sort of conditioned silliness makes us equate bare shelves with "something disturbing"... so retailers are almost forced to overstock to ensure return business...

the supplier is doing what comes naturally - recouping as much as possible...

the sell-by on meat is determined by microbe count... specifically salmonella, in the case of chicken... with cold chain management being what it is, this has been extended somewhat but is still far from perfect. they can't gamwave meat, (which is what happens to spices, etc), so they have to resort to chemical treatment to reduce microbe count... the meat is still perfectly fine... (the skin, probably not so much).

also, if you're worried about chlorine, you must be living on bottled water... :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

And Tribble will say all the more reason to stay away from meat.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Prime

Post by Prime »

we have water filter jugs which remove most of it.

but water doesn't stay chlorinated, leaving it in the sun or high levels of agitation can remove most of the chlorine.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Prime wrote:we have water filter jugs which remove most of it.

but water doesn't stay chlorinated, leaving it in the sun or high levels of agitation can remove most of the chlorine.
or like ABI open a rand water tap on a rather large filtration system, using reverse osmosis, and bottling tap water as bonaqua.
Prime

Post by Prime »

yeah.

but reverse osmosis strips everything out the water. ABI then has to remineralise it. :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Prime wrote:yeah.

but reverse osmosis strips everything out the water. ABI then has to remineralise it. :lol:
Comparatively reprocessed chicken STIll kicks reverse osmosis's behind...
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Why did the expired chicken cross the road? To get to the reprocessing plant.

Now we know!
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

jamin_za wrote: All the major fast food places KFC, Nandos, Chicken Licken etc use Rainbow so they will be okay to eat from as well...
I saw in a different article that since recently Supreme also supplies chicken to KFC.

Ah yes, here it is: http://www.health24.com/news/DietFood_N ... ,60229.asp
According to an African Business Review report earlier this year, Supreme Poultry now also supplies chicken to KFC and Nando's.
Up to about a year ago my family actually bought chicken in bulk at Supreme... :puke:
We figured it's fresh, straight from the supplier. :roll:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

If this practice has been going on for a while and was approved by government, why has nobody complained about it yet? Because we can't tell the difference. Nobody seems to have been any the wiser. No food poisoning or poor taste. So? Come drop off your Supreme chicken at my place, I'll eat it.
Last edited by KALSTER on 20 Dec 2010, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

I felt slightly ill when I read this article... (only plus point is I haven't been in SA for the last two years but but what about before then oO)
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!