Player for *.h264 files

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Player for *.h264 files

Post by KillerByte »

Hi Guys

There is a long story behind this request but I am looking for a video player which can play *.h264 files or some piece of software that can convert them to a more common format like AVI or FLV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Player for *.h264 files

Post by Ron2K »

I've never encountered a .h264 file, but VLC tends to play most things you throw at it - have you tried that?
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Try VLC for playing it. Dunno about possible conversion as I do not deal with the illegal ripping of movies.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

VLC or Gom Player?

Also, k-lite codec pack? Usually you just need updated codecs. I'm pretty sure even winamp can play .h264 files. It's your standard run of the mill HD video format (apart from .mkv, that is)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Avidemux for converting it to another format.

If you buy your magazine you can get it off the coverdisc.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Super can convert just about anything too.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Media player classic works for me.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerat ... pu-guide/1
Accelerate x.264 1080p movies over the GPU Guide
By: Hilbert Hagedoorn | Edited by Ant | Published: February 11, 2009

Watching 1080P x.264 / MKV videos completely decoded by your graphics card
An accelerating GPU Video Acceleration Guide

Yours truly is a big movie buff, I like to playback high-definition content, preferably at 1080P Full HD. But face it, to be able to decode such content in a flawless manner, you will need a lot of raw processing power.

One of my more recent dillema's is that you can playback for example BluRay content fairly easily with software like PowerDVD, assisted by the graphics processor on your graphics card. Such a great feaure, as that GPU can do marvelous things when it comes to handeling that content. The problem with 3rd party vendor software like PowerDVD is however complex, if a file format or file-container is not supported you can't play back that content assisted (accelerated or enhanchanced) by your graphics card. And that's a waste of the GPU and definitely your CPU load.

I used that guide to get my setup going and I have not looked back since. Maybe PCF should get in contact with guru3d and ask if they can include this content in one of the issues? ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Awesome link Anakha. :D
Guess I'll be reconfiguring stuff tonight :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

No problem. I have been looking at getting coreavc however since I have hooked my PS3 up to my PC I will no longer be needing it :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Try VLC for playing it. Dunno about possible conversion as I do not deal with the illegal ripping of movies.
This is actually a file from our CCTV camera system which caught a guy stealing from our company.

The problem comes in when one wants to play the files on another PC which doesn't have the CCTV software on it.

Will try the software suggested. Thanks guys.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ah KB you might have a problem. I think you will find that vid file will only be played if the codec associated with the security software is on the machine. Failing that use handbrake to convert ;).
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I use SPlayer. Can play just about anything and even downloads subtitles, etc.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Handbrake does not recognise the file type.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Shark codec pack is fantastic - http://shark007.net/index.html
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Mike try this program to store the stream in an MKV container. With the extension being h264 you'd think the stream would be a normal MPEG4 Part 10 (aka AVC) based file, meaning it should be playable with ffdshow codecs. If you use media info to open the file what info does it yield?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

and Xiphan is the winner. Its an AVC stream.

Thanks man
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Pleasure. ;)