The Kinect Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: The Kinect Thread

Post by KALSTER »

How would you implement this in a fast-paced first person shooter?
What action would you perform to change weapons, fire or reload.
Evasive action?
A fast paced FPS would certainly be more challenging to design, but I am sure there might be a way. Microsoft has purposefully crippled the accuracy of the Kinect somewhat for some reason, so enabling the full resolution and with future developments I am sure it will become a reality pretty soon. To change weapons might require a hand gesture to the side or drawing a shape in mid air. Ducking for cover might require you to kneel down and the orientation of your arms might tell it what direction you want to to take cover too. This would be with a FPS with shooting areas similar to 3rd person shooters like Mass Effect where you advance past distinct cover objects. More open plan games like CoD would be very much more difficult I imagine.

But that is for shooter games. I am sure you will not have a hard time finding people that would murder their families for an opportunity to play WOW in VR. :mrgreen:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

As far as I know, Kinect was initially going to be more capable, but MS pruned the device specifications
to keep the cost of the unit on the right side of sanity. I think the camera has a resolution of 640 by 480.
How much such a lack of precision might compromise fine control I don't know.

It will work better for some games than for others. Some while love it, other not, that much is obvious.

I am trying to imagine myself doing doing the above, but in a fantasy RPG setting....

I'd want to adapt the interface to make skill/spell/potion/inventory item selection quick and easy-unless we're doing a mini game
for the crafting of items and mixing of potions.

/just off the top of my head:
I do think that one or two people might not want the controls getting in the way of the rest of the game. Whatever one does within the
game world should be as intuitive [admittedly this does assume familiarity with given user interfaces - I have seen enought to know that
using a mouse can present a challenge to some].....

That said, I would not be averse to trying such a system with or without the aid of a wand-like controller once the kinks have been ironed out-
even if it is just to lose the little self-respect I have left. :lol: Once the price drops substantially.

How easy is this to programme for, I wonder?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

and there you have it... the ultimate kinect game... playing with yourself...
Spoiler (show)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

doo_much wrote:I had a look at the Kinect and whilst the technology is cool, the games that use it leave me cold. (If I want to excercise, I'll go to the gym - better perv value)

This seeems waaaay more interesting. Thanks Siemens.
+1
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

There is a montion control thing for PC now which is apparantly the most precise to date. Portal2 is confirmed to support it. The only problem really is that it's not wireless(which isn't really a bad thing).

It's called Razor something if you want to google it.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Well if it works it works.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Now that looks pretty sweet.