Vista SP2 or Win7 ultimate

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Vista SP2 or Win7 ultimate

Post by wizardofid »

Hi guys so here my issue.I just had about enough of XP and the incompatibility with my Operton system and ATI GFX. Latest issue java on certain websites BSOD's with the newest ATI drivers.
I am not prepared to downgrade the drivers as there are a few improvements and a slight speed gain.
A another issue, XP some how magically refuses to boot every 3 months or so.Which annoyingly results in a format being required.

Now the real issue vista and windows 7 does not like the idea of having a NF2 board combo with a dual core CPU and ATI GFX.Which means disabling one core which is a waste but that is not the issue.I love this little system none the less.It's XP that is starting to annoy me.

Since I can choose to either use vista SP2 or Windows 7 which one would be the best to use taking to account I only got my windows 7 copy yesterday and installed it last night.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Vista SP2 or Win7 ultimate

Post by Ron2K »

Windows 7, no contest. Vista wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but in my opinion, Windows 7 is the better, more refined operating system.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Ron2K wrote:Windows 7, no contest. Vista wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but in my opinion, Windows 7 is the better, more refined operating system.
But taking into account the single core component would multi tasking be sluggish..I mean running windows media player for example and compiling or rendering texture maps.?
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

wizardofid wrote:Which means disabling one core which is a waste but that is not the issue.
If disabling the core is not an issue why are you griping about it :P

Ron is right, Windows 7 is the better of the two Os's, but having said, that you will get better performance from Vista running 2 cores than you will from Win7 running one.

Your choice....

Personally I would have gotten rid of that nForce board as soon as Windows t hit the shelves.
Prime

Post by Prime »

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

You get weird nonsense like a crippled printer control panel in seven. In vista it shows you every printer installed.
But then you get better control over your networking in 7.

Another example: The aero theme in 7 is buggy. Applications that run fine in vista won't run with the aero theme turned on in 7 and certain games won't run in vista but will run in 7.

It's weird ***** like this that makes it much of a muchness. :?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Ron is right, Windows 7 is the better of the two Os's, but having said, that you will get better performance from Vista running 2 cores than you will from Win7 running one.
actually both vista and win 7 would need a core disabled in order to work correctly :wink:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ditch the mobo. really :?
Or update the BIOS.
And get 7.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

SykomantiS wrote:Ditch the mobo. really :?
Or update the BIOS.
And get 7.
lol easy as pie.I actually got this system because it runs cool, and I do long stretches of texture, shader, and modeling editing both CPU and GPU intensive and then barely reach the 45c mark under 100% load.I don't have the cash now for another system besides this one is doing just fine runs pretty much every thing. Just XP and driver related problems.

Lovely youtube also BSOD's :cry: :cry: :x :x

weird that both java and flash BSOD's, if I can figure out the problem I can dual boot both just for some programs that I know has "issues".
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

wizardofid wrote:I don't have the cash now for another system besides this one is doing just fine runs pretty much every thing.
Reading through your posts here I would say it in fact does not run fine and is quite buggy. Are you sure all these problems are XP driver related?

I really have never heard of youtube BSODing a PC... sounds more like a problem with flash than XP there... and Java is like #6 on the list of most buggy software for 2010 so ya

Maybe you just need to reformat. If possible reinstall XP and patch up to SP2 only?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Dude what hardware are you running? If it's Bsoding, there is a fair chance its memory or disk drive related
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Prime wrote:Dude what hardware are you running? If it's Bsoding, there is a fair chance its memory or disk drive related
Every thing is 100% working as should ! :wink: Nope BSOD's on two different HDD, different SATA ports ect even a IDE HDD BSOD's so it is not hardware related.It only recently started happening with the latest drivers.But I can't put my finger on who the culprit is.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xab1de930, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: D:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

This is what I get from youtube BSOD
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
Sigh !
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Fully migrated to win7.XP and vista can kiss my...........

Other than a slight issue with stuttering sound in one or two games nothing that can't be fixed my a newer driver.

And wow!! why didn't I jump ship sooner.So much better and actually fun again.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

People always complained about how bad vista is and then finally I had to get it because of DirectX and I have had it for about 2 years and I havent had to reinstall it once. With XP I had to every few months. I'm going to move to Windows7 as soon as my lazyness stops. Either way will be a winner.
(ok sorry a bit late)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart