Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

DNS Issues need help resolving.

Post by Anakha56 »

Morning All,

So I have a interesting problem on our domain controller when it comes to the DNS records and it is causing hassles with Spiceworks not being able to scan the PC for information due to this problem. So let me explain my problem.

If I go onto the DNS console --> Reverse Lookup Zones --> <IP Range>. I get presented with a list of all the IPs in that range and here is where things go fubar. If I take a look at the IP list some IPs are duplicated and in some instances there are 4 entries on the same IP with different computer names. Is this normal? If not how do I resolve the problem and stop it form happening again? What could cause ones DNS to topple over?

My problem with Spiceworks was that whenever I tried to scan a PC it would return with a error about either insufficient WMI rights or there being no ports open. On the PC I am trying to scan I did try a ipconfig /release then a ipconfig /flushdns then a ipconfig /renew. This did not help, as soon as I deleted all IP entries belonging to the IP the PC was using, rebooted the PC Spiceworks was able to scan fine. However in a interesting twist if I go and search for the PC in the DNS via its computer name it has a totally different IP associated with its computer name :?.

So in summary if I go to a PC on the floor get its IP and look at the DNS records for its IP it has multiple entries for that IP with different computer names. However if I go and look for its computer name it has a completely different IP :?.

Sorry if this does not make sense because I have no idea whats going on :(.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Re: DNS Issues need help resolving.

Post by rustypup »

is scavenging enabled?

if you delete DNS entries on your DC, you release the underlying reservation, so don't be surprised if the machine is allotted another ip address...

you may also want to try

Code: Select all

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns
on the client with an eye on the event logs to see if something less obvious is happening...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

According to my boss scavenging is enabled because we had this problem a couple years back.

Will give your last ipconfig command a try. Thank you :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:According to my boss scavenging is enabled because we had this problem a couple years back.
it's not just the enabling... it's the configuration... check the DC's logs for, (i think), 25## series events... these would relate to scavenging errors...
Anakha56 wrote:Will give your last ipconfig command a try.
this won't fix anything, but it will flood the log if the client is having trouble with DNS traffic....
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Cool, will search logs now. Could the problem also be that we have 2 DNS servers going? One Windows Server 2003 and the other Server 2008?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote: it's not just the enabling... it's the configuration... check the DC's logs for, (i think), 25## series events... these would relate to scavenging errors...
I see nothing in the DNS Server logs starting with 25...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:One Windows Server 2003 and the other Server 2008?
what's the sync architecture between them?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:One Windows Server 2003 and the other Server 2008?
what's the sync architecture between them?
I have no idea. How would I find that out?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ask the pixies... ;P

i'm going to be smacked if i don't depart... hunt down DNS replication... there are 3/4 primary types and you will be able to identify quite quickly which approach is being used...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ah thanks :).

Have fun being smacked :P.