ISP's

Network problem solving and tweaks
DougODurban

ISP's

Post by DougODurban »

Returning to SA in a few months, after too long here in England, and will obviosly have to leave my present ISP, Waitrose, a superb supplier. (and who just happen to have their support offices at Game in Durban, across the road from the SABC where I used to work) Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, and fairly fast ISP in SA? I am not a gamer, just a regular user, and any advice would be welcome. Packages including phones, or TV packages would be considered as well. :?:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: ISP's

Post by Stuart »

For non-gaming purposes, they're pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other.

What size cap are you looking at? How much data do you use a month?
DougODurban

Post by DougODurban »

Thanks for getting back to me, but I am not able to answer either question. I have never, as far as I know, had a "cap", and have no idea of usage. I use the WWW for mail, general interest, and family research. No heavy d/l, I don't watch movies or d/l music, and don't play games. No facebook, youtube or other bandwidth hogs. Boring maybe, but it suits us.
Snapa

Post by Snapa »

Stu, Wouldnt the axxess just surf option be suited for him? havent tried them before so cant say what service is like etc
Q6600, 8Gb ddr3 1066mhz, asus Gtx560 ti, Haf922, x3 mouse, x6 keyboard
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, seriously, if that's your usage then look around for the cheapest option and go for it. Check out Webafrica, Axxess and Afrihost for cheap, decent offerings. I'd say start with like a 5GB cap or something and see how much of that you use. Then take it from there.

Another option for you would be to ask what offerings Telkom has when you get your line installed. You may get a good deal if you take them as your ISP when installing your line.

You could always head over to the MyBB forums and see what the flavour of the month is, but you'll probably come away with a headache.
Snapa

Post by Snapa »

Telkom has a "simple" option now for R369pm including line rental, but you only get 1GB blended data and after that is used you get 10GB local data per month, its a 384 line. and with this package you get free landline calls in the evening and weekends( up to an hour per call), free landline and internet installation( free modem on a 24 month contract), a 3GB email account..its only available to new telkom customers and if you need more data a different monthly account is possible( such as do 2 or do 3) or you can top-up wiht your credit card and any data purchased is available immediatly and if you want free landline calls during the day 3 other plans are also available
Q6600, 8Gb ddr3 1066mhz, asus Gtx560 ti, Haf922, x3 mouse, x6 keyboard
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm of the opinion that you should look rather at an Afrihost package. Perhaps the Bronze package with 3GB data. If you need to top up it's only R29 per GB, and Afrihost often runs 1-for-2 or 1-for-3 topup specials.
DougODurban

Post by DougODurban »

Thanks everyone. This gives me ample food for thought. Much appreciated. Regards, Doug
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page