Meinkraft.

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Meinkraft.

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... mpaign=rss
Building a hit, one block at a time: the creation of Minecraft
By Andrew Webster | Last updated about an hour ago

Like a zombie shambling into the light, it seemed to come out of nowhere. Then, before you knew it, it was the game everyone was talking about. "Have you played Minecraft?" people would ask. And then I did, and I understood. Beneath its blocky visuals lies an astoundingly deep experience. You explore, collect, and build, and then when night falls, you hope you don't die. It's the type of game that really needs to be experienced before you can fully understand it. Ars spoke with developer Markus "Notch" Persson about where the game actually came from and what we can expect next.

Like many independent developers, Persson started his career working as a full-time developer, in this case working on Flash games for over four years. But during that time he also worked on a number of projects on the side, including the MMO Wurm Online, which was created alongside Rolf Jansson and released back in 2006. "As the company I was working on grew larger, my working on games during my free time became a bigger problem, so I decided to leave that job and see if I couldn't make a game on my own," he told Ars. "So I started working on Minecraft in June 2009."

The game that would eventually become Minecraft actually stemmed from a combination of two rather seemingly disparate influences.

"The original idea was to make a game similar to Dwarf Fortress in tone, but with a Rollercoaster Tycoon type interface," Persson explained. "As I was playing around with a first person mode I stumbled upon a game called Infiniminer that used low-res textures in a 3D environment, and I realized that that was a perfect fit for both my artistic skills and the type of game I wanted to make.

"Right from the start, the vision for Minecraft was very similar to where Minecraft alpha is now, but I focused on just getting the engine written and making sure that the controls felt smooth. People really liked the early versions of the game that didn't have any gameplay at all, so I decided to keep that around, calling it "creative mode.'"

That creative mode is essentially a virtual sandbox, allowing players to explore and build however they want. But the recent alpha version of the game features a more structured experience, and one that has captured the imagination of the gaming community. The survival mode forces players to utilize their time wisely: building up a defense during the day so that they can withstand an onslaught of monsters during the night. It's every zombie fan's dream come true and even inspired a series of Penny Arcade strips.

"The response has been overwhelming!" Persson told Ars. "I kind of started to suspect that the game had some potential early this year, but lately it's really gotten quite insane. Seeing the game get mentioned on Penny Arcade was a huge honor, but it actually felt like a bigger thing when VGCats featured it."

The success of the game is especially impressive when you consider that Minecraft isn't even in its final version yet. Persson and his team still have a lot of plans to expand the world of Minecraft, as well as improving the business side of things for the budding development studio Mojang Specifications.

"I'm working on hiring some people to help with development and business, getting an office, and all that," he told Ars. "Then my focus is to finish up survival mode multiplayer, with working enemies and health and better cheat prevention tools for server admins. Once that is done, the game will be in beta, and there will be lots of polishing and tweaks to get the game ready for the final version. After the final version, we will keep working on the game.

"There are a lot of things that could be added to this game, and we'd like to try to add as many of those as we can."
Trailer if you follow the link. According to rusty this game is very involved quite entertaining so if some of you are bored and dont have SC2 or F1 2010 give it a try :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Cupis

Re: Minecraft.

Post by Cupis »

and apparently you need to get your hands on Anaglyph 3D Glasses :roll: :P
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

The problem now is the game became too popular and the server cant handle it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol:... the anaglyph glasses aren't necessary... the game supports anaglyph rendering, but that's optional...

@StarBound: offline mode is still available... until they sort out the server load issues...

given that this is an unfinished product, the content and gameplay is already staggering... there's something to be said for playing a game which focuses more on fun and ingenuity than graphics....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

This game is amazing. Seriously, I've probably lost about 10 hours of my life over the last 2 days playing this game :|
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

How big is the download ?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

A few MB :)
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Sorry for the influx of questions, site is blocked from our office.

How do you play this in offline mode?
Is offline just single player with online giving a multiplayer option?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:Minecraft wiki :wink:
Item: http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page is restricted.
Rule: Games

The URL “website” you are trying to access as listed above, has been blocked. Your request falls outside the usage boundaries documented in the “Internal URL Filtering Rules”.... carries on Ad Infinitum how much I suckk eggs and how much my mother hates me.
/wrist
effing draconian office :x
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol:

offline is single player only, but still entertaining - it also has 4 difficulty settings, (technically, mob settings), so everyone should find a happy balance...
minecraftwiki.net wrote:Gameplay in Minecraft consists mainly of adding and destroying blocks on a map surrounded by water on all sides. There are several different types of blocks, some of which perform special functions like spreading or falling down because of gravity.

With these blocks, players create large constructions such as castles, roads, buildings and skywalks, along with forms of artwork. A chessboard or giant picture rarely goes amiss on a server. Not only have users designed buildings, art, and caves, but also mini-sports. Using the current in-game features, users have put them to clever use. An example of a Minecraft sport is Spleef.

Notch has added a Survival mode, and is planning on adding Adventure mode and other modes to give Minecraft more gameplay. Minecraft is currently considered purely a sandbox construction game. Users who have bought the game have access to the in-development version, or indev. This version can and has contained bugs, but features the most recent work on Minecraft, including dynamic lighting, crafting, farming, new blocks, and a more configurable map generator.

Only Classic and an early test of Survival mode are available to all players; indev and infdev are available for those who have bought the game. Right now, the only public mode is Alpha. In the future, there will be multiple other modes and expansion packs.
the mode list being:
  • Creative - You can build anything for free, and there’s no health bar, and no inventory.
    Survival - There’s a health bar, an inventory, and you need to gather resources to be able to build and craft.
    Adventure (older Dungeons and Levers) - There’s a health bar and an inventory, but you can’t destroy or place blocks, you can only use items.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Tnx rusty - sounds interesting.
I'll check it out from home tonight.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Wow, awesome concept! At first i was looking at the graphics thinking.. really?! then in game it is absolutely amazing! Apparently i want Alpha :P but not keen to pay :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I can't stop playing :(
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

you playing free or Alpha version?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Cupis wrote:and apparently you need to get your hands on Anaglyph 3D Glasses :roll: :P
That can only be found in the latest Cosmo which rusty has already read back to front numerous times ;) :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

On topic...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... mpaign=rss
The true story behind the amazing Minecraft Enterprise-D

There is a Minecraft video making its way around the Internet. In it, you see the side of a wall, and hear a man's voice explaining your position at the bottom of a huge well. Then the camera turns and you see the immense body of the starship Enterprise, created using blocks in Minecraft. It's breathtaking. "The D was 'my Enterprise.' It was the one I grew up watching on TV," its creator, Joshua Walker, told Ars. It was always his dream to one day create a 1:1 scale model of the ship, and using the game he was finally able to realize that dream (albeit virtually).

Then Felicia Day tweeted about it, and the gaming blogs picked up the story. Now the video of that enormous ship is all over the Internet. Here's how it was made.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Wow!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Watched that video today! Amazing!
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

I definitely want to see the final product :P
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Can you guys play Single player on pc? and also can you Save?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

yes and yes...

alpha is the current publicly available version... it features survival mode only...
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Effing mindblowing !!
Wife walked into study and ushered me to bed 02:00.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

I play single player on the site, within my browser. It also does not allow me to save, hence my simple questions. I do not serr a link where to download a version to play offline.

You have to pay for alpha though?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:/... download link on the main page...

downloaded, installed and played - no hassle...

had trouble trying to pay for a copy, though .... :lol: