Foxconn Factory working conditions

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Synthesis

Foxconn Factory working conditions

Post by Synthesis »

So this isn't so recent and I haven't seen it discussed here. Thought maybe some of you would like to know this before making a choice to buy Foxconn products that include Apple, Intel, Dell, HP and other computer companies.
reports were leaked that revealed the truth behind the Apple corporation. A series of suicides, 11 to be exact, had taken place in a Chinese factory where Apple’s iPhones, iPods and iPads are all made.
Steel wire meshes have been fitted to windows at Foxconn's factory to stop workers jumping after a rash of suicides believed to be due to harsh management practices
Foxconn employs 420,000 workers at its Shenzhen plant where conditions are very basic with no air-conditioning
Source with interesting article
Foxconn is said to require employees to sign an overtime waiver that shields the company from government scrutiny over the long hours without additional compensation. Workers are said to bring in monthly wages equivalent to just $130 USD, well below what they would need to even buy one of the Apple products they help to create.
Other sources as well but you know how to use google to get your own opinion. I'm shocked and at a loss for word to describe how I feel.
Apocalypse Boy

Re: Foxconn Factory working conditions

Post by Apocalypse Boy »

My opinion is that if you don't like it.....Quit, it's easy, mo mess no fuss ( like cleaning the mess you make when you lop yourself out the umpteenth floor on to the pavement). If you pick the job, DO it, if you don't like it, leave. Just glad to see they don't strike for 4 paid vacations and 1/2 day work.....
4MA88TD-M EVO -- 1055T X6@3.3 -- 2x2 Gb DOMINATOR -- ASUS 5850 DIRECT CU -- OCZ 700W -- 2x1 TB + 300 GB HDD -- 3x G205HBMD EYEFINITY -- G15 -- X8 -- CUSTOM WATER COOLING -- LEDSLED SPEAKERS -- Plex pc, soon to be the the MIDNIGHT ZEPHYR
jee

Post by jee »

eish Synth.... i will investigate because from one of those companies i get about 150 pcs per year... and if this is true... i WILL change my brand...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Yes, please investigate. I only thought a summary was necessary but there's a lot more to this article. It's shocking how many brands they do manufacture. As much as I would like to say I will never buy an Iphone thanks to this, I just bought a R2000 Nokia phone. I buy a luxury item made possible by someone earning half of what my item cost. I've seen Nokia under their brand manufacturers somewhere in the articles.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Bollocks. An investigation was supposed to be conducted regarding this, recently, and as far as I know, nothing came of it.

Back at my school they also installed burglar bars on all the 3rd floor windows... To keep us from jumping out of them I suppose?

It's well known those people are underpaid, but a series of suicides? I don't buy it. Someone simply wants to cause a stir.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Admitted, it does sound far fetched, but why would they go through the process of installing anti-suicide nets and burglar guarding if they haven't had a few incidents already.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I was going to buy my son some takkies until I saw that New Balance are made in China. We didn't buy them. It is going to be tough to find some not made in China.

I really believe the exploitation of people cannot be allowed to continue.
@Apocalypse Boy - you say that if they don't like it - they should just leave. And get work where? Do you know how many people in China are without jobs? How will they feed their families? I guess you come from a privileged family - and have the type of career that you can walk from one job straight into another. They don't have that luxury. They do what they must to survive.
Apocalypse Boy

Post by Apocalypse Boy »

Tribble wrote:I was going to buy my son some takkies until I saw that New Balance are made in China. We didn't buy them. It is going to be tough to find some not made in China.

I really believe the exploitation of people cannot be allowed to continue.
@Apocalypse Boy - you say that if they don't like it - they should just leave. And get work where? Do you know how many people in China are without jobs? How will they feed their families? I guess you come from a privileged family - and have the type of career that you can walk from one job straight into another. They don't have that luxury. They do what they must to survive.
If you wan't to take on a cause, look closer to home, go take a drive through a informal settlement, see how far you get without buying made in SA.

PS. I'm 32 years old, my 1'st job was as a waiter and with that job bought my 1'st house, as a waiter. What I have I worked really hard for, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet :)
4MA88TD-M EVO -- 1055T X6@3.3 -- 2x2 Gb DOMINATOR -- ASUS 5850 DIRECT CU -- OCZ 700W -- 2x1 TB + 300 GB HDD -- 3x G205HBMD EYEFINITY -- G15 -- X8 -- CUSTOM WATER COOLING -- LEDSLED SPEAKERS -- Plex pc, soon to be the the MIDNIGHT ZEPHYR
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Apocalypse Boy wrote:If you wan't to take on a cause, look closer to home
Agree 100%
Apocalypse Boy wrote:my 1'st job was as a waiter and with that job bought my 1'st house, as a waiter.
So I would guess that you are still a waiter then, since it seems to be a very lucrative career for you.
Apocalypse Boy

Post by Apocalypse Boy »

jamin_za wrote:
Apocalypse Boy wrote:If you wan't to take on a cause, look closer to home
Agree 100%
Apocalypse Boy wrote:my 1'st job was as a waiter and with that job bought my 1'st house, as a waiter.
So I would guess that you are still a waiter then, since it seems to be a very lucrative career for you.
No, my liver couldn't cope, was fun though. Ever watched the movie waiting, thats EXACTLY what happens :)
ADT

Post by ADT »

Oh yeah Foxconn, been following this story for a while now already, since Bloomberg loves to spam about it

Did you guys see those anti - suicide nets they had on the higher parts of the building a while back? Gave me a good LoL :lol: As far as i know they've had it removed again
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I agree with AB.

You are so concerned about the poor souls working for Foxconn 11 000km's away, but we forget that most people in SA are unemployed and uneducated. Right under your noses. They live in shacks (these guys at least have a decent roof over their heads), they have to get water from natural resources like rivers and streams (these guys at least have tap water). I can carry on.

It's just that you are more concerned about where your motherboard, phone or designer shoes comes from, that you forget that most people in your own country does not even have a proper toilet!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

IcePick88 wrote:I agree with AB.

You are so concerned about the poor souls working for Foxconn 11 000km's away, but we forget that most people in SA are unemployed and uneducated. Right under your noses. They live in shacks (these guys at least have a decent roof over their heads), they have to get water from natural resources like rivers and streams (these guys at least have tap water). I can carry on.

It's just that you are more concerned about where your motherboard, phone or designer shoes comes from, that you forget that most people in your own country does not even have a proper toilet!
So it is ok that they are being abused because we have poor people here too?

Ah - so you want me to fund these people who abuse workers overseas - instead of buying locally? You think it is right to ignore conditions there - just because our people are suffering? What a narrow view on morality you have. And who says that I don't do what I can for our people? The thread is specifically about Foxconn - we weren't discussing South Africa and our poor. But yes - we have them. I try and buy locally and I do what I can, when I can.

I am sure most of us give what we don't need to charities, homeless people, shelters, beggars, migrant workers etc. Just because we help our own people - doesn't mean we have the right to ignore what is happening elsewhere. And just because we get upset about things like this that aren't here - doesn't mean we don't care about our own.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Foxconn employes 420 000 people and use cheap labour to turn a profit. Can you name a company in SA that comes close? And I don't call their living arrangements decent. You must have low standards to think those conditions are decent.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You tell that IcePrick88 Tribbs.

There was a story about this a while ago, with Apple in the spotlight. They are actively trying to improve conditions it seems like and are running occasional moral boosting events and such.

Foxcon on Wikipedia

Apple's investigations

Etc.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

KALSTER wrote: Apple's investigations
And where is the follow up to this investigation?

Also notice the following important statistic:
The deaths have drawn intense media scrutiny despite the fact that nine suicides among a population of some 450,000 workers is not that surprising, statistically speaking. According to the World Health Organization's most recent statistics, China's suicide rate is 13.9 per 100,000 people.
Sure they work hard and struggle to make ends meet, but they go to work every day and do their job properly. Their country is prospering because they don't have the bastardised mentality of "We Demand" and they don't strike either.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

bastardised mentality of "We Demand" and they don't strike either.
I do not think firing squad and getting run over by a tank, is on their short term agenda's.

There is a very good reason why they don't strike....local law enforcement deals swift and harsh with any one out of line....if they could, they would.

Frankly jumping isn't the solution....there are far quicker ways to do.

*edit*
Come to think about it, the mods and users here's wraith may be bad due to my insensitivity but frankly China's ban stick is bigger.....

Actually I find it hilarious that you take great care to nose around in another countries problems and then turn a blind eye to what is happening in your own backyard.?
Last edited by wizardofid on 10 Sep 2010, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Tribble wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:I agree with AB.

So it is ok that they are being abused because we have poor people here too?

Ah - so you want me to fund these people who abuse workers overseas - instead of buying locally? You think it is right to ignore conditions there - just because our people are suffering? What a narrow view on morality you have. And who says that I don't do what I can for our people? The thread is specifically about Foxconn - we weren't discussing South Africa and our poor. But yes - we have them. I try and buy locally and I do what I can, when I can.

I am sure most of us give what we don't need to charities, homeless people, shelters, beggars, migrant workers etc. Just because we help our own people - doesn't mean we have the right to ignore what is happening elsewhere. And just because we get upset about things like this that aren't here - doesn't mean we don't care about our own.
Fair enough.

But I assure you no difference will be made in their lives from this thread. :?
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Nope - probably not. But if we check where products come from before buying them - and take a moral stance - they will notice it eventually.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I see a company where the suicide rate among their employees is about 7 times less than in the general population. (A sign that it's not so bad after all?)

When a few suicides did occur, the company took precautions against it happening in future by deploying safety nets and burglar bars.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Actually I find it hilarious that you take great care to nose around in another countries problems and then turn a blind eye to what is happening in your own backyard.?
I don't see how one leads to the other? How does caring about what happens to people in other countries mean you turn a blind eye to your own back yard?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

I don't see how one leads to the other? How does caring about what happens to people in other countries mean you turn a blind eye to your own back yard?
Actually there is this funny little saying, "And why do you contemplate the splinter of wood in the eye of your brother and do not put your mind upon the log in your own eye?"

need I say more....A little hypocritical if you ask me....
You can do some thing about your backyard at least, saying you care about some one else's plight does not exactly give you moral high ground either.

Doing some thing about it, by not buying a brand still isn't magic carebear rainbows either, caring in this matter would mean going to you local importer and getting them to blacklist them.

Then I can say yes you deserve a humanitarian award.

But the Dictionary proves me wrong...saying it has the same effect...?
Webster Dictionary

Care : noun 1. The work of caring for or attending to someone or something. 2. Judiciousness in avoiding harm or danger3. An anxious feeling. 4. A cause for feeling concern. 5. Attention and management implying responsibility for safety. 6. Activity involved in maintaining something in good working order. Verb 1. Feel concern or interest. 2. Provide care for. 3. Prefer or wish to do something. 4. Be in charge of, act on, or dispose of. 5. Be concerned with.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Actually there is this funny little saying, "And why do you contemplate the splinter of wood in the eye of your brother and do not put your mind upon the log in your own eye?"
It has to do with you as person and your character flaws, not about the plight of your people vs that of others. It DOES NOT imply that one should not be able to care about both your own people and other people. In fact, that would just be silly and frankly, callus. Why do you insert the 'versus' in there?
need I say more....A little hypocritical if you ask me....
Please do say more, because I can't see a logical or emotional justification for such a stance. I can't see ANY hypocrisy in a stance where you care about more than exclusively yourself and your own.
You can do some thing about your backyard at least, saying you care about some one else's plight does not exactly give you moral high ground either.
It sounds like you are implying that caring about others can only be done as an attempt to win some kind of juvenile moral high ground. If not, why do you automatically infer this. Can a person not care about others simply because they are caring people and not because they are trying to feed their egos?
Doing some thing about it, by not buying a brand still isn't magic carebear rainbows either, caring in this matter would mean going to you local importer and getting them to blacklist them.
So now she is not doing enough? To really care she has to meet your standard of doing enough, otherwise she is just being hypocritical? Again, that doesn't make any kind of logical or emotional sense.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: funniest tiff ever... i feel it necessary to point out the following salient facts to permit the bleeding hearts an opportunity to curb their more fantastical delusions...

1) Africa consumes, China produces...
2) Blaming starvation and poverty on magical evil faery powers and not bad cultural/breeding habits is far more laughable than any moral slight you feel may be under discussion...
3) China is a scary, scary place where life is worth even less than it is here. (This is economics, not a moral quagmire - try not to confuse the 2). Typically, the factory owner will own the entire town, so "leaving the job" actually entails leaving friends, family and home town...

carry on...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

To be clear, I don't think they are having it too bad. It could be better, much better, but the fact is that those people have jobs and roofs over their heads.

I take issue with Wizard's non-sequitur of caring about people in other countries meaning you "turn a blind eye" to those in your own.