Worst pc's ever

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
Prime

Re: Worst pc's ever

Post by Prime »

Cupis wrote:For me, nice brand spanking new Gigabyte Setups. Ok this was about a year ago now.. but still not too long ago.

1) If you decide to plug a SATA cable in for what ever reason, don't expect to take it out, we unplugged the cable and the whole connector popped off the Board.

2) Power supplies. Life expectancy = 1 month average. We have swapped out about 20 so far... out of roughly 30 systems we bought.
I've been using gigabyte boards since 1994 and never once had this with any connector. Gigabyte is the only board I use these days. Who's your supplier? :?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Prime wrote:
Cupis wrote:For me, nice brand spanking new Gigabyte Setups. Ok this was about a year ago now.. but still not too long ago.

1) If you decide to plug a SATA cable in for what ever reason, don't expect to take it out, we unplugged the cable and the whole connector popped off the Board.

2) Power supplies. Life expectancy = 1 month average. We have swapped out about 20 so far... out of roughly 30 systems we bought.
I've been using gigabyte boards since 1994 and never once had this with any connector. Gigabyte is the only board I use these days. Who's your supplier? :?
I have been using gigabyte since 1998 (GA-5aa) and they are the most reliable mobo's i know, they have never once droped a IDE or sata conector on me, and just keep on going no matter how old, i will never go back to anything else other than gigabyte. Your experiences are realy very strange, are you sure they are gigabyte mobo's.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am a little surprised by people complaining about brand PC's, like AOpen, Sahara, Mecer and such. I used to have a dislike for Sahara PC's before I found out that they use the same components as found in custom PC's. Surely if the component fails in a Sahara PC you should look at the manufacturer, no? Very few of them design some of their own components, maybe more with Notebooks. Or are you peeved with OEM PC's because of the components they choose to use? Examples?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Well Sahara use super low quality parts in their PCs usually. The plastics (ie the cases and others) are complete crap.

Also, they generally use cheap/low quality components (cheap mobos, hdds etc).
That's my experience anyway, but that's also a while ago.

My worst are Sahara PCs. Mecer I never had an issue with, other than that they were super bland.
to ápeiro anima
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Cheap cases I get (I had quite a dislike for Gigabyte over poor quality keyboards and such), but what cheap components are there that might break down really? HDDs are all good generally (Hitachi, Samsung, WD and Seagate); you will be hard pressed to find cheap RAM that does not come with a lifetime warranty (even my Zeppelin's came with one), I have no idea what OEM optical drives they re-brand and use, so these might give problems; they often use cheap mobo's like Safeway, ECS or similar, though these aren't as bad as they used to be (Mecer uses Intel). I guess the motherboards have the most potential to give problems in OEM machines then?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Well Intel mobos these days are actually pretty solid. PC Chips and the other budget crap is what I dislike.

Also, I have seen some rather dodgy HDDs in use (cant remember the brand right now, but I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?)
to ápeiro anima
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Most cheap PCs I have seen had endless problems. I don't believe on buying anything less than midrange, I will rather buy an secondhand high end machine an a new low end machine. The amount of cheap PCs that went bust in our home is insane.
A_BULLET

Post by A_BULLET »

My friend still plays on a p4 1.8Ghz with 256mb ram and a geforce 5200
(September 2010)
Core i5 760
Palit NVIDIA GTX 470
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
G.Skill 1600mHz DDR3 Ripjaws
Samsung 1TB
Coolermaster Elite 430
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w
Buffalo 3 TB USB 3.0 External
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

KALSTER wrote:.......HDDs are all good generally (Hitachi, Samsung, WD and Seagate)........
:slap:
How can you call Seagate Generally good?????
The worst PC brand I have worked on has to be Sahara
Any PC that has a Seagate/Maxtor HDD has always been a pain as I have always had to replace them within less than a year.
I could actually build a wall (a very big wall) with the amount of Seagates I have had to throw away.
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
reyals

Post by reyals »

Ryan_Cooper wrote:
KALSTER wrote: Any PC that has a Seagate/Maxtor HDD has always been a pain as I have always had to replace them within less than a year.

I have 2 160gb seagates which are a couple of years old, which i still use in my current system(no bad sectors, no lost/corrupted data, nothing). I also have 2 40gb seagates in a 10 year old powermac g4, that is still working perfectly.
so:
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Who wants some? I got boxes to spare! :-)
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, I've had one die (Maxtor) after three years and they did have the issues with the 7200.11 drives, but generally they are good, judging from more than one user review. I know more than one guy who never go for anything other than Seagate's. I wouldn't call it the best brand though.
I could actually build a wall (a very big wall) with the amount of Seagates I have had to throw away.
Do you live under power lines? Cause that could explain more than just a bunch of broken HDD's...

Just kidding man. ;)
Last edited by KALSTER on 12 Oct 2010, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
MadFrog

Post by MadFrog »

Any PC my dad owns. It's not that the computer sucks, in fact he has bought great computers all his life. It's just that he always ends up in a setting screen buried beneath layers of windows and buttons. And then he sees the word "setting" as a command and not an option. He starts drawing sliders around, checking and unchecking boxes and changing values. And it's always a nightmare for me to get it fixed.

But... in his defense... sometimes the weirdest stuff seems to happen to him. String of bad luck that follows him around pc's.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Ryan_Cooper wrote:
KALSTER wrote:.......HDDs are all good generally (Hitachi, Samsung, WD and Seagate)........
The worst PC brand I have worked on has to be Sahara
Any PC that has a Seagate/Maxtor HDD has always been a pain as I have always had to replace them within less than a year.
What seagates are the best HDD's ever I have Lots of them and all work, even a 15 year old 1.2Gb medalist, its maxtors and Western digitals the die.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ Clearly you weren't around for the 7200.11 fiasco. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I did not read the whole thread.
The absolute worst PC I have ever ever ever worked on was a favor from my mom to our familly.
She bought a Dion's special Packard Bell 486DXII around 1996/7.

From day one we had crapp - from simple stuff like printer issues right up to continuous reboots and posting errors.

A buddy of mine's dad had a whole machine shop in their garage, we took that PC and totally demolished it with a press drill, it was wonderful to behold the millions of pieces.
KagutsuchiZA

Post by KagutsuchiZA »

I worked a an IT Technician and got quite a few pc's in to repair. I can't remember the specs of the worst pc, but it was very old with windows xp on it. I started it up and after 14 minutes(I timed it) I saw the desktop background only, no icons yet. after about another 5 minutes, the icons appeard. Took the pc about 26 minutes to start up.

The funny thing is that this guy came in, not because the pc was slow, but because he wanted a dvd writer installed. He works on this pc slow bottom pc! I never in my life saw a pc THIS slow.
ACiD_Omega

Post by ACiD_Omega »

I nominate Celerons the world over for this!
there is NO good reason for owning one, and they frustrate the [pick a word] out of any and all IT People
Confront a child, a puppy, and a kitten with a sudden danger; the child will turn instinctively for assistance, the puppy will grovel in abject submission, the kitten will brace its tiny body for a frantic resistance.
ACiD_Omega

Post by ACiD_Omega »

Ron2K wrote:^^ Clearly you weren't around for the 7200.11 fiasco. :P
+1 i am still about 110GiB from where I was in my Music Video Collection :cry:
on the upside -the 12s where pretty fast, especially in raid0. i have
ST250310AS
ST1000528AS
and 2x ST320620 something in raid0
Last edited by ACiD_Omega on 26 Oct 2010, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Confront a child, a puppy, and a kitten with a sudden danger; the child will turn instinctively for assistance, the puppy will grovel in abject submission, the kitten will brace its tiny body for a frantic resistance.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

ACiD_Omega wrote:I nominate Celerons the world over for this!
there is NO good reason for owning one, and they frustrate the [pick a word] out of any and all IT People
+1

How poor do you have to be that you can only afford a Celeron 430 (which is still sold)?
ACiD_Omega

Post by ACiD_Omega »

KALSTER wrote:
ACiD_Omega wrote:I nominate Celerons the world over for this!
+1

How poor do you have to be that you can only afford a Celeron 430 (which is still sold)?
You see, when i refer to Celerons, i speak of coarse of the type owned by businesses, the type bought by people who understan business but understand NOTHING about PCs
the type IT People have to inevitably fix when it all goes south

I HAVE NEVER OWNED A CELERON
MorneDJ

Post by MorneDJ »

The reason people dislike Sahara and Mecer and the other "cheap" brand PCs are the cases. More specifically the PSUs that come with the cases. The components inside is generally good, and I know that Sahara used to build ASUS MB's and geenral good stuff inside the cases. But then the PSU (R50 PSU ...) ... actually, enough said. You can have a ASUS Rampage III MB with the best components, go and feed it of a PSU that cost R50 and see if you are happy with the performance.

I used to have a Internet / Gaming cafe, and I bought most of my stuff from Sahara ... with time I traced all the issues back to the PSU.
I'm a right-wing, democratic, conservative environmentalist that thinks the spotted owl tastes like chicken...
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

yup cant agree more - sum of the Pcs that come into our shop are owned by zombies.the worst PSU i ever saw was a Super flower 750W - it blew while testing it and almost killed me.nuff said.

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
hobojvr

Post by hobojvr »

I worked all through university for the university between classes as general IT slave. There I discovered some of the worst PC's on offer. When new PC's came in, the old ones get passed down to the people lower on the food chain in the depts. Eventually you end up with old PC's that have nowhere to go. When PC's break and get written off, I pilfer them for parts. I use these parts in the unwanted old semi-working PC's. They are given hill-billy tune-ups (get RAM to 128 minimum, add Ubuntu, add cables, add mouse, add KB, clean fans and if possible oil bearings, fit a spoiler and add some flame decals) and shipped of to poor schools for free.

The worst PC's I had to work on were not the slow ones, but a certain model of Mecer (+- 2000gHz Celerons). The motherboards died at an alarming rate. The other large batch of no name PC's were afflicted by leaking capacitors on the MB. I could smell the problem before opening it up. I was like a mechanic, rolling out from under car: "Now there's your problem right there!" These MB's were truly "no-name". I could not find any info on them on the Internet.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

whoa that sounds like a nightmare :shock:

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]