Worst os ever your thoughts

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: Worst os ever your thoughts

Post by THE_STIG »

Well ok, but if you ever get hold of a copy of win 7 upgrade imediatly or upgrade (technicaly downgrade) to XP.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:Well ok, but if you ever get hold of a copy of win 7 upgrade imediatly or upgrade (technicaly downgrade) to XP.
Vista is superior to XP. Vista wasn't a good OS but I didn't want to revert to XP after using Vista for a few days.

Most of the people who complained about Vista were the ones whose hardware couldn't handle Vista. Yes it did have glitches and looking back since using Win 7 it seems like a horrible system. But I still prefer it over XP.

XP is outdated and should be scrapped. Using XP today is like using Win95 back in 2004.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

thanks but i'm good with both
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Bladerunner wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:Well ok, but if you ever get hold of a copy of win 7 upgrade imediatly or upgrade (technicaly downgrade) to XP.
Vista is superior to XP. Vista wasn't a good OS but I didn't want to revert to XP after using Vista for a few days.

Most of the people who complained about Vista were the ones whose hardware couldn't handle Vista. Yes it did have glitches and looking back since using Win 7 it seems like a horrible system. But I still prefer it over XP.

XP is outdated and should be scrapped. Using XP today is like using Win95 back in 2004.

How can you say this about XP it is not outdated it can still do everything (except dx11 and Aero) that 7 can do and it is not like using 95. 95 was unstable and incapable of doing anything usefull even surfing the net was tricky. As long as you have SP3, media player 11 and some other updates installed XP feels just as fresh as it did in 2001 and it is as solid as a rock.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:...just as fresh as it did in 2001 and it is as solid as a rock...
That's 9 years ago. It feels plastic and cheap. And like you said it doesn't support DX11 (not even DX10) or Aero.

The Vista / Win 7 kernel has been updated to make it more secure and efficient. As an example: most drivers are now running at user level, not kernel level, which makes the system more stable.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote: How can you say this about XP it is not outdated it can still do everything (except dx11 and Aero) that 7 can do and it is not like using 95. 95 was unstable and incapable of doing anything usefull even surfing the net was tricky. As long as you have SP3, media player 11 and some other updates installed XP feels just as fresh as it did in 2001 and it is as solid as a rock.
And for Katryn's purposes Vista is perfectly suitable. Sorry, but it's a bit of a brainfart telling her to switch to Windows 7 or XP for research, etc.
Prime

Post by Prime »

233mhz maybe.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/home.mspx
THE_STIG wrote:I will admit the P1 with xp on it is a little slow but it is still usable (games are imposibe to run) and the vista pc is also a little slow and no modern games can be played on it (crysis low 10fps on 6800gt) but yes the vista pc is more usable in the desktop (not as stable) and the P1 only works because it has 256 mb(EDO) ram, any less and it is slower than a sloth it glue.
Thank you for proving my point. Old hardware and new OS's should not be mixed!

It's more likely vista gives you crap because of bad drivers. And I can think of a few badly written pieces of software (i'm looking at you kaspersky 6) . Vista's release was blighted by bad drivers from manufacturers despite months of pre release access. The only time I restart my vista machine is when I shut it down, yesterday was the first time in months.

This topic is getting bogged down with fanboism.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Stuart wrote:
THE_STIG wrote: How can you say this about XP it is not outdated it can still do everything (except dx11 and Aero) that 7 can do and it is not like using 95. 95 was unstable and incapable of doing anything usefull even surfing the net was tricky. As long as you have SP3, media player 11 and some other updates installed XP feels just as fresh as it did in 2001 and it is as solid as a rock.
And for Katryn's purposes Vista is perfectly suitable. Sorry, but it's a bit of a brainfart telling her to switch to Windows 7 or XP for research, etc.
i got vista and wind 7, work with both!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I am still running XP on most of my machines - games and work ones - and never ever have any problems. And they are not slow. We do run Windows 7 as a second drive on one and on two of the laptops - and also no issues. I guess it all comes down to experience and how you set your machine up - never ever had problems that resulted from XP once SP2 was on. Our best gaming machine is still an XP machine - and runs everything perfectly.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Tribble wrote:Our best gaming machine is still an XP machine - and runs everything perfectly.
Clearly you don't play many DX10/11 titles... :wink:
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I have to agree with Stiggie.

Go look at your bigger mines and factories. Most of the users are still running XP.

Where I work (in the automation dept) we still use XP on all our production pc's.

When else was an OS used as extensively and for this long??
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IcePick88 wrote: When else was an OS used as extensively and for this long??
Which other MS OS lasted as long before the next version was released?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

ryanrich wrote:
Tribble wrote:Our best gaming machine is still an XP machine - and runs everything perfectly.
Clearly you don't play many DX10/11 titles... :wink:
Oh yes we do. :D But you are right - stuff like Starcraft II runs on a Win 7 machine :oops: But all the other machines don't have trouble with the games we play on them.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

In terms of "what operating system do I run", I tend to live on the bleeding edge - am quite happy to run beta versions of the operating system, tinker with it, and see where its strengths and flaws are. Did this with both Vista and Windows 7.

As far as XP is concerned, there's nothing more I'd like to see than for it to die out completely, and there's one very simple reason for this: its default browser is IE6...

Then, answering the thread title: I think the worst operating systems I ever used were XP pre-SP2 and Vista pre-SP1. I do remember causing BSODs on Windows 95 though, but those days are too long ago for me to compare to the newer operating systems. I went straight from a Windows 98 machine to a Windows XP machine and hence skipped out Windows ME, and judging by popular opinion that was probably a good thing...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

XP pre-SP2 was pretty bad. Pre-SP1 it was horrendous. But it was still better than ME.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:XP pre-SP2 was pretty bad. Pre-SP1 it was horrendous. But it was still better than ME.
Hell yea, anything is better than ME :x even pre sp1 Vista, but come on XP is the best and people should stop criticizing it just because
it is now 2 OS's out of date. What were you using before windows Vista/7 yes thats right XP and you loved it, yes you did. And who cares about DX10/11 the diference is not very big (DX 11 looks a little better) what counts is that XP works and vista well just doesn't.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Ubuntu is the worst OS in history
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

IcePick88 wrote:I have to agree with Stiggie.

Go look at your bigger mines and factories. Most of the users are still running XP.

Where I work (in the automation dept) we still use XP on all our production pc's.

When else was an OS used as extensively and for this long??
Our factory is currently going through the process of getting to be all 64bit Win7 machines ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
A_BULLET

Post by A_BULLET »

Win XP works good on older machines and Win 7 computers with more than 2 GB of ram.Vista is useless with Win 7 out.
Core i5 760
Palit NVIDIA GTX 470
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
G.Skill 1600mHz DDR3 Ripjaws
Samsung 1TB
Coolermaster Elite 430
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w
Buffalo 3 TB USB 3.0 External
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Not sure if I find this moronic or ironic?

Clearly I am missing some thing, some how XP has gone from the only windows OS you had access to from 2001 to when vista was released.

Suddenly it is not worth the disk is was burned on.Actually I find it moronic that people diss some thing they where quite happy to use to some extent, and then toss it a side when some thing else is released.

Then the funniest part, then make it worst than it actually was, and that some how makes the new shiny toy more superior.

XP is still a pretty awesome OS be it with or without any service packs probably comparatively more stable than vista and even WIN7.

One needs to understand than XP as such is a lot more geared towards intel and partnered hardware AMD hardware is likely to be the worst thing to use with XP...period...Actually I complete understand that most people here actually used more AMD hardware pre-core2 CPU's.

ATI drivers has the worst game support ever ! Not even nvidia actually had that many problems.

So I can't see why you blame an OS, mostly unstable drivers and hardware.

I dual boot XP SP3 and vista 64 SP2.

and on topic the worst os ever stable or not is windows NT. Even used win 2000 which I loved short lived but I liked it.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

+1 wiz that is exactly how I feel :)
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
KagutsuchiZA

Post by KagutsuchiZA »

Windows ME by far. I installed it twice in my life. Both times, it was on my pc for about 4 hours before I was forced to removed it(due to errors) and installed 98.