DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Antivirus Shootout

Post by DarkRanger »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for two other Anti Virus Software to go up against nod32.

Me and the other IT guy want to go the ESET route, but our boss isn't convinced. Anyhow, so we've decided to do a little test with the apps.

We are going to install a fresh copy of windows on a machine, get as many viruses unprotected as possible, install one of these apps, and then run a scan to see how they fare (cleaning up viruses and protection while doing the same browsing before the installation). Each time we will start with a fresh copy of windows on the same machine.

What other AV Apps would you suggest we run in the test? We need two other.

Thanx.

PS: Didn't PCFormat once do a comparison with AV software?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Antivirus Shootout

Post by GreyWolf »

Kaspersky and Avira
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I second Avira, I've been using it for well on a year now and haven't looked back.

There are some interesting comparisons between different AV suites here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm with GreyWolf if you want decent AVs. If you want an unfair competition then use McAfee and AVG. :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL yeah. I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, but that's just as good as NOD32, so that wouldn't be in your favour.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Stuart wrote:If you want an unfair competition then use McAfee and AVG. :P
:lol: :lol: That's exactly what both me and the IT guy decided on!
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:LOL yeah. I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, but that's just as good as NOD32, so that wouldn't be in your favour.
dude... how could I have forgotten!!! We are using MSE at work and to be honest I find it quite good. And we are using the free version!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:LOL yeah. I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, but that's just as good as NOD32, so that wouldn't be in your favour.
dude... how could I have forgotten!!! We are using MSE at work and to be honest I find it quite good. And we are using the free version!
I think there is only a free version. Or do I stand under correction?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's only a free version.

MSE is freaking awesome. I started using it when it came out and I haven't had a single issue since. Definitely the best free AV I've ever used.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:
I think there is only a free version. Or do I stand under correction?
You are right. I don't know why, but I had a STRONG impression of there being a more powerful version of MSE, but a quick search of the MS website reveals nothing. Must be working too hard. :?
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

kaspersky/MSE/antivir

pros and cons across the board.. kaspersky is finicky and prone to pranging, antivir and eset have become quite bloated but both provide excellent consoles, (which is a big deal when you're administering a large user base), and MSE, while free, is designed for dimbulbs - nowhere near the customisation functionality you'd require in a corporate environment...

choices.... choices....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:I think there is only a free version. Or do I stand under correction?
You are right. I don't know why, but I had a STRONG impression of there being a more powerful version of MSE, but a quick search of the MS website reveals nothing. Must be working too hard. :?
There is MS Forefront which is paid for, and, from what I've gathered, a enterprise aimed solution.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

I am going to back MSE as well as being good AV... i have been using it for a month or two now... I am pretty cautious with what stuff i visit, and flash drives i use, so i actually have not been putting it to the 'test'. Av-comparatives certainly think highly of it, which is pretty much good enough for me.

Someone help me out on this one though... i am a little confused about the licensing for MSE. I know its free, but what about for commercial use? I read through the EULA, it does mention something about commercial use, but i am not sure if it forbids it or if its not RECOMMENDED for commercial use.
Then there is the definition of commercial use, which is blurred between the different manufactures.

Nod32 all i can say is .. "Awesome". I have been running it on my network for almost a year. I have had a few detections but nothing that has spread. The administration side of it is also great. Remote Installation, with automatic config files, remote Scan Jobs, remote reporting.. man its just a breeze. I really enjoy working with the product. I would recommend it.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am ditching AVG for MSE. Let's see how it goes. :?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Been using MSE since it's release now and it's fantastic. You install it and forget about it. No annoying popups or worries, low resource usage, great detection rates. We also run the MS Forefront AV component on our one corporate domain which is the same as MSE but a corporate focused edition as Monty pointed out.
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

Any comments on Sophos enterprise version - we use it on our Macs at the office...never had any issues - and it kills germs...dead..haha///
Have you guys used Commodo free version - i think it is OK...what you owes think?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Our parent company uses Sophos but personally I use Kaspersky on all my PCs.

Sophos is nice if you don't want your users to have any control over the software
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

Well...We have a very strict policy when it comes to IT, so, no, I dont want those ID10T error inducing sausage fingers close to any functions, especially AV functions... :)