Encrypting a FileSystem

Any software related topics go in here.
DeeVeeDee

Encrypting a FileSystem

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Does anyone know if there is a way to encrypt a harddrive so that when you install Windows its installed on top of the encryption.

Like an encryption layer in between the HDD and the FS ?

So if you had to lose your laptop, the drive cant be put into a External HDD casing or PC to be read ?
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
rustypup

Re: Encrypting a FileSystem

Post by rustypup »

bad idea...

you can encrypt volumes and folders, but encryption carries a significant performance and space impact - which is why no sane person would run their OS inside an encrypted FS...

windows' folder/volume encryption is laughably easy to crack...

if you're looking to protect business critical info, you could use tools like truecrypt or PGP to mount and manage encrypted files/volumes using something a little more secure than NTFS defaults...

PGP offers a pay-for version and is now under the symantec umbrella :|

if you're looking to brick the machine if it's "procured" by some nefarious party, some plastique on a timer's the thing....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Since I don't have a ready supply of plastique (except if you could help me out with a few ounces?) Truecrypt looks like something I could do with.

Question as always is what does PGP have that Truecrypt doesn't?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

paid for support... it's a business risk thing..

neither truecrypt nor PGP offers 100% guarantee that data will be unrecoverable... there's a number of professional tools out there that slice through them like a sledgehammer... but they will certainly inconvenience someone looking to conduct a little industrial espionage...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Do they guarantee 100% that the data will be recoverable though? :lol:

I'm more interested in leaving tools as well as source and driver files on clients' PCs that are only accessible to myself. It'll save me a lot of hassles since one of them doesn't allow us contractors to use memory sticks on their machines.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

rustypup wrote:bad idea...

you can encrypt volumes and folders, but encryption carries a significant performance and space impact - which is why no sane person would run their OS inside an encrypted FS...

windows' folder/volume encryption is laughably easy to crack...

if you're looking to protect business critical info, you could use tools like truecrypt or PGP to mount and manage encrypted files/volumes using something a little more secure than NTFS defaults...

PGP offers a pay-for version and is now under the symantec umbrella :|

if you're looking to brick the machine if it's "procured" by some nefarious party, some plastique on a timer's the thing....
I'm supposed to be using HP but i use Lenovo S10's, and HP.
If i'm not mistaking,HP Pcs can encrypt data by hardware before it lands onto the harddrive.

But i suppose even that will affect the performance.
So i will probably have to educate people to encrypt sensitive info by means of some utility.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

What I understand from the op is that he does not want to encrypt the FS he wants to encrypt the drive itself, so that a criminal can't format the drive and use it again.

That is unfortunately impossible to do, but there are systems which locks a drive so a criminal can't use it. Can't remember any info on it though
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wait a bit... have you verified the drives support FDE?.... there's a slim number of choices out there and the system, at least what i saw demo'd, had a number of glaring flaws...

that was a year or 2 back..... maybe they've progressed somewhat...
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Hman wrote:What I understand from the op is that he does not want to encrypt the FS he wants to encrypt the drive itself, so that a criminal can't format the drive and use it again.

That is unfortunately impossible to do, but there are systems which locks a drive so a criminal can't use it. Can't remember any info on it though
No who ever steals the laptop can format the drive and do what ever with it, I just dont want them to gain the info on it, cus a HDD is just a HDD no matter whats on it it will be formatable.
(Unless the HDD PCB has some kind of protection on it)

I searched the forum before i posted,DAE_JA_VOO on this forum had some drive whch could do this "IRON Drive" or something in the line of that.
But its not what i want,
(Edit why is my text drawing boobies :lol: )

Ive never worked with trueCrypt
What i understand from it is, it creates a virtual encrypted HDD then present it to the OS as normal HDD space.
When ever the OS passes data to the drive truecrypt is in the middle and encrypts the data before actually saving it on the drive.
But like Rustypup said this will have an effect on the drive speed, and probably eat CPU power.
Most USB File vaults work like this, its simply a encrypted zip file which mounts as a drive. (Like ubuntu and Mac does by default with ISO's or DMG's)

I'm also not sure if you can install a bootable OS on this encrypted Virtual drive ?
If so i can only imagine the OS has to run inside a VM ? (Bit confused) Cus the OS will want to communicate directly with the hardware instead of truecrypt's Virtual hardware ?
Last edited by DeeVeeDee on 13 Jul 2010, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

DeeVeeDee wrote: But ( . Y . ) not what i want,
We have a saying in Afrikaans:

"Wat die hart van vol is loop die mond van oor"

:twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

doo_much wrote:
DeeVeeDee wrote: But ( . Y . ) not what i want,
We have a saying in Afrikaans:

"Wat die hart van vol is loop die mond van oor"

:twisted:
LOL!!!!! its cus there was a 'T' infron of its.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Best solution is to partition the drive into two partitions, run windows on one partition unencrypted and everything else on a encrypted partition. How you encrypt the one partition is up to you. Set everything in windows to point to the encrypted volume, including document and temp folders.

You could also run your pagefile in the encrypted volume but this will slow down the pc quite considerably if you don't have lots of ram.

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:You could also run your pagefile in the encrypted volume

<carefully ticks the "raving psychotic" box in Hman's profile..> :lol: it's a laptop.. .never mind the speed, i think the disc thrashing will trash it fairly quickly, whilst halving the battery life...
Hman

Post by Hman »

/You keep profiles of your intended victims? /

If the PF is really small and he has 4GB worth of ram it won't be that bad.

A_BULLET

Post by A_BULLET »

If cant use USBs maybe he can use CDs!
Core i5 760
Palit NVIDIA GTX 470
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
G.Skill 1600mHz DDR3 Ripjaws
Samsung 1TB
Coolermaster Elite 430
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w
Buffalo 3 TB USB 3.0 External
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Won't Bitlocker work?
PS I've never used it and last time I tried encrypting a folder I was still able to view the contents on a friends computer
So I'm just suggesting something:)
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page