The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Any software related topics go in here.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by ryanrich »

Eish, luckily mine isn't branded, so I didn't have to do that gold card business... You only have to do it once when your root though right?

That clock and weather forecast I use is 1 widget, Weather widgets (yr.no). It has quite a few different layouts, so play around with it and see what you like...

My LauncherPro dock is just the stock one, all I added was the glass dock underneath it from preferences. What does yours look like?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Mine looks like DJV's one, where did you get to see preferences for LauncherPro?

*edit* Silly me, found the settings... What a idjit I am...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:Not necessary, the phone may work but some apps may not. When I changed back down to a 2.1 ROM for some testing last week I kept the previous version radio to what I currently have, was 5.08 something, and my camcorder app kept crashing, then I had to downgrade the baseband back to a 4.x version before it worked perfectly again...
Remember, though, a LOT of ROMs were having severe camcorder issues, not just that one. In fact, NONE of the ROMs had functioning camcorders until recently :)

Anakha56 wrote:Mine looks like DJV's one,
Really? Yours looks like this: :?:

(seriously, there are actually icons there, they're just invisible :P )
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@ DAE No not like that! While I find that look to be awesome it is a wee bit to nekkid for my liking :P. No it was the default LauncherPro look that I had.

BTW Just want to check something, in order to buy apps you have to have a rooted device?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:BTW Just want to check something, in order to buy apps you have to have a rooted device?
Here in SA, yes. In order to access paid apps, you need to use an app that tricks your phone into making it display itself as a phone from a carrier in a country that has paid apps, and in order to do that trick, you need to be root :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Guys, this is what I feel like right now:

Do yourself a favour and download Swiftkey. Just do it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: It is nifty however I am not sure if I like it. I wish I got the phone while the Swype beta was still up so I can really compare. I will have to use it for +- 1 week to see if this makes any difference...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, I disabled it :P It's amazing, though. If I weren't SO heavily dependent on the HTC_IME phonepad, I'd give this a go, but I'm just TOO used to my keyboard :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I'm using the stock Android keyboard now and make so many less errors compared to the HTC one. This one is more like the iPhone keyboard which probably explains it...
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Hello,

I've read somewhere (I may have been wrong though) that the Desire (or possibly just Android itself, but once again... could be wrong :P) doesn't support Divx.

If not, surely there'd be some sort of Android codec one could use? Or perhaps use some third party media app?

Also, I heard Exchange support was lacking. Any news on that?

Ta!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Define lacking? My Exchange setup with working is working like a charm. :)

As for your question of video play, you can download a app called Rockplayer that will play DivX its only problem is that sometimes it loses the audio and on mkv files it stutters bad... :(
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.slashgear.com/android-fans-c ... SlashGear)
If you are a big fan of the Android OS and like the little green robot figure that serves as the logo, you can get your own Android figure. A company called Dyzplastic has teamed with Google to produce an official and approved line of Android Mini Collectibles Series 01 figures.

The figures will be sold individually or by the case and you never know what you are going to get. The Android figures are packed in a blind box and come in plain green and several other paint schemes. A case has 16 of the figures in it. Each figure is three inches tall.

The sets are sold out right now, but more are coming. A complete case sells for $112 and individual figures are $7.25. The plain green Android will be three out of each case with other designs being rarer. Some like the Albino design will be only one out of a case and there are some designs that aren't found in each case.
I so want...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Exchange is fine as is DivX (with Rock, as Anakha has mentioned). I think Froyo should speed things up with your .mkv files, have you rooted and loaded a new ROM yet? :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote:Exchange is fine as is DivX (with Rock, as Anakha has mentioned). I think Froyo should speed things up with your .mkv files, have you rooted and loaded a new ROM yet? :P
Not yet, work has been helluva busy on night shift for some reason :?. Next week I am day so it wont be happening then. I am really hoping to get it done tonight though...
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Aah thanks.

Sunday I'm going Desire hunting!

My first decent phone on my first contract. Even got all the paperwork geared up and ready.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Damn :(...

Right so I followed these instructions to the letter for the goldcard: http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to ... -goldcard/

And I keep being told that my card is damaged and needs to be formatted :( *sigh*. Luckily I back up all my important data such as vids n pics but still its not nice to see and according to the last bit:
If it asks/tells you to reformat the card, then try steps 13 – 19 again. If it gives you the same error again, then try a different memory card (Erlern said it didn’t work for him until he finally went and bought a Kingston 2GB card, then it worked on that card).
So I have to buy a new memory card anyway... :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Eish... And you're 100% sure you need to use a gold card? Have you tried just rooting the normal way?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryan I know for my WinMO device if I tried to install a custom ROM without unlocking it it kill the phone so I dont know what would happen if the rooting attempt fails. Any idea?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Got no idea man, but I think it just wouldn't root it, I don't think it would be able to brick it. Like if it's locked down it just won't go further and won't make any changes...

I'm not buying you a new one if it does brick it though, so take that with a grain of salt... :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well I think it is now rooted with the help of http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709146 UnrEVOked 3.1. Besdies loading a new ROM is there anyway to test that it is rooted?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Okay so I installed Titanium Backup and it worked so yay I r rooted. :D Quick question, do you go radio first then the ROM of choice? Or ROM then Radio?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Awesome! I don't think it matters, but I've always loaded the ROM and booted into it, then rebooted into recovery and loaded the radio...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:Okay so I installed Titanium Backup and it worked so yay I r rooted.
AWESOME!!!!
ryanrich wrote:Awesome! I don't think it matters, but I've always loaded the ROM and booted into it, then rebooted into recovery and loaded the radio...
Yep, that's what I usually do. Rom first, then the Radio.

So Anakha, what ROM are you going to flash to first? :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryan recomended I start with this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726300

So I shall start there, its got Sense so it wont be to drastic a learning curve ;). However I do like the idea of a stock Android Froyo ROM...

*edit* A lot of ROM threads are talking about how you need a second partition a ext, A: Why? B: Easy guide to do this?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:ryan recomended I start with this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726300

So I shall start there, its got Sense so it wont be to drastic a learning curve ;). However I do like the idea of a stock Android Froyo ROM...

*edit* A lot of ROM threads are talking about how you need a second partition a ext, A: Why? B: Easy guide to do this?
That's a great ROM to go with.

Okay, the second partition:

By default, Apps were always installed to the phone's internal memory (this is pre-Froyo). The problem with this is that your phone can only has a little bit of memory, and it's not all that tough to fill it up with apps. So the devs on XDA and so such (I think it was them) came up with an Apps2SD mechanism that allows you to install apps to your SD card, meaning that you'll essentially never run out of space to install apps. There's are TWO versions of Apps2SD: The old (or Legacy) version, which requires a second partition on the SD card, and the newer version that is actually part of Froyo. The newer version is TERRIBLE, because the moment you mount the SD card to your PC with a cable, all your apps are "unplugged" from the phone, and this kills all your widgets and causes app issues (personal experience). So you want to do it the old way.

So here's what you do. Search the market for ROM Manager. ROM Manager has an SD Card format section. Create a 512MB partition on your SD card and you'll be good forever :P Just backup your MC before you do this, your card will be formatted once it's done.

Once you're done with this you flash to the new ROM that Ryan linked you to. From then on, your apps will go straight to SD. Very very important feature this :)